Triathlete in Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triathlete in Training

Due to popular demand I have decided to run my training log on this board and also try and help out where I can. So I guess I'm back! The prodigal stonecold hath returned. Without further ado, here is today's log:

So today is technically Valentine's Day, but the wife and I chose to celebrate it on Friday, that way she can feel better and enjoy the day.

So today was my LAST swim class with Kathy, talk about bittersweet. I felt like a fish in the water today, despite being sore as hell from Monday, but I was also a bit sad knowing that I will no longer have her there to correct my form/etc.

We did the following:

300 warmup, focusing on smooth turnarounds (6 laps)
    50x2 catchup drills, focusing on long strokes (2 laps)
    50x2 fingertip drills, focusing on very high elbows out of water (2 laps)
    50x2 6 kick rolls, focusing on head posture (2 laps)
    50x8 kick drills w/ board (8 laps)
    100x2 relaxed swim (4 laps)

Total laps: 24 laps
    It was a shorter distance today, but I felt like my form was spot on. Kathy's only advice for me for this weekend was merely to have fun, she said my stroke looked nice and long, my kick was strong and steady, and my breathing was 'pristine'.

After the swim I decided to do a 3 mile bike ride just to test my time out. If you don't remember the fastest time in last year's tri for the bike was 7 minutes and 20 seconds, and the year before it was in the 8 minute range. However, today my bike made me feel like a GOD. I had Kim D. from the gym time me and hand me the water bottle when I needed it.. and my time was:

5 minutes 49 seconds

Yes, that is right, I shattered the previous records for the bike ride on the tri. That is really my biggest hope for making up time that I'll lose during swimming. Also, since we are doing the indoor tri in heats I'll get to rest from the time I finish to the time that the last person in my heat finishes. So I will have a chance to relax a few minutes before running.

Tomorrow I am going to do a very light swim and bike. I don't want to run again before the race for a very evil reason... a blister on my big toe! So I'm going to focus on getting a nice relaxing swim combined with a very laid back bike ride, and a LOT of stretching and sauna time.

I talked to my dad on the phone today and it nearly made me cry, I know that a lot of people are proud of me but to hear my dad say it breaks my heart in a good way. I was not a good kid, plain and simple. I did things to purposely hurt my parents for getting divoriced. I finally feel like I am making that up to them by being a good man.

I am thinking about doing my weigh-in tomorrow since I really don't want to step into the gym on Friday at all, and that is where I weigh-in. In reality, I don't expect to lose anything since I've been downing a LOT of calories in order to keep energy up.

I have also decided on my song list for the bike and run portions of the tri. That is the real beauty of my first mini-tri being an indoor one, I get to use my mp3 player, hehe.

Songlist:
    Bike Song 1 - Karate Kid Soundtrack - You're the best around
    Bike Song 2 - Eminem - Till I Collapse
    Run Song 1 - Mulan Soundtrack - I'll make a man out of you
    Run Song 2 - Hulk Hogan Theme Song - I'm a real american
    Run Song 3 - Rocky Sountrack - Gonna Fly Now (finish line song, woohoo!)

Anywho, I'm off for a while! Have a good one all.

Josh
    Back to the basics!

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
    Due to popular demand I have decided to run my training log on this board and also try and help out where I can. So I guess I'm back! The prodigal stonecold hath returned. Without further ado, here is today's log:

So today is technically Valentine's Day, but the wife and I chose to celebrate it on Friday, that way she can feel better and enjoy the day.

So today was my LAST swim class with Kathy, talk about bittersweet. I felt like a fish in the water today, despite being sore as hell from Monday, but I was also a bit sad knowing that I will no longer have her there to correct my form/etc.

We did the following:

300 warmup, focusing on smooth turnarounds (6 laps)
    50x2 catchup drills, focusing on long strokes (2 laps)
    50x2 fingertip drills, focusing on very high elbows out of water (2 laps)
    50x2 6 kick rolls, focusing on head posture (2 laps)
    50x8 kick drills w/ board (8 laps)
    100x2 relaxed swim (4 laps)

Total laps: 24 laps
    It was a shorter distance today, but I felt like my form was spot on. Kathy's only advice for me for this weekend was merely to have fun, she said my stroke looked nice and long, my kick was strong and steady, and my breathing was 'pristine'.

After the swim I decided to do a 3 mile bike ride just to test my time out. If you don't remember the fastest time in last year's tri for the bike was 7 minutes and 20 seconds, and the year before it was in the 8 minute range. However, today my bike made me feel like a GOD. I had Kim D. from the gym time me and hand me the water bottle when I needed it.. and my time was:

5 minutes 49 seconds

Yes, that is right, I shattered the previous records for the bike ride on the tri. That is really my biggest hope for making up time that I'll lose during swimming. Also, since we are doing the indoor tri in heats I'll get to rest from the time I finish to the time that the last person in my heat finishes. So I will have a chance to relax a few minutes before running.

Tomorrow I am going to do a very light swim and bike. I don't want to run again before the race for a very evil reason... a blister on my big toe! So I'm going to focus on getting a nice relaxing swim combined with a very laid back bike ride, and a LOT of stretching and sauna time.

I talked to my dad on the phone today and it nearly made me cry, I know that a lot of people are proud of me but to hear my dad say it breaks my heart in a good way. I was not a good kid, plain and simple. I did things to purposely hurt my parents for getting divoriced. I finally feel like I am making that up to them by being a good man.

I am thinking about doing my weigh-in tomorrow since I really don't want to step into the gym on Friday at all, and that is where I weigh-in. In reality, I don't expect to lose anything since I've been downing a LOT of calories in order to keep energy up.

I have also decided on my song list for the bike and run portions of the tri. That is the real beauty of my first mini-tri being an indoor one, I get to use my mp3 player, hehe.

Songlist:
    Bike Song 1 - Karate Kid Soundtrack - You're the best around
    Bike Song 2 - Eminem - Till I Collapse
    Run Song 1 - Mulan Soundtrack - I'll make a man out of you
    Run Song 2 - Hulk Hogan Theme Song - I'm a real american
    Run Song 3 - Rocky Sountrack - Gonna Fly Now (finish line song, woohoo!)

Anywho, I'm off for a while! Have a good one all.

Josh

lol, loving the playlist. Good luck man!

Last edited by Spartan; 02-14-2007, 09:09 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
    Purple Wraath
    Green Magnitude
    Orange Triad
    White Flood
    Blue Up
    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Looking good so far man, good luck this weekend and kisck some butay!

Comment

Working...
      X