H.I.T. : What do you think of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.I.T. : What do you think of it?

I've researched alot into HIT and the principals surrounding it. I own several of Menzter's books and currently reading Darden's new HIT book.

While I think some of HIT has been distorted because of everyone's views, "This way is the right way", and also the die-hard fanatics of the program ... I think it has some very good things to offer the bodybuilding world.

I am NOT in favor of taking as much time off as they advocate.

But I am in favor of replacing volume with intensity. I think they have alot to offer the bodybuilding world, and if you incorporate HIT as a change of pace to your normal volume or power routines, I think the results you would see would be quite impressive.

I'd like to hear everyones comments on this!

I think you can take some of the principles and use it towards anything else. I have not looked at their program in some time but I feel that no matter what you do volume, low reps, or whatever you have to give it 100% and lift intense. All of my lifts are explosive and I give it my all, even when a rep comes off slow and take a bit to get locked out I still explode and execute with all effort.

This is why I am liking P/RR/S, it gives me a chance to lift heavy, do some rep work, and shock the shit out of my muscles without burnout or feeling like I am missing this or that. In over 10 years of lifting I have done it all. I did well with Yates' principles and still to this day use the intensity that I learned there. When I am training for PL and using my Westside routine it is intense whether it is DE or ME day.

Basically what I am saying is if you half ass your workouts you will get no where no matter what routine you do. If you go to the gym and attack it like a crazed gorilla then you will succeed. Everyone's body is different and you need to take the principles and tailer every routine to work for you.
    Last edited by ddawg91; 01-29-2007, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
      While I think some of HIT has been distorted because of everyone's views, "This way is the right way", and also the die-hard fanatics of the program ... I think it has some very good things to offer the bodybuilding world.
      "As to methods, there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson"

Comment

Good answers guys. Very insightful!

Do you think that 1 set to absolute muscular failure is enough on it's own to trigger growth?

Comment

Good answers guys. Very insightful!

Do you think that 1 set to absolute muscular failure is enough on it's own to trigger growth?
          Growth ? or optimal growth ? Not unless it's part of a much bigger and different picture IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
            Growth ? or optimal growth ? Not unless it's part of a much bigger and different picture IMO.
            Take a typical HIT full body workout. Each muscle group is put through 1-3 very intense sets (including rest pause, negatives, etc) twice per week.

Would that be enough to trigger optimal growth?

Comment

Take a typical HIT full body workout. Each muscle group is put through 1-3 very intense sets (including rest pause, negatives, etc) twice per week.

Would that be enough to trigger optimal growth?
              (At least) two other variables we would need to know first:

- Genetics (Good / Average / Bad) ?
              - What type of program would the person be switching FROM...

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                (At least) two other variables we would need to know first:

- Genetics (Good / Average / Bad) ?
                - What type of program would the person be switching FROM...
                Average genetics, switching from a typical split (chest/bis, legs, bis/back) 3 day-week.

Do you think the HIT principal of doing more work than is neseccary to stimulate growth inhibits recovery?

Comment

[QUOTE=ddawg91
                  This is why I am liking P/RR/S, it gives me a chance to lift heavy, do some rep work, and shock the shit out of my muscles without burnout or feeling like I am missing this or that. DE or ME day.QUOTE]

Dawg, what is P/RR/S and DE or ME? Yates workout is pretty intense and I throw it in every once in a while. So what you are saying is the best thing about any work out HIT or other is the High Intensity?
                  Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

[QUOTE=icetrauma]
                    Originally posted by ddawg91
                    This is why I am liking P/RR/S, it gives me a chance to lift heavy, do some rep work, and shock the shit out of my muscles without burnout or feeling like I am missing this or that. DE or ME day.QUOTE

Dawg, what is P/RR/S and DE or ME? Yates workout is pretty intense and I throw it in every once in a while. So what you are saying is the best thing about any work out HIT or other is the High Intensity?
                    P/RR/S is Power/ Rep Range/ Shock http://www.prrstraining.com/

ME is Maximum Effort and DE is Dynamic Effort, part of the Westside Barbell style of powerlifting. ME day you max out and DE day is for speed strength.

I would say yes to intensity and effort, if you only give it 80% and just go in and go through the movements you won't get much out of your workouts. Yes your muscles will be stimulated but yout goal is to break it down so it has to rebuild.

