Wardrobe Woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wardrobe Woes...

Okay, I'm sure everyone here as experienced this already...

I need new clothes. Most/All of the clothes I have now were from HS and beginning of college. Since then, my body has changed drastically and now I cannot wear half the things I currently own.

I'm not a big guy, 5'9" and 165 lbs, but I can already start feeling the inconvenience of shopping for clothes (primarily simple t-shirts) that have a nice fit to them on arms and chest (read: not tight or snug, relaxed) and also have a reasonable length to them (read: not 6+ inches below waist line).

I've searched cl forum and bb.com for this, and came up with a few reasonable leads after sorting through a lot of troll posts.

As a precursor, I'll say that I have no taste/knowledge/expertise of fashion and clothing, so bear with we as I try and make sense of this...

As I was going through the local mall today, I tried to remember the different brands and associate them with a certain "style."

Here are the "more popular" brands I tended to see:

A|X Armani Exchange
    Abercrombie & Fitch
    Aeropostale
    American Eagle Outfitters
    Banana Republic
    Buckle
    Eddie Bauer
    Express
    Fast Forward
    Fossil Authentic Jeans
    Gap
    Lucky Brand
    Metropark
    Old Navy
    PacSun

Now, stereotypes and bashing aside, each of these brands, I'd say has a "style" they each flaunt. In example, I see that Abercrombie tends to a tighter feel on the chest and shorter sleeves with a snug fit. This, I know, I do not want. I would prefer a slightly relaxed feel on the chest and arms, but something that is tighter around the waist and doesn't look like a dress (you know what I mean...).

I haven't been able to research all of these brands to see what works well.

Armani Exchange was recommended, which was noted to tend to a tighter pull on the core of the upper body, but their shirts cost about $100. :\

What brands/lines of clothing or types do you guys recommend for this? I'm not exactly that huge yet, but at the rate I'm growing right now, and for my goals by end of this year, I definately know I'll be having a problem with clothes soon.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mikeyp; 07-06-2006, 09:06 PM.

Tighter Around the waste huh? Eat Big Mac's 10x a day and your waist line will be tight in no time

Comment

Ok, and CL forums sink closer to the level of BB.com, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyp
        Ok, and CL forums sink closer to the level of BB.com, thanks.
        Someone has no sense of humor

Comment

check out some calvin klein stuff..

express is also good...
          www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Ya Ax is pretty expensive but if you can find a time when they are havin a sale there are good deals...also check out hollister co.
            "Man you keep eatin' those, youre gonna turn INTO a chicken."

Comment

never heard of any of those brands...in australia NO ONE WOULD KNOW WHO U ARE LOL

Comment

^^ disagree
                I've got some A&F and a fossil watch, gap cap.. hehe

but mikey dude, if you look good just do what mr aries does, just go shirtless and save the hassle

Comment

Abercrombie and Hollister are owned by the same group I believe and all of their clothing is way to tight. I can't even buy XXL shirts there because they are way to tight across the chest/back and shoulders/arms.

Check out Buckle and Express. I've gotten a lot of clothes from buckle lately and I'm really starting to dig the store. They also sell Lucky and some other brands. For some pimp shoes, check out Aldo.

Comment

yeah i wear A&F..and i'm in Aus..i havent seen it at any shops so yeah Ebay is my friend, i find their T-shirts tend to be too short at times but the Polo's are heaps good
                    You dont get results sitting outside

Comment

$100 for an A|X shirt? whats your location??? The ones I've bought have never been that much. You can also order them online directly from their site.

I used to wear a lot of abercrombie and hollister and then....I saw a picture of mike jeffries (Their CEO). I was afraid of turning out like that so never ever again. Also I feel as if abercrombie is very overpriced for what you're getting. A knit-tee might be $30 at both abercrombie and A|X, but put both beside each other and then tell me how much you want to make a pillow out of the A|X shirt...They're comfy.

It all really depends on what you're looking for though, and loose fitting isn't enough of a description for me to narrow it down for you. Are you looking for clothes to just bum around in, or are these geared more towards going out - maybe even going clubbing. Another extremely important factor is how much you want to pay.

American Eagle and Aeropastle are relatively cheap casual wear companies. They also both typically focus around more loose clothing(you can get tight clothing anywhere if you're not buying an appropriate size)

Clothing at Express for Men or Banana Republic is gonna cost you a bit more but its not ridiculous and its more metro then the previous choices. It definitely looks more professional/sophisticated I'd say.

Some of the brand names you listed are designers and they are going to be very pricey. If you want to drop the cash its typically very nice clothing, but its more of a personal decision as to whether or not you want to drop it for jeans or a shirt and not spend it elsewhere. Personally, I own a ginormous amount of clothing and out of all my pants I love my diesel jeans the most. They were ridiculously expensive and most people will think its insane to spend that much for a piece of clothing...personal decision though and if you are unsure about what to wear I wouldn't reccomend that route.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you - you have to wear the clothing each and every day. Shop around and decide whats best for you. Remember, clothing doesn't make the man...it just keeps you from walking around naked.

Comment

I tend to have the problem of finding a store who's clothes I can fit into. I'm 6' around 285ish, and I just recently had to start buying xxl t-shirts becuase my back is getting too wide. So any of those teeny bopper stores are out, the gap I like becuase they offer respectable sizes that look nice. But for t-shirts and that, I go to thrift stores. I'm not too proud spending 7 bucks for 15 t-shirts - and if they rip, oh well you're out .50 cents. My closet is full of them
                        A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

dude, fyuck style. buy cheap clothes from all the stores above (learn where the sales rack is).

style is who you are and how you wear the clothes, not what is on them or who made them. find stuff your comfrotable with and pimp it out. i like to rock polos and button up dress shirts with a tee under neath ( or a beater depending on stituation/weather)

find nice jeans and khakis, a few pairs diff shades/colors..

ONLY BUY WHITE SHOES
                          ONLY BUY WHITE HATS

/\/\ these 2 = pimpn' keep them clean too.
                          Last edited by jiritt0; 07-07-2006, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunzeh
                            yeah i wear A&F..and i'm in Aus..i havent seen it at any shops so yeah Ebay is my friend, i find their T-shirts tend to be too short at times but the Polo's are heaps good
                            did u forget to mention that u got into the unique-ness of buying A&F on eBay from ME and also that u have more than one of the same shirts/polos as ME and there have been a few awkward situations where we both wore the same shit coz u dont wanna find YOUR OWN labels/styles to wear. Same with the "Big Pony" polos too!!

Comment

Quiksilver Tees are basically the only ones I have that don't stretch out around the neck... FWIW

I 100% agree with JD's post above (except I wouldn't personally be caught dead in a polo)... keep it clean... **** style / brand name

Comment

Working...
                              X