scientific evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scientific evidence

Have there been any clinical trials conducted on creatine ethyl ester and magnesium creatine chelate? As in double-blind, placebo, controlled experiments? I know many have reported results, but this could all be placebo. I know creatine monohydrate does have real clinical trials to back it up...

Mg2+-creatine chelate and a low-dose creatine supplementation regimen improve exercise performance.

Selsby JT,
    DiSilvestro RA,
    Devor ST.
    Section of Sport and Exercise Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA.
    We tested the hypotheses that, compared with a placebo group or creatine (Cr) group, a Mg(2+)-Cr chelate group would demonstrate improvements in the 1 repetition maximum (1RM) on the bench press and be able to perform more work at 70% of the 1RM for the bench press. Thirty-one weight-trained men were randomly assigned in a double-blind manner to a placebo group (multidextran), a Cr group (2.5 g of Cr daily), or a Mg(2+)-Cr group (2.5 g of Cr daily). Baseline data were collected for the bench press 1RM and maximal work completed during a fatigue set at 70% of the 1RM. Following 10 days of Cr supplementation, follow-up tests were completed for the dependent variables. Groups were similar when the change in 1RM was evaluated either absolutely or relatively. Both the Cr and the Mg(2+)-Cr groups had significantly larger increases in work, both absolutely and relatively, when compared with the placebo group. Partial support for the hypothesis suggests that low doses of Cr are effective at increasing fiber Cr content, and consequently, performance. Further, the Cr and Mg(2+)-Cr groups were similar in both performance tests, suggesting that the proposed mechanism of entry is no better than the conventional method when 2.5 g of Cr is administered and performance is measured as work. This study raises the possibility that a low dose of Cr may be an effective means of enhancing performance after short-term ingestion.
    PMID: 15142029 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Comment

sweet

Thank you! good reply! I wonder what difference, if any, the Mg will make. More inta-cellular water perhaps?

Comment

In my opinion, it's in the pathways. MCC operates via a different pathway. Whether or not it's a quicker absorbed, and more efficient path, hasn't been studied yet. But when you combine MCC and another creatine, it's a dual-pathway uptake. It increases its efficiency and chance of absorbtion. Anectodal feedback seems to support it is more advanced than others, also.

Comment

Creatine chellate and ethyl ester are different then monohydrate in the fact the body treats the ester as sugar. Think alcohol. Therefore is presents it in a different manner and that's why you don't hear as much of a cry for loading with it as compared to mono. There's no need TO load it.
          Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
          US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
            Creatine chellate and ethyl ester are different then monohydrate in the fact the body treats the ester as sugar. Think alcohol. Therefore is presents it in a different manner and that's why you don't hear as much of a cry for loading with it as compared to mono. There's no need TO load it.

Aye. I prefer Creatine malate over ethyl ester.

Comment

Working...
            X