Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting Weights is Easy!!!! (Rant)

Allow me to rant,

Is it me, or have people been getting themselves TOO confused over lifting??? I have to admit, I'm included in this group. I've been searching for the magical potion for quite a while.

Time Under Tension, 5x5, HVT, HIT. Machines or Free weights? What percentage of my one-rep max should I use? Light weights? What rep range? Over training? How many bodyparts per day? There's so much information out there, with everybody claiming to be an expert, and to have the 'right way' to do things.

But the fact is, weight lifting is pretty simple!

You do need a good routine to follow, something that will have you doing the right exercises and not too often. Get a simple routine from Bodybuilding.com/Fun, or make one yourself. The key is NOT THE ROUTINE your following but HOW HARD YOU WORK ON IT. Do the exercises, increase the weight and kick your own ass. That's the only way results are going to come.

For far too long my results have failed because I haven't been satisfied with my rep scheme, weights used, full body workouts, how many times per week etc. I've spent more time DOUBTING my lifting than putting in hard work and saying F*** it to pseudo science and hot new programs.

People spend far too long talking about HOW to lift rather than just going and doing it. I've seen people who get big and strong by doing manual labor everyday, for 10-12 hours a day rather than the guys at the gym using nautilis machines who follow a strict schedule and have all these fancy sciences and ways to do things. Shuttup and lift! And when you pleteau, take a break and change it up.

"How do I increase my press?"
    "BY PRESSING!"

Yes, there's a point where knowledge of self becomes important, like identifying overtraining and pleateus. And you must know how to lift properly. But I think that results will come by how hard you lift, not what routine or school of thought that you follow.
    ---
    I'm just writing this because I see it (in my own personal experiences from lifting for 3+ years) and from the types of threads I see on bodybuilding.com, that alot of people act like they are sampling from the Bodybuilding menu, trying one thing versus another, when all they need to do is go and lift that heavy iron - that's it!

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by RenegadeRows; 12-19-2006, 09:58 AM.

I totally agree with you. There is to much information overload out there right now. Couple that with too many lazy people who want some one to tell them what the best of the best type of workout is. Instead they should just pick one strategy stick with it for a while and kick a$$in the gym.

I myself was guilty of these same things but I finally had an epiphany and realized that it does not matter what type of workout or what time of day or how many sets, reps, etc. My problem was I wasn't working hard enough. No training routine was going to make me work harder, it has to come from within myself.

The best way to see results =
    All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things. - Bobby Knight
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Comment

Amen brother. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I spent too many days worrying "Am I over training? Am I doing too many sets?" that I did not go balls-to-the-wall which I should have done. I bet I would be bigger and stronger by now if I didn't constantly doubt my routine and way-of-thinking.

There was a strength coach who said once,
      'Too many people do too many exercises. Cut the number of exercises in half, and work twice as hard on what's left and youll see better results'
      Last edited by RenegadeRows; 12-19-2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
        Allow me to rant....weight lifting is pretty simple!
        Correct... but powerlifting or getting huge.. IS NOT. In other words, it all depends on your goals and genetics. Some guys are 200lbs and shredded WITHOUT ever stepping foot inside a gym. Others (like me) were 130lbs at age 19 (pretty much done growing).

See the difference ?

Comment

Time Under Tension, 5x5, HVT, HIT. Machines or Free weights? What percentage of my one-rep max should I use? Light weights? What rep range? Over training? How many bodyparts per day?
          These things will all become more and more important to you as time goes on... MARK my words.

130 to 160 was easy
          160 to 175 was still pretty easy
          175 to 190 SEEMED difficult (I thought it was)
          190 to 225 WAS actually difficult (175-190 was NOTHING)
          225 to 240 was damn ****ing hard
          240 to 260 was insane... took extreme measures and painful sacrifice

