Incline DB Press - what angle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incline DB Press - what angle?

Usually I keep the incline to about 45 degrees and feel the strain in my shoulders (particularly the front deltoid) ... today I dropped the incline to about 30 degrees and really felt a solid pump in my chest ... i got done with my third set and could tell that my chest was worked ... more than when I have the incline a little steeper ... I think I'm going to stick to about 30 degrees from now on

so, what incline do you use and why?
    jdouchebag for president

i dont know what degree i use but i alternate between the 2nd notch up from flat to the 3rd notch up on an ajustable bench i feel i have alot more control over squeezing my chest and contracting the weight. but im a noob so im probably doing it wrong

Comment

You should use both for over all upper chest development. Working the 30 degree angle is good for upper chest and the 45 degree angle is good for the shoulder-chest tie in area.
      There will be plenty of obstacles in life, don't allow yourself to become one of them.

Click Here For My Green MAGnitude Log

Current Stats:
      Sex: Male
      Height: 5'11
      Weight: 195
      Neck: 16
      Chest: 43
      Waist: 32
      Arms: 16 1/2
      Forearm: 12
      Wrist: 7
      Thigh: 24 1/2
      Calve: 15 1/2

Comment

it should always be around 30-35 degrees
        www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
          it should always be around 30-35 degrees
          can you elaborate? this is contrary to keith's reply just above yours
          jdouchebag for president

Comment

If you go above the 30 35 degree angle more stress is brought into the front deltoids. To effectively work the upper chest the ideal angle is 30-35.

Comment

Originally posted by strester
              can you elaborate? this is contrary to keith's reply just above yours

upper chest is upper chest.. I dont' split hair when it comes to doing incline. I stick to 30-35 degrees to work everything near my upper chest...

I'm not certain what the chest/shoulder tie in is.. THere's no muscle there, just a separatiton between upper chest and front deltoids..
              www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                If you go above the 30 35 degree angle more stress is brought into the front deltoids. To effectively work the upper chest the ideal angle is 30-35.

thank you captain obvious!
                www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

upper chest is upper chest.. I dont' split hair when it comes to doing incline. I stick to 30-35 degrees to work everything near my upper chest...

I'm not certain what the chest/shoulder tie in is.. THere's no muscle there, just a separatiton between upper chest and front deltoids..
                  That's because you have a small chest!!!

:Runs and hides:

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                    That's because you have a small chest!!!

:Runs and hides:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG IT"S SO ON!!!!!!!
                    www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG IT"S SO ON!!!!!!!

Comment

IFBB Rule Book
                        Page 36
                        APPENDIX 2
                        HOW TO ASSESS AN ATHLETE’S PHYSIQUE
                        1.1 General:
                        When assessing a competitor’s physique, a judge should follow a routine procedure which will allow a
                        comprehensive assessment of the physique as a whole. During the comparisons of the compulsory
                        poses, the judge should first look at the primary muscle group being displayed. The judge should
                        then survey the whole physique, starting from the head, and looking at every part of the physique in a
                        downward sequence, beginning with general impressions, and looking for muscular bulk, balanced
                        development, muscular density and definition. The downward survey should take in the head, neck,
                        shoulders, chest, all of the arm muscles, front of the trunk for pectorals, pec-delt tie-in, abdominals,
                        waist, thighs, legs, calves and feet. The same procedure for back poses will also take in the upper
                        and lower trapezius, teres and infraspinatus, erector spinae, the gluteus group, the leg biceps group
                        at the back of the thighs, calves, and feet. A detailed assessment of the various muscle groups
                        should be made during the comparisons, at which time it helps the judge to compare muscle shape,
                        density, and definition while still bearing in mind the competitor’s overall balanced development. The
                        comparisons of the compulsory poses cannot be over-emphasized as these comparisons will help the
                        judge to decide which competitor has the superior physique from the standpoint of muscular bulk,
                        balanced development, muscular density and definition.

http://webcast.bodybuilding.com/fitshow/war5.htm

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/joe15.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/pecs.htm

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/joe6.htm

Attached Files
                        There will be plenty of obstacles in life, don't allow yourself to become one of them.

Current Stats:

Comment

i'm not understanding the message presented in that post..

the upper pec connects to the front delts, and there's no muscle in between.. the 30-35 degree incline press sufficiently works the entire upper chest area.
                          www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

That was my point in your previous post you stated that “I'm not certain what the chest/shoulder tie in is...”... That area is known as the pec-delt tie-in area which for most is hard to develop. For me and in a lot of articles that I’ve read the 30 – 35 degree angle does not hit this area. I try to vary my angles on the adjustable incline bench during each workout doing sets at both a 30 and at a 45 degree angle to really focus on my entire upper chest. Maybe for some it is splitting hairs but for me it’s a must in developing the most well rounded and balanced chest I can. The links I posted were to videos and articles supporting this line of thinking.

I’m not saying your wrong and I’m right I’m just stating another opinion we all have different genetics.

Current Stats:

Comment

all i'm saying is that there's the pectoral muscle, and then the deltoid muscle.. There's nothing in between these two muscles.. The tie-in you are referring to is simply where the upper pec connects into the front delt.

I would do front raises to work the front delt, and incline presses to work the upper pec.
                              www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

Working...
                              X