Stonecoldtruth's New Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stonecoldtruth's New Adventure

Not entirely sure how many of my old friends are still around. I know I can count on PT and Ddawg still being here though. I've still been kicking ass and taking names in my training, but I decided that the bb sites were not really 'me' anymore. However, now in the midst of my training I find that I need advice. Here is my quandry:

I am signed up for 5 competitive events this year, all running or triathlon type events, and I'm unsure the best method for setting up my strength training plan. I swim 3 days per week, and bike on two of those days, and run two days per week. Because of this I'm not sure if your standard hit em heavy and go home squat routine would be efficient for legs? What about upper strength? I'm dead drained after a mile in the pool so I'm unsure of what type of upper body routine to run.

If anyone has any ideas please chime in.

Josh
    Back to the basics!

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
    Not entirely sure how many of my old friends are still around. I know I can count on PT and Ddawg still being here though. I've still been kicking ass and taking names in my training, but I decided that the bb sites were not really 'me' anymore. However, now in the midst of my training I find that I need advice. Here is my quandry:

I am signed up for 5 competitive events this year, all running or triathlon type events, and I'm unsure the best method for setting up my strength training plan. I swim 3 days per week, and bike on two of those days, and run two days per week. Because of this I'm not sure if your standard hit em heavy and go home squat routine would be efficient for legs? What about upper strength? I'm dead drained after a mile in the pool so I'm unsure of what type of upper body routine to run.

If anyone has any ideas please chime in.

Josh
    Great to hear that you're still at it man.. simply put, I probably wouldn't train for strength and a triathlon (conditioning) at the same time, especially when there's a upcoming deadline. I bet ddawg has some better advice though.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
      Great to hear that you're still at it man.. simply put, I probably wouldn't train for strength and a triathlon (conditioning) at the same time, especially when there's a upcoming deadline. I bet ddawg has some better advice though.

That is kind of what I had been thinking. I've been doing minor leg training AFTER my runs, but we are literally talking high reps/low weight on leg press/lying leg curls/leg extensions and a bunch of core work. My back/chest/triceps/shoulders are all dead after the swimming.

You had to know that I of all people would never give up or in. I made some backwards progress, but that is all over with as well.

Here are some current pics.
      Attached Files
      Back to the basics!

Comment

Well look who the cat dragged in! Good to see you atill kickin it.

you are correct about the hitting it heavy for enduance athletics. You need to focus more on high reps, low weight for training the slow twitch muscle fibers. I would lift no more then 2-3 times a week and focus on a total body workout. Here is a good simple routine that I think would fit perfect.

http://www.trinewbies.com/WeightTrai...ight_intro.asp

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
          Well look who the cat dragged in! Good to see you atill kickin it.

you are correct about the hitting it heavy for enduance athletics. You need to focus more on high reps, low weight for training the slow twitch muscle fibers. I would lift no more then 2-3 times a week and focus on a total body workout. Here is a good simple routine that I think would fit perfect.

http://www.trinewbies.com/WeightTrai...ight_intro.asp
          Awesome! I knew that I could count on you guys to come through! I'll keep you updated on my progress.

On my plate this year are:
          Mini-Indoor Triathlon
          Half-Marathon Race

Hope you guys are doing well,

SCT
          Back to the basics!

Comment

Holy Hell its SCT!

Hope all is well with you and your life.
            Lets see, what has changed around here...
            1) John Lee is still a diva, ya I said it.
            2) New CL products are coming out soon
            3) PT & DD are still brick houses
            4) I became addicted to LOST and nobody wants to talk about it with me

Check in more often!
            A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
              Awesome! I knew that I could count on you guys to come through! I'll keep you updated on my progress.

On my plate this year are:
              Mini-Indoor Triathlon
              Half-Marathon Race

Hope you guys are doing well,

SCT
              Cool, nice schedule! All is well here!

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
                Holy Hell its SCT!

Hope all is well with you and your life.
                Lets see, what has changed around here...
                1) John Lee is still a diva, ya I said it.
                2) New CL products are coming out soon
                3) PT & DD are still brick houses
                4) I became addicted to LOST and nobody wants to talk about it with me

Check in more often!
                1) John Lee will ALWAYS be a diva.
                2) I still need to try the Yellowness, hell I need some like now!
                3) DD is the OG brick shithouse.
                4) I would talk to you about Lost but since I only started watching in the middle I guess you could say I'm a little.. Lost.. hahaha get it?

Josh

p.s. I miss you guys, in a manly way!
                Back to the basics!