Comment

But you also have to take in the fact that the body adapts the the stress placed upon it. If you want to just get fit, then yes it is easy. However I agree with Pu, if you want to get huge, powerlift, or strongman it is not so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
              If you want to just get fit, then yes it is easy.
              I agree with you to an extent. My opinion is that it all really depends on where your starting point is. If you are 200 lbs over weight (aka obese), then it is going to be alot harder for them to become "fit" than it would someone who is maybe 10-20 lbs over-weight, if getting fit is the goal for both of these people. For me, if someone says getting in shape is easy, I picture a guy 6 ft tall, 130 lbs walking into a gym picking up 15 lb db and doing 10 curls, benching 100 lbs, do a double bicep pose in the mirror and calling a day. Then he goes home and brags to all his "friends" ( aka message board members)(luckily we do not have any of these types of people here on this forum) about how hard he works out and how easy it is for him to be fit. You are correct in that it is easier for some people to get fit, big, strong, or what have you. I really think that the reason it is easier for these people to achieve their goals is that they have more will power and drive to succeed. For these type of indivduals, things usually come "easier".

Anyway, good topic!!
              All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things. - Bobby Knight

Comment

Originally posted by testmonster2000
                I agree with you to an extent. My opinion is that it all really depends on where your starting point is. If you are 200 lbs over weight (aka obese), then it is going to be alot harder for them to become "fit" than it would someone who is maybe 10-20 lbs over-weight, if getting fit is the goal for both of these people. For me, if someone says getting in shape is easy, I picture a guy 6 ft tall, 130 lbs walking into a gym picking up 15 lb db and doing 10 curls, benching 100 lbs, do a double bicep pose in the mirror and calling a day. Then he goes home and brags to all his "friends" ( aka message board members)(luckily we do not have any of these types of people here on this forum) about how hard he works out and how easy it is for him to be fit. You are correct in that it is easier for some people to get fit, big, strong, or what have you. I really think that the reason it is easier for these people to achieve their goals is that they have more will power and drive to succeed. For these type of indivduals, things usually come "easier".

Anyway, good topic!!
                Exactly!

Comment

Good posts by everyone. More of a reflection on my part - but I hoped it could spark a good topic!

I agree with what you said PT - You have come further than me and I respect you as a teacher of the iron game. I think that for me - personally - I was looking too deep into the sciences and 'theories' of weight lifting - and I was letting that get in the way of what is proven results: good, old fashioned hard work. I started @ 130lbs and have gotten up to 165lbs. I found that to be pretty easy I suppose, although it did take me about a year to do it.

I bet I could've done it sooner.

I was looking for the magic door you know. Supplements ... I tried them all! And routines ... all kinds of different techniques. "When the moon is full and you eat 2 eggs go do 30 pushups exactly 18 minutes later" Stuff like that! Scared to train hard because of overtraining rumors, that sort of thing.

When what I should've been doing is squatting heavy weight and eating like a horse, I was taking Andro @ 19 and doing pushups. But - you live and you learn. I'm just glad I have the time tested method of hard work and eating alot almost second nature.
                  Last edited by RenegadeRows; 12-19-2006, 06:41 PM.

Comment

You forgot standing on your head when the moon was full!

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                      You forgot standing on your head when the moon was full!
                      And also don't forget to grunt loudly during your sets, especially warm up sets!!!!!

Comment

....Scared to train hard because of overtraining rumors, that sort of thing....
                        Based on the emails and PM's I get, that's still one of the most common mistakes. It seems that people LOVE to go to extremes.

Comment

Originally posted by testmonster2000
                          And also don't forget to grunt loudly during your sets, especially warm up sets!!!!!

LoL, reminds me of Pumping Iron, when Arnold was talking during the interview of the guy asking for tips, and Arnold said go into the pose and scream as loud as you possibly can.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                          Purple Wraath
                          Green Magnitude
                          Orange Triad
                          White Flood
                          Blue Up
                          100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                          US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

A review for "The Strap" on BN.com

"It took 9 gallons of water to get this thing down. I haven't notice anything but a bulge in my belly. I'm using a leather jacket for PCT. Great product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
                            Last edited by RenegadeRows; 12-21-2006, 10:58 AM.

Comment

A review for "The Strap" on BN.com

"It took 9 gallons of water to get this thing down. I haven't notice anything but a bulge in my belly. I'm using a leather jacket for PCT. Great product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
                              Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                              Purple Wraath
                              Green Magnitude
                              Orange Triad
                              White Flood
                              Blue Up
                              100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                              US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Working...