Clear All

• Back Workout

My back workouts looks like:

Deads
    BB Rows
    Chins
    DB rows
    Hypers

3-4 sets each with 6-12 reps (except chins, so below)

This is kind of a new routine I've adopted, I've just recently started doing BB rows a few weeks ago, and it kills my back. After I do my rows I can only do like 2 chins(tops) per set, and my DB rows go way down as well(weight wise). Should I move the BB rows towards the end of my routine so I can put more into my other excercises? Or should I keep the BB rows where their at and keep hittin' them hard?

Any other suggestions for my routine are welcomed.

Thanks!

ps, off I'm sorry I been posting so many newby question in here, but i need the help, and I really appresciate everyone who's helped me out.

I'd either drop the BB or DB rows. Not much sense in hitting both IMO. The DB rows I would think are more beneficial since each arm must lift independant of the other unlike BB where the stonger can pull for the weaker. I'd drop the BB and maximize the other exercises since you're hitting so much of the back. My .02.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
    Purple Wraath
    Green Magnitude
    Orange Triad
    White Flood
    Blue Up
    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
      I'd either drop the BB or DB rows. Not much sense in hitting both IMO. The DB rows I would think are more beneficial since each arm must lift independant of the other unlike BB where the stonger can pull for the weaker. I'd drop the BB and maximize the other exercises since you're hitting so much of the back. My .02.

BB and DB rows actually feel very different to me. The BB hit on the sides a little more and the DB hits in the middle more.

Comment

Row to grow!

Looks good, bb and db rows hit the back different and are very beneficial. I would vary the type of bb rows. Rotate deads with power cleans.

Comment

I usually switch it after 4 weeks, but DB row is a must for me, cause i want to balance both sides, u always feel it when u just started, but as u go for a few more weeks, ur body will get used to it, so for me it's time to switch again, but i never left out Chin up n DB row i will do the DB row at last just to kill the muscle off everytime..

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
            Row to grow!

Looks good, bb and db rows hit the back different and are very beneficial. I would vary the type of bb rows. Rotate deads with power cleans.
            Absolotely keep it like it is. I do at least 2 rowing exercises per back workout. Sometimes even 3 with only 1 or 2 pull down exercises. Do you do any low cable pulls? You can vary your grips on the rowing exercises to hit the back at different angles. The good thing about hitting back is you can attack it from more angles than any other body part.
            Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

^^X2 I also like to vary the grip of my bb rows sometimes use a pretty close grip and somtimes a really wide.
              Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

A medium wide grip for bb rows lets you hit the middle back and outside parts evenly. A narrow grip tends to emphasize the outside more cuase you can't move your elbows back as much. I would not drop bb rows because that defeats the purpose of training heavy. If your getting sore from your bb rows your reaching your muscles and that lets means they have to grow to accomodate the heavy work. Maybe just try to lower your total volume if you want to keep all those exercises.
                Last edited by Starless_Eyes; 06-08-2008, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Strong bump.

Comment

your workout should begin with compound movements -- squat, bench, deads, rows, etc -- and end with isolation/specific movements -- upright row, db curls, leg extension, chins, etc.

You want to be at your strongest for the exercises working the most muscle groups, so you 1 get the most muscle fiber recruitment of each targeted area and therefore get the best strength for your major lifts... also, if you work smaller group areas, and fatique them prior to the major movements, the fatigue may cause a breakdown in form which is more likely to result in injury on a compound movement than an isolated one.

therefore, you should start with deads and rows.

Personally, I only do one row/deadlift a week. I vary it each week. I love lawnmoawers, but I do bent overs (bar or DB), T bars are decent, and I really got into motorcycle rows (see t-nation article on them) though I dont have proper machinery for the summer =x

same with deads, I woul vary them up each week. obviously #1 is the normal deadlift, but straight legs are great..and you can use bars/DBs, can stagger your feet some for more hip recruitment, and I really love DB suitcase deadlifts (hold 1 DB at a side, and do deads, than switch DB to other side -- crazy core recruitment!!)..

In my workouts, I dont give back its own day, I throw it in with shoulders. I gnerally do legs on tuesday, which involves a fair amount of back work (i do tons of squats), and than shoulders/back on wends. which hits it more... I feel that with alot of the upper back workouts, you blend in the shoulders/back so it only makes sense to me to combine them.

final thought -- make sure your form is stellar on rows. proper form (incl. Range Of Motion) is much more important than weight lifted (in every exercise)...
                    Last edited by jiritt0; 06-08-2008, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X