Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UB/LB and cardio question

Hi people,

Monday i started with a new workout program, i decided it was time for a change from the usual one/two bodypart a day splits. After reading alot, i decided on a UB/LB split. The goal at this moment is : Lean mass gains.

Monday UB 1
    Tuesday LB 1
    Wednesday : Rest OR Abs + HIIT Cardio (sprints)
    Thurday : UB 2
    Friday : LB 2
    Saterday : Rest OR Abs + HIIT Cardio (sprints)
    Sunday : REST

I am gonna alternate every 2 workouts (UB/LB) with different rep ranges, 5x5, 3x15 and 4x10 For abs and calves I always do 15-20reps.

I have just one question:

Because i prefer not to do cardio after an UB or LB workout i have put optional cardio sessions on my rest days. Before i used to do SS (Steady State) cardio, low intensity. But i find it rather boring and i have read HIIT is alot more effective. Usualy i do some abs work on cardio days too, cos its my weak point

However my cardio days are the next day after my LB days, is that a problem?

What do u guys think?
    Last edited by DavyO; 02-14-2007, 05:46 AM.

nah... it's not a problem.. usually I do cardio everyday, pretty high intensity also.. Right now i'm alternating between stair steppers and the treadmill.. Sometimes i even throw boxing and rope-jumping in there.
    www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
      nah... it's not a problem.. usually I do cardio everyday, pretty high intensity also.. Right now i'm alternating between stair steppers and the treadmill.. Sometimes i even throw boxing and rope-jumping in there.
      Thanks bro

Today i've done 20 min of HIIT cardio on the threadmill, followed by 15min slow cardio on the crosstrainer. Rope jumping sounds good too, i am not very good at it though

I also took PW pre-during cardio for the first time Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by DavyO
        Thanks bro

Today i've done 20 min of HIIT cardio on the threadmill, followed by 15min slow cardio on the crosstrainer. Rope jumping sounds good too, i am not very good at it though

I also took PW pre-during cardio for the first time Good stuff!
        Trust me on one thing, jumping rope has a pretty quick learning curve. In about 4 weeks I went from barely nailing 30 skips per set to over 100 at about 3x the speed. Next week I'm going to start throwing in some double jumps and tricks, because I'm a big nerd like that.

Just make sure to stretch the calves like crazy after.

SCT
        Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
          Trust me on one thing, jumping rope has a pretty quick learning curve. In about 4 weeks I went from barely nailing 30 skips per set to over 100 at about 3x the speed. Next week I'm going to start throwing in some double jumps and tricks, because I'm a big nerd like that.

Just make sure to stretch the calves like crazy after.

SCT
          I haven't done it for ages and I would be damn suprized if i make it to 30 skips hehehe

But i've heard its quite an effective way of doing cardio isn't?

I now alternate between threadmill, crosstrainer and just running outside. So far IŽve only been experimenting with HIIT cardio on the threadmill, but soon IŽll try HIIT on the crosstraining and upright bike too.

Not really trying to lose alot of fat, just prevent getting to fat during my clean bulk and testing HIIT cardio before employing it during my cutting phase/contest prep.

One more question :

I used to do normal cardio on a empty stomach during my prev contest prep. Is it a good idea to do HIIT on an empty stomach?

Or is it better to split up cardio and do SS (steady state) cardio in the morning and HIIT after weight training or on separate days?

Comment

I used to do normal cardio on a empty stomach during my prev contest prep. Is it a good idea to do HIIT on an empty stomach?

Or is it better to split up cardio and do SS (steady state) cardio in the morning and HIIT after weight training or on separate days?
            I don't really prefer cardio on an empty stomach, but I would never do HIIT on an empty stomach, as I personally think that would be a quick way to start burning muscle.

I actually like HIIT either on seperate days or before (ie 8 hours seperated) from weights. Steady state cardio I throw in after weight training.

Hope that helps

SCT
            Back to the basics!

Comment

DavyO,

What you listed looks awesome for pure lean gains, but they may not be the fastest mind blowing gains so don't get discouraged. You may find that experimenting with carb timing will help big-time... at least that's what I've seen with various clients with similar protocol. Depending on genetics, you may be surprised how many calories you can consume and still put on lean mass so I would aim high.

Good luck !

Comment

I haven't done it for ages and I would be damn suprized if i make it to 30 skips hehehe

But i've heard its quite an effective way of doing cardio isn't?

I now alternate between threadmill, crosstrainer and just running outside. So far IŽve only been experimenting with HIIT cardio on the threadmill, but soon IŽll try HIIT on the crosstraining and upright bike too.

Not really trying to lose alot of fat, just prevent getting to fat during my clean bulk and testing HIIT cardio before employing it during my cutting phase/contest prep.

One more question :

SCT hit the nail on this about not doing HIIT on an empty stomach. I, myself, do cardio on an empty stomach (not REALLY empty with PW/GM and all my supps in there pre-workout) as I feel it better benefits me. With a clean bulk, and the cardio you do now, I'd serious doubt you adding much if any fat on in the process. Good luck with it though.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                Purple Wraath
                Green Magnitude
                Orange Triad
                White Flood
                Blue Up
                100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
                  I don't really prefer cardio on an empty stomach, but I would never do HIIT on an empty stomach, as I personally think that would be a quick way to start burning muscle.

I actually like HIIT either on seperate days or before (ie 8 hours seperated) from weights. Steady state cardio I throw in after weight training.

Hope that helps

SCT
                  So if needed (during contest prep/cutting phase) i could do HIIT in AM after a light meal, and eat my breakfast directly after cardio. And do weight training PM

Right now i am just doing HIIT cardio on separate days, 1 or 2 times a week depending on how i feel.

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                  DavyO,

What you listed looks awesome for pure lean gains, but they may not be the fastest mind blowing gains so don't get discouraged. You may find that experimenting with carb timing will help big-time... at least that's what I've seen with various clients with similar protocol. Depending on genetics, you may be surprised how many calories you can consume and still put on lean mass so I would aim high.

Good luck !
                  Thanks PU

I actualy prefer less gains, but more quality. I am somewhat prone to put on quite a bit of fat if i just bulk up like crazy... and ofcourse all the fat needs to go too. This time I`am aiming to stay relativly low in fat (8-10bf%) before i start my cutting phase .

What do u mean with carb timing?

Originally posted by Spartan
                  SCT hit the nail on this about not doing HIIT on an empty stomach. I, myself, do cardio on an empty stomach (not REALLY empty with PW/GM and all my supps in there pre-workout) as I feel it better benefits me. With a clean bulk, and the cardio you do now, I'd serious doubt you adding much if any fat on in the process. Good luck with it though.

Thanks Spartan

I used to do my cardio on an empty stomach during my contest prep last year, just low intensity cardio. One of the reasons i did this was because i didnt have time to do all the cardio after my workout in the evening. Pre and post cardio i always took 5grams of BCAA`s and 5 grams of L-Glutamine. Next time i would like to incorparate some HIIT cardio into it, so i actualy have to do less cardio I'll definatly stay away from HIIT cardio on an empty stomach

Now i just do cardio 1-2 times a week to prevent too much fat gain and i think its beneficial for my overal health
                  Last edited by DavyO; 02-15-2007, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X