Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clueless on how to approach this (READ!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clueless on how to approach this (READ!)

i have cranked up my MMA training, it now is as follows-

brazilian ju-jitsu M W F Sunday
    Stand up/MT/boxing Thur Fri Sat
    Flexband/plyo sat

the problem i am running into is my weight training. because i got a new job, my hours are 8:30 - 5:30, with an hour commute both ways, so if i try hard i can hit the gym at 6:30, but i have BJJ at 7:30 (25 minute drive) so its pointless to try to hit the gym before. it lets out at 8:30, but i definately DONT feel like lifting after rolling/sparring for an hour.

that leaves me with Tuesday, Saturday, & sunday (depending on my workout, i could hit the gym thursdays because my stand up doesnt start till 8, so i have a little time before.

i have tried to hit the gym early in the morning, but its almost impossible for me to get a worthwhile lift in (although i can do cardio just fine) PLUS its extremely difficult to wake up routinely at 5 am every morning. ive tried.

so in my best efforts, i figure a full body routine sundays, tuesdays and thursdays would work best.

lets not forget about my cardio too.

either way, i have come up with 2 options

full body routine consisting of:

bench, military press, preacher curl, skull crusher, wrist curls, bent over lateral raises, lat pulldown and/or cable rows, squats, deadlift and abs

OR

listen to the pros and do this workout randy courture does:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=randy+couture

and then abs

help please

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
    hour commute both ways....
    Ouch

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
      listen to the pros and do this workout randy courture does:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=randy+couture

and then abs

help please
      I've noticed that Rich Franklin does an extreme circuit routine like that as well. I'm assuming it is based more on endurance and fighting through muscular and cns exhaustion than on a pure strength standpoint?

While I am obviously not an MMA person, I think you'd benefit more from a heavy compound routine 2-3 times per week over that type of training. Due to your time constraints I'd go Tuesdays and Saturdays full body and the rest of your routine as you listed.

Hope it helps!
      SCT
      Back to the basics!

Comment

sounds like a plan stan, thanks for the input. heavy compound sounds good to me

Comment

Even the full body workout you list seems extensive for what you are trying to accomplish. What reps/weights you using? Looking for size or maintaining flexibility? With your build, unless you want to go up in weight, I would work more explosive movements as well, like hips and calves for shooting ability. Personally, never been a fan of BJJ. I'm more of a greco guy myself with kenpo as my striking. What can help too is talking to local high school/college coaches for wrestling and they can give you their views on shooting for leg take downs and you can analyze that and what other exercises you can incorperate for maximum efficiency.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
          US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment