1 month away from the gym . . . need some thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 month away from the gym . . . need some thoughts

In September I will be out of town for the month doing an away rotation the entire month (I'm doing a rotation at another medical school to see how I like their neurosurgery residency program) and hence will be away from my gym for an entire month. I'm not yet sure if I will have access to that University's gym or if I can find a local gym that will let me get a 1 month membership . . . or even if I will have free time to lift.

Anyway, I thought I would check to see if anyone had ideas for ways to keep from losing too much muscle mass during that month if I cannot gain access to a gym. obviosuly I can do things like push-ups, lunges etc. Just looking for some input on ways to get maximal benefit with minimal time.

Thanks in advance
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
    In September I will be out of town for the month doing an away rotation the entire month (I'm doing a rotation at another medical school to see how I like their neurosurgery residency program) and hence will be away from my gym for an entire month. I'm not yet sure if I will have access to that University's gym or if I can find a local gym that will let me get a 1 month membership . . . or even if I will have free time to lift.

Anyway, I thought I would check to see if anyone had ideas for ways to keep from losing too much muscle mass during that month if I cannot gain access to a gym. obviosuly I can do things like push-ups, lunges etc. Just looking for some input on ways to get maximal benefit with minimal time.

Thanks in advance
    FREE: 2 week Bally Total Fitness Guest Pass:
    https://west.ballyfitness.com/join/i...free_guestpass

$19: 1 month Bally's membership
    https://west.ballyfitness.com/join/30_Trial/

(I can vouch for the guest pass... legit and totally hassle free. Just walk in like you own the place, and tell them up front why you are there so they don't waste your time trying to sell anything).

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g

(I can vouch for the guest pass... legit and totally hassle free. Just walk in like you own the place, and tell them up front why you are there so they don't waste your time trying to sell anything).
      nice! thanks for the heads up
      Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

Comment

Good if you like bally's. I'd look into some BW isometrics too if possible.

My .02

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
        Purple Wraath
        Green Magnitude
        Orange Triad
        White Flood
        Blue Up
        100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
        US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
          Good if you like bally's. I'd look into some BW isometrics too if possible.

My .02

I've never been to Bally's . . . but something is better than nothing. BW isometrics are indeed another possibility. Thanks for the input

Comment

If you had some Jump Stretch bands you could do a lot of work in your room. But a free membership is always good too!

Comment

What time is it ?

We need some updates up in this [Paris Hilton] !!!

Comment

What time is it ?

We need some updates up in this [Paris Hilton] !!!
                LOL well I leave for my away rotation this weekend. I need to find out if I they will let me have access to their school gym or not before I setup alternatives. I figured it would be poor form to be asking about that ahead of time . . . I don't want them thinking I care more about lifitng than my rotation with them (although I won't deny that )

Comment

what med school you going too?

Comment

If only Bally's were around my college

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
                      LOL well I leave for my away rotation this weekend. I need to find out if I they will let me have access to their school gym or not before I setup alternatives. I figured it would be poor form to be asking about that ahead of time . . . I don't want them thinking I care more about lifitng than my rotation with them (although I won't deny that )

You da man !!

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                        what med school you going too?
                        my away rotation will be at the University of Cincinatti College of Medicine . . . they have a large neurosurgery residency program so I figured I would check it out

Comment

Sounds fun! hah maybe catch a bungals game while there?! heh

I'm hoping to get lined up with my friends girlfriends uncle that is a neuro surgeon/psychologist/something. I'm @ Temple U in Philly now - he works somewhere in south jersey - and he has a connection with the NY Giants (I believe - or jets) where he is the guy that checks players for head injuries/concussions etc before allowing them to re-enter games..

he offered my buddies girlfriend a chance to help him out one game, she declined having other plans, than found out she would of made 2 grand for that game.

so uh, i was like yea give him my name ! haha I'm not big into neurology, but I slightly understand it from my undergrad psych program, and if the chance arises with this guy I will def. love to learn it more!

I'm thinking maybe next summer start working my internship with him, and keep it alive going into the fall during nfl season - would be sweeeet

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                            Sounds fun! hah maybe catch a bungals game while there?! heh

I'm hoping to get lined up with my friends girlfriends uncle that is a neuro surgeon/psychologist/something. I'm @ Temple U in Philly now - he works somewhere in south jersey - and he has a connection with the NY Giants (I believe - or jets) where he is the guy that checks players for head injuries/concussions etc before allowing them to re-enter games..

he offered my buddies girlfriend a chance to help him out one game, she declined having other plans, than found out she would of made 2 grand for that game.

so uh, i was like yea give him my name ! haha I'm not big into neurology, but I slightly understand it from my undergrad psych program, and if the chance arises with this guy I will def. love to learn it more!

I'm thinking maybe next summer start working my internship with him, and keep it alive going into the fall during nfl season - would be sweeeet
                            I wish I had time to catch a Bengal's game but they're keeping me pretty busy these days . . . which is good.
                            ha ha sounds like a nice opportunity for you, good luck with that

Comment

For what it's worth I have been primarily going with ddawg's suggestion and picked up some bands. I have been spending 80-90 hours at the hospital per week and in my "free time" I have been having to research and write a presentation to give at their grand rounds at the end of the month. I found a gold's gym nearby and I have been there a few times . . . I have been making it to the gym 2 times per week while in cincinnati, not ideal but add that to the band work and I have been able to maintain my lifts. One unforseen consequence is that I have lost about 5 pounds being at the hospital so much (about half the time I miss lunch b/c I am in the operating room) and relying on meals that I can cook in a microwave and my protein shakes. Half way through it and things are going pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                              X