Comment

damn SCT, where the hell you been? you haven't even been on your messenger service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been looking to talk to you for months

pS: sethva = punk ass
                  www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                    damn SCT, where the hell you been? you haven't even been on your messenger service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been looking to talk to you for months

pS: sethva = punk ass
                    I've been in the gym transforming myself into an endurance athlete!

I don't really use messengers anymore, my time is pretty hectic between work, the wife, and browsing the various triathlete boards.

I will try to come around more often!

Josh
                    Back to the basics!

Comment

Hey SCT- good to see you! Great to see you're still at it.

I've never done a triathalon (I loathe swimming too much) but I might have some advice to offer on the running/endurance aspects (being a former competitive distance runner).

I hate to do it but I disagree a little with ddawg There's some evidence to suggest that explosive training in conjunction with endurance training results in increased performance for endurance athletes. I always found that plyometric sessions also break things up and keep training interesting. Regular hill-work is also VITAL; nothing hits you harder than an incline you weren't prepared for.

You probably already know this from your research but practising transitions is pretty useful in overcoming some of the 'shock' and wobbliness moving between phases.

Hope that helps a little.

All the best man.

EDIT: also core work becomes pretty important.
                      Last edited by Blap; 02-15-2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blap
                        Hey SCT- good to see you! Great to see you're still at it.

I've never done a triathalon (I loathe swimming too much) but I might have some advice to offer on the running/endurance aspects (being a former competitive distance runner).

I hate to do it but I disagree a little with ddawg There's some evidence to suggest that explosive training in conjunction with endurance training results in increased performance for endurance athletes. I always found that plyometric sessions also break things up and keep training interesting. Regular hill-work is also VITAL; nothing hits you harder than an incline you weren't prepared for.

You probably already know this from your research but practising transitions is pretty useful in overcoming some of the 'shock' and wobbliness moving between phases.

Hope that helps a little.

All the best man.

EDIT: also core work becomes pretty important.
                        No reason to be sorry for disagreeing, very good point, I actually forgot about explosive training and plyo work, was focused more on the beginner aspect. Yes hills for both bike and running are essential and do not forget to do some sprints, I think around 400 meter or so is what I have read.

Comment

As far as plyo goes, I do indeed have a very good core and plyo program in place for once I start training specifically for my September Sprint Triathlon. Previous to now I've merely been doing core work twice a week, as I find that swimming seems to act as core work for me pretty extensively.

New log from today coming soon.

SCT
                          Back to the basics!

Comment

So today is Thursday, and the race is Saturday. Because of this I wanted to get some activity in without really 'hitting it hard'. I hit up the gym for weigh-in first, and then ate after I weighed in.

Weigh-In Results: -2lbs

After weighing in I hate some breakfast as Simon's Cafe, but I was too late to get oatmeal... talk about sad Josh!! Instead I settled on a piece of sausage quiche, which was marvelous, along with some homemade honey and almond toast and fresh strawberries. The breakfast of champions I tell ya! After a good 45 minutes of walking around the gym and talking to people I jumped in the sauna for 20 minutes and relaxed, talking shop with a fellow swimmer about how to improve my kick (I still bend the knees )

After my relaxing sauna trip I walked a mile on the track @4.0mph and then changed into my swim gear. Adorned in my swim cap, goggles, and jammers I hit the water. After some tiny swim drama I managed to get a lane and knocked out 9 laps with relative ease. In fact, I actually lapped the gentleman I was sharing a lane with, much to his suprise and my chagrin.

After the pool I sat in the hot tub for a while before getting dressed again. After my time in the hot tub I headed up to the front desk to mercilessly harass TC into competing in the triathlon with me. Since there are so few people in my age group (4 total) I thought it would be best if I had someone who would push me that I knew. He finally agreed, and we both began to talk mad shit about who would win the controversial bike ride!

In the end we put $10 on the bike ride, winner take all! I'm not sure if he thinks he can outride me or if he just thinks I can't really pull a sub6 3-miler, but either way I think I'm about to win $10.

I'm off to find some oatmeal or brown rice, carbup time baby!

Josh
                            Back to the basics!

Comment

lol @ "sad josh".

Soon everything will be in the 3rd person. You'll be going around saying things like "Josh doesn't like that.", "I don't think that Josh approves of this". That'd be hilarious.

On a serious note, good luck in the race. Glad to see youre working hard at it.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                              Purple Wraath
                              Green Magnitude
                              Orange Triad
                              White Flood
                              Blue Up
                              100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                              US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Working...