abdominal training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abdominal training

how many days should i work my abs? I like to do abdominal exercises after my weight training on M,W,F. I do: ab ball crunches(4-5 sets of 20), oblique side bends with a 10lb weight(4sets,15reps), standing obliques twists with a 10lb weight(4sets,15reps), and lying bend knree raises(4 sets of 15, Hanging leg lifts 3 sets of 15.
    Any feedback or tips would be appreciated. Can i just do these exercises once a week or is it necessary to do them multiple days?

It all depends on who you ask, there are so many theories on Ab training. I personally treat them as any other muscle and give 72 hours between training.

Comment

Originally posted by bosas4604
      how many days should i work my abs? I like to do abdominal exercises after my weight training on M,W,F. I do: ab ball crunches(4-5 sets of 20), oblique side bends with a 10lb weight(4sets,15reps), standing obliques twists with a 10lb weight(4sets,15reps), and lying bend knree raises(4 sets of 15, Hanging leg lifts 3 sets of 15.
      Any feedback or tips would be appreciated. Can i just do these exercises once a week or is it necessary to do them multiple days?
      2-3 a week shouldn't be a problem, depending on what your complete workout protocol looks like... are you training abs / core for athletic performance or for appearance ?
      Last edited by pu12en12g; 07-22-2007, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
        2-3 a week shouldn't be a problem, depending on what your complete workout protocol looks like... are you training abs / core for athletic performance or for appearance ?
        Basically for appearance, I know body fat is the main reason, i'm probably around 12% or lower, what is you ab workout routine?

Comment

Onething people forget is that if you contract your abs when doing exercises they get worked pretty good. I do abs specific 2x a week and core 2-3x a week.

Bodyfat will not come off from ab work, other factors lead to that. But if you have a strong core it helps everythign else such as a healthy back, walk, stronger lifts, and they say even helps with digestion.

And another side note, if you have a healthy strong back and core this will also aid in other health benefits as well.
          Last edited by ddawg91; 07-27-2007, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Right now I've been doing more power oriented ab work, usually consisting of about 3-6 sets of 10 with medicine balls, elastic bands, and that wonderful decline bench thingy. I try to do a little every day, even if it's only 1 or 2 sets (great way to squeeze out that last bit of energy). I've found that not only have I gotten a ton more core strength, but the definition in my abs is coming along more than it ever did doing 300+ crunches. Still, I'm coming to realize definition in the lower abs will only come through diet.

Point: I'm loving low volume high intensity core work.
            Wrist wraps fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by matt24002
              Right now I've been doing more power oriented ab work, usually consisting of about 3-6 sets of 10 with medicine balls, elastic bands, and that wonderful decline bench thingy. I try to do a little every day, even if it's only 1 or 2 sets (great way to squeeze out that last bit of energy). I've found that not only have I gotten a ton more core strength, but the definition in my abs is coming along more than it ever did doing 300+ crunches. Still, I'm coming to realize definition in the lower abs will only come through diet.

Point: I'm loving low volume high intensity core work.

Remember though to balance your back with your stomach as well. If one is stronger than the other, then you could encounter minor problems/alterations in your body. Things like pain where there wasn't any before, or a certain position may become difficult. Also, make sire the obliques are worked too. No sense in just abs and having weak sides. Like was said, especially in males, the ab fat will be one of the last areas to leave and ab work alone has little to nothing to do concerning that. Cardio/diet will give you the look you strive for with the 6-8 pack. Keep up the work though!

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
              Purple Wraath
              Green Magnitude
              Orange Triad
              White Flood
              Blue Up
              100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
              US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Working...