Chest Routines for mass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chest Routines for mass

What are some great routines for chest mass? And leave some room for a lil bit of tricep-work after the chest!

Thanks!

my push routine: push ups on rubber ball for warm up, flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, seated machine fly, tricep pulldowns with rope and pull to the outsides at end of the rep, and skullcrushers or seated tricep extensions in that order. you can't really do much else for your chest orther than benches and flys...

Comment

Stick with the basic compound lifts. I like to alternate starting between incline and flat bench. Use rep ranges from 6-10 pref. 8-10. Use strict form and lift the weight properly. Throw in some flyes for definition and be done with it. I like 10-14 sets total depending on how many times you work each body part a week.
      Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

Originally posted by externational
        you can't really do much else for your chest other than benches and flys...
        Theres more than you'd think...Upper/Lower/Mid chest targeting Cable flies, and different techniques such as Drops sets.

Drop sets seemed to help me make progress for a while, but they dont seem to be doing much for me anymore.

my routine is usually:
        Incline
        Flat
        DB Flat
        Various Cable flies
        Incline Drop set

We dont have a decline bench, decline beching is one of my favorite exercised too

I think I'm gonna start focusing more on Flat instead of Incline. It's hard to do though. It's like the douche bags at my gym strategically placed each flat bench directly under one of the huge ceiling lights, and I get a super migraine from staring straight up at it while I'm flat benching
        Most of my Flat is DB, so I can drag a lil bench over in a dark corner.

Comment

DB Incline bench
          DB Incline Flye

@ various angles

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
            my routine is usually:
            Incline
            Flat
            DB Flat
            Various Cable flies
            Incline Drop set
            All on the same day ?

If so, I would increase intensity and volume and limit that to like 2 (maybe 3).

Also what's your current split ?

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
              All on the same day ?

If so, I would increase intensity and volume and limit that to like 2 (maybe 3).

Also what's your current split ?
              Yeah all the same day, along with some Tricep pushdown dropsets at the end.

Split:
              -Chest/tri
              -Cardio
              -Back/bi
              -Cardio
              -Delt/trap
              -Legs
              -repeat

Sometimes I'll throw in an extra light cardio day after legs if my shoulders are still too sore for a chest workout.

I've been doing that split for a long time, I've been considering this split:
              -Chest/tri/delt
              -Cardio
              -Back/bi/trap
              -Cardio
              -Legs

Let me know what you think. And Thanks for helping me out for like the 15453678265th time PT!

Comment

Yeah all the same day, along with some Tricep pushdown dropsets at the end.

Split:
                -Chest/tri
                -Cardio
                -Back/bi
                -Cardio
                -Delt/trap
                -Legs
                -repeat

Sometimes I'll throw in an extra light cardio day after legs if my shoulders are still too sore for a chest workout.

I've been doing that split for a long time, I've been considering this split:
                -Chest/tri/delt
                -Cardio
                -Back/bi/trap
                -Cardio
                -Legs

Let me know what you think. And Thanks for helping me out for like the 15453678265th time PT!
                DDAWG will probably chime in, but specifically and ONLY because you don't sound satisfied with your chest progress, I would try less per bodypart and *possibly* more often... not for strength necessarily but for size.... stimulate and grow (annihilate and plateau).

In my opinion your chest should be stimulated more than enough after something like:

1) Flyes
                2) Incline (DB / BB)
                3) One more from above

then, next chest day switch it up (either the order, or the actual lifts).

Comment

DB Incline bench
                  DB Incline Flye

@ various angles
                  Totally agree. I like 5 x 10 of each exercise. Keep the weight heavy enough to complete 10 reps with good form and work each body part 2 x a week.
                  Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

DDAWG will probably chime in, but specifically and ONLY because you don't sound satisfied with your chest progress, I would try less per bodypart and *possibly* more often... not for strength necessarily but for size.... stimulate and grow (annihilate and plateau).

In my opinion your chest should be stimulated more than enough after something like:

1) Flyes
                    2) Incline (DB / BB)
                    3) One more from above

then, next chest day switch it up (either the order, or the actual lifts).

More often? So would that second split I said I was considering be a good choice?

Comment

More often? So would that second split I said I was considering be a good choice?
                      Can't guarantee a noticable difference between those two, but here is a favorite of mine (notice the ACTUAL OFF DAY = strong hint oh and I HATE off days):

Upper Heavy + Cardio
                      Lower Moderate
                      OFF
                      Upper Moderate + Cardio
                      Lower Heavy
                      OFF (or arms + cardio... whatever)
                      OFF

Comment

How open is you shedule? Are you limited to how many days you can lift or only certain days?

