Increasing Your Bench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Your Bench?

Been stuck @ my 1RM for a while now. I've been working extra hard on heavy squats and deadlifts, because I've heard that those exercises really help on your bench max.

I've also been doing 6-8 sets of 1-3 reps on Chest day of Flat BP.

I was wondering, what's the best rep/set scheme to increasing bench press? I assume it's 1-3 reps with heavy weight, for strength, so you will improve. But my workout partner suggested trying 6-8 rep range because I haven't been making quick progress with my 1-3.

Any ideas?

Just switching it up might prove very effective for you depending on how long you've been working at your current routine.

6-8 sets of 1-3 sounds like a lot of sets though. Is that working sets or does that include warm up sets? Do you pyramid your weights or try to stick around the same weight for the duration.

Personally I've had a lot of success with the bench program listed here. Its basically a day with medium reps and a day with heavy weight..but it will most certainly work you.

http://www.eas.com/training/benchpress/index.asp

I stayed away from the rest of the split and kept with my own thing. I used it solely for flat BP and liked/used it mainly because it has progression tables already set with what you should be lifting and it will provide you with more confidence when pushing yourself to make some gains. It also has some failure tests built in to test if you're on track. I've run it through a few times now and have always seen good progress. Just one example of something out there you may want to consider though. I'm sure there are tons of programs out there, if anyone knows a better one feel free to share

I've also done the 5x5 thing and liked that as well.
    Last edited by Maestro973; 10-23-2006, 01:26 PM.

Comment

How often do you do yoru 1RM? You should not "max out" every week. no more than 1x a month. A rep scheme between 3-5 is good but also you should bring up your triceps also. Form and technique are other factors that play in increasing your 1RM.

Comment

closegrip decline

flat bench pauses

forearm work, trap work

alot of tricep work

and static overload holds

Comment

Been mentioned already but increasing your tricep strength was key to getting a higher bench. Close grip bench press is a good one to start with if your not doing that already. Also what helped me was lowering the weight and doing high rep benching for a week or two. That helped me through a plateau or two. Let us know how you progress.
          Last edited by Biceps18; 10-23-2006, 09:42 PM.
          Loyal Controlled Labs user since October/06!

Comment

Sorry double post.
            Loyal Controlled Labs user since October/06!

Comment

Thanks guys. I think your right on with a) More tricep work and b) Not doing my max every week. I'm eager for results, however I think my chest + delts are way stronger than my tris, and that may be whats holding me back.

I do about 5-7 working sets of 3 reps with the same weight usually. I'm changing it up this week to look more like this:

3 sets - 8-10 reps
              (increase weight)
              2 sets - 3-5 reps

Comment

eat bigger.

Comment

start doing negative reps
                  www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                    How often do you do yoru 1RM? You should not "max out" every week. no more than 1x a month. A rep scheme between 3-5 is good but also you should bring up your triceps also. Form and technique are other factors that play in increasing your 1RM.
                    I ussually do 1rm on DL for around 3-4weeks

Comment

All great tips, all things I should start doing. Thanks guys! Keep em comin! This is a great thread that applies to all exercises it seems.

Comment

How does your incline compare to your flat and do you always start off with FB on chest day? If ya do then alternate the 2 pressess. On tri's lift heavy with close grip bench, skull crushers, dips and reverse grip bench to build stregnth. Lay off of you 1RM for about 4-6 wks then retest. Keep us updated.
                        Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

Some ideas here:
                          http://controlledlabsforum.com/showthread.php?t=493

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g

jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro973
                              Personally I've had a lot of success with the bench program listed here. Its basically a day with medium reps and a day with heavy weight..but it will most certainly work you.

http://www.eas.com/training/benchpress/index.asp
                              This shit looks really promising. I'm going to give it a try in a few weeks for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X