Training twice a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training twice a day?

So I got about 2 weeks till I start my new job, and till my classes start. I was thinkin' about taking advantage of all my free time these next two weeks and train twice a day. What's the best way to do this split? Are these splits usually very effective? Or is this a stupid idea?

I was thinking...

Day 1:
    Morning - Legs
    Afternoon - Chest/Tri

Day 2: Cardio

Day 3:
    Morning - Back/Bi
    Afternoon - Shoulders/Traps

Day 4: Cardio

I think it is a fine idea, many have had great results with it. As for the split, do what works best. I have always thought splitting it up like what you have is great, especially if you cna get a nap inbetween each and some good meals.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
      I think it is a fine idea, many have had great results with it. As for the split, do what works best. I have always thought splitting it up like what you have is great, especially if you cna get a nap inbetween each and some good meals.
      Thanks for the advice! Always appreciated.

Comment

Any time! That is what we are here for!

Comment

Christian Thibaudeau had some twice a day training guidlines......
          This was when training the same bodypart in both workouts:

If you respect the following guidelines you should benefit greatly from twice-a-day
          sessions, if you do not respect them, well, train at your own peril! :
          1. Train for no more than 30-40 minutes in the first session and no more than 20-30
          minutes in the second.
          2. Train the same muscle in both daily sessions.
          3. Include more functional-oriented training in the first session of the day. This means
          heavier weights, more acceleration or more complex exercises.
          4. Include more structural-oriented training in the second session of the day. This means
          more volume, less weight and a slower tempo.
          5. Use a good post-workout drink after every session. The best product available is Surge
          for this purpose.
          6. Train each muscle only once a week. You can pair muscles groups and train 4 days per
          week or only work one muscle per day and train 6 days per week.
          kane@controlledlabs.com
          Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
          Looks for the ads, coming soon!
          www.controlledlabs.com
          www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolf
            Christian Thibaudeau had some twice a day training guidlines......
            This was when training the same bodypart in both workouts:

If you respect the following guidelines you should benefit greatly from twice-a-day
            sessions, if you do not respect them, well, train at your own peril! :
            1. Train for no more than 30-40 minutes in the first session and no more than 20-30
            minutes in the second.
            2. Train the same muscle in both daily sessions.
            3. Include more functional-oriented training in the first session of the day. This means
            heavier weights, more acceleration or more complex exercises.
            4. Include more structural-oriented training in the second session of the day. This means
            more volume, less weight and a slower tempo.
            5. Use a good post-workout drink after every session. The best product available is Surge
            for this purpose.
            6. Train each muscle only once a week. You can pair muscles groups and train 4 days per
            week or only work one muscle per day and train 6 days per week.
            ...The same body part twice a day?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
              ...The same body part twice a day?
              Yep. I ususally do train twice a day quite often and either do that (same body(part twice) or do olympic type and heavier low rep lifts during the AM and then a bodybuilding type bodypart routine at night. I've also tried a similar split like you posted. The thing to keep in mind IMO is to not simply double your volume but rather have the mindset of you're simply splitting your workout, if that makes sense.
              kane@controlledlabs.com
              www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

Yep. I ususally do train twice a day quite often and either do that (same body(part twice) or do olympic type and heavier low rep lifts during the AM and then a bodybuilding type bodypart routine at night. I've also tried a similar split like you posted. The thing to keep in mind IMO is to not simply double your volume but rather have the mindset of you're simply splitting your workout, if that makes sense.
                i've done this before too.... listen to Kane. follow his and christian's advice and you'll see great results. if you train twice a day and your nutrition is spot-on, you can get away with slightly increasing volume, but definitely do not DOUBLE it.

here's an example routine:

Monday - Legs
                A.M.:
                Front Squats 4x6-10
                Leg Extensions 4x10
                Leg Press 3x12

PM:
                RDL 4x8
                Leg Curls 4x10

Tuesday – Chest/abs
                A.M.:
                DB flat bench 1x10 1x8 1x8 1x6
                DB Decline 3x8
                Pec Deck 3x10
                V-Ups 3x25

P.M.:
                DB incline 1x10 1x8 1x8 1x6
                Dips 2x10
                Crunches on ball 200

Wednesday - OFF

Thursday - back/calves
                A.M.:
                DL 1x10 1x8 1x6 2x4 or Assisted Pull Ups 4x6-8
                T-bar or Bent Over Row 4x8
                Low Cable Rows 3x6-10

P.M.:
                Wide Grip Pulldowns 3x8
                Close Grip Pulldowns 2x10
                calf raises (toes out) 3x15
                calf raises (neutral) 3x15

Friday - shoulders/traps & arms
                A.M.:
                Military press, push press, or shoulder press 1x8 1x8 1x6 1x6
                Lateral Raise 3x10
                Face pulls 4x8
                Power Shrugs 4x8

P.M.:
                Chin ups 4x8
                V-Bar Pushdowns 4x8
                straight bar curl 4x10
                Reverse BB Pushdown 3x10

Comment

The thing to keep in mind IMO is to not simply double your volume but rather have the mindset of you're simply splitting your workout, if that makes sense.
                  This is the key in which I did not add in. Many when they go to 2x a day or 2 parts in a workout, they try to hit everything like they were working out one part a day. This will only lead to disaster. More is not always better and sometimes less is more.

Either split is great, especially since you have the opportunity to do it. I trained 2-3 parts a day in the same workout (since I could not split up the day) and had great success and plan on going back to that in the near future.

Keep up posted on your progress.

Comment

Do you guys beleive that when more weight is moved, more rest is required? Or does the body adapt?

It makes alot of sense to say someone who deadlifts 500lbs needs more recovery time than someone who deadlifts only 200lbs...but the person who does the 500lbs has probably trained alot longer ... does the CNS adapt? or are the "HIT Jedi" on the right path?

Comment

do olympic type and heavier low rep lifts during the AM and then a bodybuilding type bodypart routine at night..
                      I want to try it this way !

Comment

I, personally am a fan of doing cardio in the AM's before breakfast, and then my workout during the afternoons, 6 days a week. I like kicking the crap out of myself

Which brings me to this thread. Two workout routines in a day... how would you take your supplements with that?
                        Failure is only a word. I don't plan on giving it meaning

Comment

Originally posted by malky
                          I, personally am a fan of doing cardio in the AM's before breakfast, and then my workout during the afternoons, 6 days a week. I like kicking the crap out of myself

Which brings me to this thread. Two workout routines in a day... how would you take your supplements with that?
                          Half / half ... or double the dose if you feel adventurous!

Comment

Originally posted by malky

I would lean towards double the post workout shake/ meal whatever. One of the advantages of splitting the workout, aside from being fresher in each half,
                            is the favourable absorbtion of nutrients. If you believe that workouts do put your body in such a state.
                            kane@controlledlabs.com
                            www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

I would lean towards double the post workout shake/ meal whatever. One of the advantages of splitting the workout, aside from being fresher in each half,
                              is the favourable absorbtion of nutrients. If you believe that workouts do put your body in such a state.
                              I do. My opinion here is to try taking the average 3/1 split and split it again

IE: avg 3/1 for me =

Day1: chest/back
                              Day2: legs/shoulders
                              Day3: arms/calves/abs

So, maybe go chest/am back/pm day 1, legs/am, shoulders/pm day 2, etc.

Personally, high volume works great for me, I never use less than 20 sets for chest/back/legs and grow like a weed this way, others that do so, overtrain and suffer... something to consider before taking my advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X