PT's split is really good but like he said sometimes less is more (a concept many do not understand). If youare going to a upper lower split then you only do 2-3 max exercises and just a few sets each otherwise time becomes a factor as does overtraining.

Now for chest exercises here are my core lifts:
                        Flat
                        Incline
                        Decline (often ignored)
                        weighted dips
                        Flyes

If going to an upper lower split I would do this for chest:

Upper Heavy:
                        Flat (4 sets of 6)
                        Incline (4 sets of 6)

Upper Volume:
                        Decline (2-3 sets of 8-10)
                        Flyes (2-3 sets of 8-10)

Upper Heavy:
                        Incline (4 sets of 6)
                        Decline (4 sets of 6)

Upper Volume:
                        Flat (2-3 sets of 8-10)
                        Flyes (2-3 sets of 8-10)

Upper Heavy:
                        Decline (4 sets of 6)
                        Flat (4 sets of 6)

Upper Volume:
                        Incline (2-3 sets of 8-10)
                        Flyes (2-3 sets of 8-10)

Upper Heavy:
                        Flat (4 sets of 6)
                        Incline (4 sets of 6)

Upper Volume:
                        Weighted Dips (2-3 sets of 8-10)
                        Flyes (2-3 sets of 8-10)

The key is to always keep the chest in a state of shock so swappign out exercises is very key. So one week do DBs then next do BBs, then switch the core lifts between the heavy and light day. I always keep flyes on ligth/volume day as they are not a power exercise and if you go heavy you will end up with injuries. Also switch up the angles in which you do your flyes.

You can also do a 5 day split like this:

Day1 Chest
                        Day2 Back
                        Day3 Legs
                        Day4 Shoulders
                        Day5 Arms

If you do this you can do 3-4 exercises for each part.

Comment

I do a ridiculously high volume for chest (and everything else). My chest workout is usually:

Incline DB - 6 sets x8 reps
                          Incline Press Machine - 5x8
                          Flat DB - 6x8
                          Flat Press Machine - 5x8
                          Hammer-Grip DB Incline Press 3x8
                          Fly Machine 5x8
                          Cable Cross-overs 3x8

As with everything, I pyramid up from set to set, usually by increments of 5 lbs. on DBs and 10lbs. on machines. My goal is to achieve a high volume while barely getting 6-8 reps on my last set. I prefer dumbells and machines because I've met 6 people in the last year who tore rotator cuffs on the BB benches. In 6 months I've gone from maxing at 55 Flat DB to 110 DBs 8x. Still, when I look at forums, especially this one, I get the idea that everyone would think I'm overtraining. I'm only 21 and pretty disciplined with my supps, and I think that's the only thing that lets me fully recover between workouts. If every day I feel stronger than the previous one, can I still be overtraining?

P.S. I'm addicted to the gym, and feel like a failure if I spend less than 1.5-2 hours there, which makes the idea of only doing 12 sets total really painful.
                          Wrist wraps fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by matt24002
                            I do a ridiculously high volume for chest (and everything else). My chest workout is usually:

Incline DB - 6 sets x8 reps
                            Incline Press Machine - 5x8
                            Flat DB - 6x8
                            Flat Press Machine - 5x8
                            Hammer-Grip DB Incline Press 3x8
                            Fly Machine 5x8
                            Cable Cross-overs 3x8

As with everything, I pyramid up from set to set, usually by increments of 5 lbs. on DBs and 10lbs. on machines. My goal is to achieve a high volume while barely getting 6-8 reps on my last set. I prefer dumbells and machines because I've met 6 people in the last year who tore rotator cuffs on the BB benches. In 6 months I've gone from maxing at 55 Flat DB to 110 DBs 8x. Still, when I look at forums, especially this one, I get the idea that everyone would think I'm overtraining. I'm only 21 and pretty disciplined with my supps, and I think that's the only thing that lets me fully recover between workouts. If every day I feel stronger than the previous one, can I still be overtraining?

P.S. I'm addicted to the gym, and feel like a failure if I spend less than 1.5-2 hours there, which makes the idea of only doing 12 sets total really painful.
                            I thought I did too much on my chest day, but I think you might have me beat. And I understand the addiction, I try to limit myself to 1 hour, I'm always warning myself not to overtrain, its hard.

Comment

I thought I did too much on my chest day, but I think you might have me beat. And I understand the addiction, I try to limit myself to 1 hour, I'm always warning myself not to overtrain, its hard.
                              No kidding. I clocked in my shoulder workout last friday: 1 hour 45 minutes, 48 sets. And that was with a partner (my Dad, he's 52 and I do same routine as him) each alternating sets after the other (so pretty fast pace).
                              Wrist wraps fix everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X