Comment

Thanks for the link and fast response. Always looking for a way to mix it up!
                      Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

every program works to a certain extent, especially when switching over from a program in which you've recently plateaued..
                        www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Average genetics, switching from a typical split (chest/bis, legs, bis/back) 3 day-week.

Do you think the HIT principal of doing more work than is neseccary to stimulate growth inhibits recovery?
                          im kind of in the same boat right now. ive been working a 4 day split for the past year (legs, chest, bi's/tri's, shoulders/back) any only changing my exercises and set/rep ranges with an occasional week off every so often.

i havent hit a plateau but ive been really tempted to start a HIT program to try and ignite some new muscle growth. only problem is that i dont see how this is done without overtraining! if you hit your muscles with max intensity 3 days a week, it seems impossible to recover by monday. or what happens if youre on a your 5 rep max week and you dont hit failure till 8 reps? do you do another set?
                          Intensity in Ten Cities

Comment

Originally posted by Holden Caulfield
                            im kind of in the same boat right now. ive been working a 4 day split for the past year (legs, chest, bi's/tri's, shoulders/back) any only changing my exercises and set/rep ranges with an occasional week off every so often.

i havent hit a plateau but ive been really tempted to start a HIT program to try and ignite some new muscle growth. only problem is that i dont see how this is done without overtraining! if you hit your muscles with max intensity 3 days a week, it seems impossible to recover by monday. or what happens if youre on a your 5 rep max week and you dont hit failure till 8 reps? do you do another set?
                            If you do a 3 day routine, then why can't you just hit monday, thursday, sunday (allows 72 hours rest) and then tuesday, friday, monday of the following week? Being stuck in Monday-Sunday to fit in a workout is fine, but can be limiting your rest too. Personally, I work a routine for about 4-6 weeks, then will switch it up and shock the body for another 4-6 week rountine, etc. Also, I do 5 rep maxes currently and if you don't hit failure on 5, you're not lifting heavy enough. Any time I feel like I can do over 5, I up the weight. That's just me of course.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                            Purple Wraath
                            Green Magnitude
                            Orange Triad
                            White Flood
                            Blue Up
                            100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                            US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Just wanted to share an experience with one of my first HIT workouts!

On Monday I wanted to take some of the HIT principals and put them into play.

I was curious to see if 1 set of "high intensity" exercise would cause DOMs for me the next day.

Workout:
                              Squat - 1 set
                              Bench Press - 1 set
                              OH Dumbell Press - 1 set

I put about 140lbs on my bar. I did 2 sets of warmup squats with that weight. About 5-7 reps each. Then I performed "the" set. I did as many reps as I could, which for me was about 16 reps of ATG squats. I then did 'rest-pause' style, resting with my legs extended, doing one rep, resting, doing another rep. I managed about 4-5 more reps in this fashion. I had trouble racking the bar, my legs were feeling very weak, and had trouble supporting the weight while I balanced the bar on the rack.

I was very out of breath. I think it takes more out of your cardio system doing sets this way. It took me about 5 minutes to reach a functionable rhythm of breathing. My legs were shaking worse than they have ever before.

I then moved onto bench press. Loaded the bar with about 120lbs. I did 2 warmup sets of about 5 reps each. Then came "the" set. I managed about 11 reps, and then I rested with my arms locked out, and managed another one. After I felt I could no longer manage any more reps without hurting myself, I held my arms out in the "less-than-locked" position for as long as I could, before racking the bar.

My chest, arms and shoulders were very tight, and had a great pump from this set. I was not as winded as with squats, obviously.

Then I moved onto dumbell press. I did 2 warmup sets of 25lbs, then I did my set with 45's. I managed about 6, then did 2 more with rest and pause. I found this movement EXTREMELY hard. My front delts and arms were totally TAXED from the benching.

That was it. Feeling utterly winded and drained, I layed on my bed and rested for about 20 minutes, not wanting to move. Then I got up and ate some food.

My legs and arms were very shakey the rest of the day. I remember holding the phone to my ear and having my arm shake.

The next day, my chest had signifigant DOMs. My arms and shoulders were tight with slight doms, and my legs were 'stiff', but did not hurt very much.

I plan on doing a "pull" HIT exercise on Thursday including deadlifts, chins, negative chins, rows, curls. After my 3 sets on Monday, I find it hard to beleive someone could do a succession of 12 exercises with minimal rest in between. But I'm going to shoot for about 6 or 7 with this 1 set, and see where the DOMs is on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                              X