Effects of Pescription painkillers on bodybuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of Pescription painkillers on bodybuilding

We all know that Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen hurt protein synthesis within the body and therefore stunt muscle growth but what about pescription strength painkillers ? Opiate based and otherwise. Any insight?

Originally posted by d0nte01 View Post
    We all know that Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen hurt protein synthesis within the body and therefore stunt muscle growth but what about pescription strength painkillers ? Opiate based and otherwise. Any insight?
    Opiates = teh good

Comment

I'm pretty sure they just work off your opiate receptors, and not like a NSAID. Could be wrong though.

Comment

havent seen any direct studies, but cant see how they would hinder it with limited use. long term use would be bad on many levels.
        REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
        Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
        Purple Psyko
        Gold Feast
        Blue Gene
        Blue Growth
        REDuction AM/PM Shots
        REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
        Orange TRIad
        White Flood (5 Flavors)
        Black Hole
        Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
        Green Bulge
        White Blood 2
        Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
        Blue Up
        Blue Up (Stim-Free)
        GlycerGrow (Elements line)
        CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
        Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Based on the mechanism of action (which I barely understand, im only a medical student...) I don't think it would interact much/any. An NSAID is a different animal compared to an opiate. The opiate would interfere with your ability to perform coordinated motion, but as far as muscular effects, I have not seen anything that says it would have an effect. to be totally honest with you though, i dont think there is much research out this. you can get muscle twitches and tremors, but once again, this is a CNS mediated effect, not a direct muscular one.

Comment

Caution

I have not seen any studies but I don't believe it would be good. Especially in the long run. Also, there are some painkillers that have Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen in them,

Comment

Originally posted by d0nte01 View Post
              The claim that Acetaminophen and NSAIDs decrease protein synthesis after exercise is extremely controversial. From the primary literature (clinical studies) that I've read, the only definitive conclusion on the subject is that further research needs to be conducted and suggests there may be a correlation between the two. The idea that muscle protein synthesis may be altered by NSAIDs comes from early animal studies and is not necessarily proven in humans. Also the mechanism by which these drugs may cause this is widely unknown, but it is speculated that a factor involved may be that NSAIDs such as ibuprofen clearly interfere with the inflammatory process. The inflammation of muscle tissue associated with resistance training may play an important role in increasing muscle protein synthesis. Now since acetaminophen has no effect on inflammation I would recommend using it to relieve muscle soreness over NSAIDs.

Now the short answer to your question is that an opiate alone (not in combination with an NSAID or Aspirin) should not have this hypothesized effect because it only interferes with pain perception not inflammation. But just remember opiates can cause drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, and vomitting, and at higher doses decreased respiration so it's not a good idea to take them before you hit the gym. Also remember that most prescription opiates come in combination with acetaminophen...

The above is my personal opinion and based on my own knowledge. Just so you know my background, I'm 1 year away from graduating a six year doctor of pharmacy program but my true passion is fitness...And a huge fan of Controlled Labs supplements haha

Comment

Working...
              X