New Routine Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Routine Advice

Greetings from a cold, windy, rainy, wet, and depressing Juneau Alaska (but I have the Little Yellow Pills, so I am happy!)

After a year of semi-retirement following 20 years in the technology field, in January I am starting the final steps for a new career as a teacher. This entails doing a bit of student teaching in my local high school, and means my training time will be severely limited. Because of this, I am looking at streamlining my exercise routine, and am looking for any suggestions on what to eliminate, combine, re-combine, add, or whatever, in order to cut exercise time while somehow maintaining what I have gained.

Below is what I currently do. I also do aerobics, such as treadmill or bike on days 5, 6, and 7, as well as on leg days. Abs are done on occasion (I really hate doing ab work, so it is not listed). All of the following are performed 3 X 8 with the exception of the calf raises, which I do one set to failure on each of the 4 days. The first set is of moderate weight, with the remaining 2 sets at full weight. When I can do 8 reps (or 9, depending on body part) on sets 2 & 3, I increase the weight. Also, I will not add any chest exercise such as flys, as they are not kind to my shoulders (resulting from multiple injuries from that “I am indestructible” phase of life).

Day One (my favorite day - especially when i can't reach the back of my neck after exercising)

DB Bicep Curl
    Cable Tricep Extension – Rope
    EZ Bar Bicep Curl
    Cable Tricep Extension – V-Bar
    Reverse Bicep Curl (thumb over)
    Tricep Extension - DB
    Hammer Curl
    Forearm Curl
    Reverse Forearm Curl
    Standing Calf Raise

Day Two

Leg Press
    Squats
    Leg Extension
    Laying Leg Curl
    Seated Leg Curl
    Straight Leg Deadlift
    Standing Calf Raise

Day Three

Front Arm Raise
    Row – Machine
    Side Arm raise
    Underhand Cable Pulldown
    DB Press
    Wide Grip Pulldown
    DB Rear Lateral Raise
    Upright Row
    Cable Internal Rotation
    Cable External Rotation
    Standing Calf Raise

Day Four – The below are completed and miscellaneous exercises are added, depending on how I feel.

DB Bench Press
    DB Incline press
    Pullover
    DB Row
    Shrug
    Standing Calf Raise

Originally posted by Sacrifice
    Greetings from a cold, windy, rainy, wet, and depressing Juneau Alaska (but I have the Little Yellow Pills, so I am happy!)

After a year of semi-retirement following 20 years in the technology field, in January I am starting the final steps for a new career as a teacher. This entails doing a bit of student teaching in my local high school, and means my training time will be severely limited. Because of this, I am looking at streamlining my exercise routine, and am looking for any suggestions on what to eliminate, combine, re-combine, add, or whatever, in order to cut exercise time while somehow maintaining what I have gained.

Below is what I currently do. I also do aerobics, such as treadmill or bike on days 5, 6, and 7, as well as on leg days. Abs are done on occasion (I really hate doing ab work, so it is not listed). All of the following are performed 3 X 8 with the exception of the calf raises, which I do one set to failure on each of the 4 days. The first set is of moderate weight, with the remaining 2 sets at full weight. When I can do 8 reps (or 9, depending on body part) on sets 2 & 3, I increase the weight. Also, I will not add any chest exercise such as flys, as they are not kind to my shoulders (resulting from multiple injuries from that “I am indestructible” phase of life).

Day One (my favorite day - especially when i can't reach the back of my neck after exercising)

DB Bicep Curl
    Cable Tricep Extension – Rope
    EZ Bar Bicep Curl
    Cable Tricep Extension – V-Bar
    Reverse Bicep Curl (thumb over)
    Tricep Extension - DB
    Hammer Curl
    Forearm Curl
    Reverse Forearm Curl
    Standing Calf Raise

Day Two

Leg Press
    Squats
    Leg Extension
    Laying Leg Curl
    Seated Leg Curl
    Straight Leg Deadlift
    Standing Calf Raise

Day Three

Front Arm Raise
    Row – Machine
    Side Arm raise
    Underhand Cable Pulldown
    DB Press
    Wide Grip Pulldown
    DB Rear Lateral Raise
    Upright Row
    Cable Internal Rotation
    Cable External Rotation
    Standing Calf Raise

Day Four – The below are completed and miscellaneous exercises are added, depending on how I feel.

DB Bench Press
    DB Incline press
    Pullover
    DB Row
    Shrug
    Standing Calf Raise

That's a ton of stuff. What are you trying to accomplish to begin with? First thing I'd say, is don't do calves 4 consecutive days (potential to overtrain them too high doing that). You looking to gain size, lose weight, something else? Let us know and you'll be put on the path of the righteous! Welcome.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
    Purple Wraath
    Green Magnitude
    Orange Triad
    White Flood
    Blue Up
    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Oh, and never been to Juneau, but I liked Fairbanks.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
      Purple Wraath
      Green Magnitude
      Orange Triad
      White Flood
      Blue Up
      100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Hi Spartan. What I am trying to do is to contine to gain overall strength in order to remain active as I age (i'm 52 now). Size gains would be nice, and gains are comming, but at my age they come a bit slower and are not a priority (focus) for me as long as I continue to gain strength, which I am doing.

As for the four calf days - I do this because it helps me when I hike the local trails. Many of the trails are 4 miles or more one way with 1500+ foot elevation gains with some rock climbing thrown in at the end of he trail for fun. These are extremely rugged trails, not nice flat, smooth trails. When hiking these trails my shins tend to cramp up at times. I have found that frequent calf raises helps prevent this cramping more so than just once per week.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacrifice
          Hi Spartan. What I am trying to do is to contine to gain overall strength in order to remain active as I age (i'm 52 now). Size gains would be nice, and gains are comming, but at my age they come a bit slower and are not a priority (focus) for me as long as I continue to gain strength, which I am doing.

As for the four calf days - I do this because it helps me when I hike the local trails. Many of the trails are 4 miles or more one way with 1500+ foot elevation gains with some rock climbing thrown in at the end of he trail for fun. These are extremely rugged trails, not nice flat, smooth trails. When hiking these trails my shins tend to cramp up at times. I have found that frequent calf raises helps prevent this cramping more so than just once per week.
          Well, I wouldn't suggest doing 4 days of raises for that. What I would suggest, and it will sound stupid, but walking on the balls of your heals, toes up toward the ceiling. This will strengthen the ligament that connects your shin to your foot and reduce the cramping. I know because I got that when I would run as well. You can also do that while seated (better for balance) and just point your toes up as long as you can take it a few times a day. Over a few days to a week you'll see the change. Just watch that you don't over train in general.

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

1) Are the exercises above listed in the order they occur ?

2) Where are the off days ?

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
              1) Are the exercises above listed in the order they occur ?

2) Where are the off days ?
              Can't speak on the first, but I assumed days 5-7, his cardio days were technically the days off.

Current Supps:
              Purple Wraath
              Green Magnitude
              Orange Triad
              White Flood
              Blue Up
              100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

How many days do you want to train? How long do you have for each session?

Comment

Working...
                X