X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robertson says he leg-pressed 2,000 pounds

Robertson says he leg-pressed 2,000 pounds

Fri May 26, 6:35 PM ET

Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson says he has leg-pressed 2,000 pounds, but some say he'd be in a pretty tough spot if he tried.

The "700 Club" host's feat of strength is recounted on the Web site of his Christian Broadcasting Network, in a posting headlined "How Pat Robertson Leg Pressed 2,000 Pounds."

According to the CBN Web site, Robertson worked his way up to lifting a ton with the help of his physician, who is not named. The posting does not say when the lift occurred, but a CBN spokeswoman released photos to The Associated Press that she said showed Robertson lifting 2,000 pounds in 2003, when Robertson was 73. He is now 76.

The Web posting said two men loaded the leg-press machine with 2,000 pounds "and then let it down on Mr. Robertson, who pushed it up one rep and let it go back down again." The Web site said several people witnessed the event, and shows video of Robertson leg-pressing what appears to be 1,000 pounds.

Clay Travis of CBS SportsLine.com called the 2,000-pound assertion impossible in a column this week, writing that the leg-press record for football players at Florida State University is 665 pounds less.

"Where in the world did Robertson even find a machine that could hold 2,000 pounds at one time?" Travis asked.

Andy Zucker, a strength-training coach at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, said leg presses of more than 1,000 pounds represent "a Herculean effort, and 2,000 pounds is a whole other story."

"If he was able to lift that much weight, I take my hat off to him, but the numbers suggest that people who lift that much weight are few and far between," Zucker said. "One would have to see what type of leg press it was on and under what parameters it was done."

CBN spokeswoman Angell Vasko said Friday that Robertson was not available for comment because he was "out of pocket" for the long holiday weekend.

Vasko said she has not seen Robertson leg-press 2,000 pounds but that it's not "a huge shocker" that he could.

"Pat is so healthy," she said. "This is something he trained for over an extended period of time. He lives a very healthy, regimented life."

One of the photos Vasko released had a digital date stamp of 1994, although she said Robertson performed the leg press in 2003. Vasko said that perhaps the date was not set properly on the camera.

The CBN Web site attributes Robertson's energy in part to "his age-defying protein shake." The site offers a recipe for the shake, which contains ingredients such as soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, flaxseed oil and apple cider vinegar.

___

On the Net:

CBN Web site: http://www.cbn.com/communitypublic/shake.asp
    REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
    Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
    Purple Psyko
    Gold Feast
    Blue Gene
    Blue Growth
    REDuction AM/PM Shots
    REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
    Orange TRIad
    White Flood (5 Flavors)
    Black Hole
    Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
    Green Bulge
    White Blood 2
    Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
    Blue Up
    Blue Up (Stim-Free)
    GlycerGrow (Elements line)
    CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
    Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Check the video in which he does 1000...check his form.

Comment

Wow, what amazing form..I don't think I've ever seen anything that can quite parallel that! Just kidding, but all joking aside I give props to the man just for keeping healthy and staying active, regardless of what he leg presses and how legit it is, I hope to be so lucky at his age, if I even make it that far, to still be able to walk right, let alone put up 10 half-assed looking reps of 1000.

Comment

On a side note, if you read through the article it has this nice little tidbit to say,

"His doctor, by the way, has leg pressed 2,700 pounds. It is not nearly as hard as the authors of these reports make it out to be. We have multiple witnesses to the 2,000 pound leg press, plus video of the 10 reps of 1,000 pounds. "

simply amazing

Comment

I've never had much respect for television evangelists, but now I have even less.

Watched the video, and I have a question. It's been a long time since I was in the gym, but I thought that if you were at 900 lbs, and you add 2 more 45's, then your only at 990. So how was that "1000"? Of course, 10 lbs isn't much, as we all know. I mean, nobody even cares if all you do is increase a PR by only 10 lbs.

And let's not even get into the issues of his "form". A leg press with a movement range of only a few inches? And how about the assistance with the arms? What's that about?

Comment

i am not sold of this
            i dont trust televanglists at all

who knows about those weights they could of been prop weights
            you can order them online they appear to be 45s but they are 5's

there are a million things about this that just dont sit right with me
            Owner of Fitness Paramount Personal Training

Comment

Originally posted by adoniscomplex
              i dont trust televanglists at all
              Good thinking

Comment

Originally posted by GimpyPaw
                I've never had much respect for television evangelists, but now I have even less.

Watched the video, and I have a question. It's been a long time since I was in the gym, but I thought that if you were at 900 lbs, and you add 2 more 45's, then your only at 990. So how was that "1000"? Of course, 10 lbs isn't much, as we all know. I mean, nobody even cares if all you do is increase a PR by only 10 lbs.

And let's not even get into the issues of his "form". A leg press with a movement range of only a few inches? And how about the assistance with the arms? What's that about?
                Holy crap I watched that video and spit out my milk, I dont even think hes working the quads

Comment

Yea complete BS
                  One Saturday morning, his physician said, “I’ll get you bragging rights. Let’s go to 2,000 pounds.” Then he worked up multiple reps of 1,400 pounds, 1,500 pounds, 1,600 pounds, 1,700, pounds, 1,800 pounds and 1,900 pounds. When 2,000 pounds was put on the machine two men got on either side and helped push the load up, and then let it down on Mr. Robertson, who pushed it up one rep and let it go back down again.

Comment

At least he can still lift weights at that age

But I don't see how he could have possibly done 2,000lbs. He had a lot of trouble moving 1,000lbs a couple of inches even with assistance from his arms.

Comment

I dunno who this guy is, but respect to him for caring about his health.

Those leg presses were awful.

Comment

Using that form I bet I could get up 2500!

I'm kind of insulted at his 1000lbs, my max is 1000x6 so I find his limited ROM and 'armage' an insult!
                        Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by Blap
                          I dunno who this guy is, but respect to him for caring about his health.

Those leg presses were awful.
                          hes a christian evangelist type guy on tv here in the states, but makes millions of dollars off of it. he has some sort of endorsement deal with nutrition express. he also convinces old religious ladies who adore him to go out and by low carb diet bars
                          REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
                          Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
                          Purple Psyko
                          Gold Feast
                          Blue Gene
                          Blue Growth
                          REDuction AM/PM Shots
                          REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
                          Orange TRIad
                          White Flood (5 Flavors)
                          Black Hole
                          Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
                          Green Bulge
                          White Blood 2
                          Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
                          Blue Up
                          Blue Up (Stim-Free)
                          GlycerGrow (Elements line)
                          CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
                          Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

i just saw the video about 5 secs ago... lol..... if i catch ANY of yall leg pressin' like that, i'm gonna walk up and slam my fist in your face
                            www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                              i just saw the video about 5 secs ago... lol..... if i catch ANY of yall leg pressin' like that, i'm gonna walk up and slam my fist in your face
                              Nah walk up slam the leg press down on them and laugh when they cant move it a half a cm

Comment

Working...
                              X