Good Post workout meals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Post workout meals?

I usually scarf down a whole carton of Better n' Eggs (which the box sais is equal to 8 eggs?) and a banana, and maybe some Chicken Breast.

I was told to eat some White Rice or White bread with it for an "Insulin Spike", Is this true? I was also told to drink grape juice or some shit?

Feel free to mention any great (and relatively easy-to-make) Post Workout Meals that you may enjoy!

(I'm cutting by the way)

Thanks!

High glycemic foods (white bread/sugary juices/etc) will produce an insulin spike. That can be good AFTER working out as it helps force more proteins and glycogen back into the muscles for repairs. That's probably the only real time you'd want that spike as it won't really lead to retaining fat as bad.
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
    Purple Wraath
    Green Magnitude
    Orange Triad
    White Flood
    Blue Up
    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Screw that noise Dext, Malto, or WMS with WPI or WPH for PWO followed by Oats or somekinda Grain or Sweet Potato.
      "Stimulate, don't Annihilate." - Lee Haney

Comment

Originally posted by retro_roots
        Screw that noise Dext, Malto, or WMS with WPI or WPH for PWO followed by Oats or somekinda Grain or Sweet Potato.
        I've heard you need dextrose after a workout, but I dont know wtf Dextrose is!
        Malto?
        WMS?
        WPI?
        WPH?

Comment

Dextrose = Corn Sugar
          Maltodextrin = a Modified Corn Starch
          WMS= Waxy MAize Starch
          WPH= Hydrolyzed Whey Protein
          WPI = Whey Protein Isolate

see http://www.trueprotein.com/product_listings.aspx?cid=23

And please change your Avatar if you want anymore help from me

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
            I usually scarf down a whole carton of Better n' Eggs (which the box sais is equal to 8 eggs?) and a banana, and maybe some Chicken Breast.

I was told to eat some White Rice or White bread with it for an "Insulin Spike", Is this true? I was also told to drink grape juice or some shit?

Feel free to mention any great (and relatively easy-to-make) Post Workout Meals that you may enjoy!

(I'm cutting by the way)

Thanks!

definately way too much FAT in that meal, after a workout you need a faster digesting protein than eggs. fats delay gastric emptying which in summary isnt is as IDEAL as a carb and protein.

there are conflicting theories as to the "BEST" post workout shake/meal/whatever, some people like a simple carb with whey protein immediately after a workout, some people prefer a complex carb like oats with whey protein, followed by a meal 45mins - 1 hr later (chicken, veggies, etc)

regardless of your point of view, a fast digesting protein is more ideal (IE protein shake) like whey isolate.

personally, i adopted the "cut diet"s way of dealing with post workout nutrition. i supplement with EAA/BCAA's during a workout, and immediately have a whey isolate shake post workout, followed by a meal 1 hr later(usually chicken, veggies, and a healthy fat)

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
              definately way too much FAT in that meal, after a workout you need a faster digesting protein than eggs. fats delay gastric emptying which in summary isnt is as IDEAL as a carb and protein.

there are conflicting theories as to the "BEST" post workout shake/meal/whatever, some people like a simple carb with whey protein immediately after a workout, some people prefer a complex carb like oats with whey protein, followed by a meal 45mins - 1 hr later (chicken, veggies, etc)

regardless of your point of view, a fast digesting protein is more ideal (IE protein shake) like whey isolate.

personally, i adopted the "cut diet"s way of dealing with post workout nutrition. i supplement with EAA/BCAA's during a workout, and immediately have a whey isolate shake post workout, followed by a meal 1 hr later(usually chicken, veggies, and a healthy fat)
              There's really too much fat? Better n' Eggs is pretty much just Egg whites.

Would muscle milk be a good post workout shake? or does it digest too slowly?

Comment

Dextrose = Corn Sugar
                Maltodextrin = a Modified Corn Starch
                WMS= Waxy MAize Starch
                WPH= Hydrolyzed Whey Protein
                WPI = Whey Protein Isolate

see http://www.trueprotein.com/product_listings.aspx?cid=23

And please change your Avatar if you want anymore help from me
                I thought my avvy was cool

Comment

There's really too much fat? Better n' Eggs is pretty much just Egg whites.

Would muscle milk be a good post workout shake? or does it digest too slowly?

my fault for not knowning what better n eggs are. regardless, IN MY OPINION, there are better alternatives. what influenced you to come up with that meal?

muscle milk is a good post workout shake depending on who you ask. some say theres too much fat, other will say its fine, others will say the main protein in it is micellar casein, which is intended to be a slower digesting protein (better for night time protein) mixed with a fat

the best advice is research it on your own, because people come up with their own theories. once again personally, MM is great, but its not what i would ideally recommend. i believe all you need is whey protein isolate, and for endurance/sport athletes whey protein and carbs. but thats just me

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
                    what influenced you to come up with that meal?
                    Eggs and chicken because they have alot of protein, and a banana because Fruits are good for you after a workout??

My nutrition knowledge is very poor (I'm sure nobody noticed...) Any advice is greatly appreciated.
                    Last edited by adrian andras; 04-21-2007, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I thought my avvy was cool
                      Looked cool but was a Satanic Symbol

Comment

Eggs and chicken because they have alot of protein, and a banana because Fruits are good for you after a workout??

My nutrition knowledge is very poor (I'm sure nobody noticed...) Any advice is greatly appreciated.
                        Faster protein would be a lot better choice, infac the faster the better and no need for liver glycogen replenishment PWO (which is what fructose does mainly). Honestly, not much beats a good WPI+Dext/Malto pricewise or otherwise.

Comment

Honestly, not much beats a good WPI+Dext/Malto pricewise or otherwise.
                          Where would I get WPI, Dext/malto???

Comment

www.trueprotein.com

www.nutraplanet.com

Best on the Net

Comment

Faster protein would be a lot better choice, infac the faster the better and no need for liver glycogen replenishment PWO (which is what fructose does mainly). Honestly, not much beats a good WPI+Dext/Malto pricewise or otherwise.

correct, however pricewise, depending on your stance on carbs postworkout - just WPI post workout is ESSENTIAL. i firmly believe that body building doesnt depelete muscles of enough glycogen to warrant post workout carbs UNLESS you are an athlete.

with that said i have had much success doing both, although i tend to bloat and gain a little more fat with carbs PW (but we are talking nickels and dimes here)

Comment

Working...
                              X