evaluate my routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evaluate my routine

i do a full body workout 3 times a week. i am a newer lifter and thought this would be good. i am already in good physical shape as i have played sports, hockey and basketball my whole life.

here is what i do. its very simple and i have not fine tuned anything. just looking for suggestions/input:

i do every excersise with 3 sets.

bench
    sqaut
    pull-ups
    dips
    calf raises
    deadlifts

that is usualy the order i would do things in.

ok, so i do 3 sets of each. i find a weight for each where i fail at around the 5th rep. i keep the same weight for all 3 sets. the next workout day i dont change any of the weights on my lifts, i just try to get more reps. i will keep the same weight on each excersise until i can do 10 or more reps with it. the workout day after i have reached the 10 or more reps i will find the new weight that i can only get 5 reps in and repeat the process.

i have read that you should constantly be trying to increase either the reps or the weight, so i figured my logic was on the right track. i would also think i am getting a good mix of strength and hypertrophy in doing this.

let me know if i am spinning my wheels.

Although I have not done full body routines, it seems as if you have it down.

Comment

ok. the aproach seemed pretty logicl to me.

i didnt feel like calculating %'s of my 1RM or things like that, where everytime i workout i have to use a new formula or something like that. i just dont know how worthwhile that is, especialy for a new lifter.

i may start a 5x5 soon though.

any opinions on splits vs. full body?

Comment

Personally I like splits over full body as you can focus on specific lagging parts and exhaust it more than on a full body. Better way to build strenght and size.

Comment

yeah. i am trying to weigh the pros and cons.

on a split, you can get more excersises in per muscle group. but in a full body you get to work everything 3 times a week.

what if i lifted 6 days a week and rotated upper and lower body? that way i could take a little bit more time out to work things better but still get to work my full body 3 times a week?

Comment

Not bad... I'm loving full body workouts to switch things up. Personally I do something like this right now:

Full Body Day 1: Deads, Squats, Bench, Arms, Chest
            Off + Cardio:
            Full Body Day 2: Bench, Squats, Deads, Lats, Calves
            Off + Cardio:
            Full Body Day 3: Squats, Deads, Bench, Traps, Abs
            Off:
            Off + Cardio:

Nothing too crazy... still tweaking it.. after plenty of stretching I'll go light for one set then heavy 4-6 reps (first ex.). For the rest I'll go 8-12 reps, and for those I listed at the end.... 12-15 reps. Example:

Deads (Warmup + 4 sets of 6), Squats (4 sets of 8-12), Bench (4 sets of 8-12), Arms (4 sets of 12-15), Chest (4 sets of 12-15.. incline Fly for example).

Comment

that looks good. may try something like that. seems well balanced.

when i see something like 4 sets of 10 or something similar. do people deload the weight each set so they can get the same amount of reps. otherwise i wouldnt be able to get all 4 sets in the same rep range. or do you just pick a weight you can sandbag the first few sets?

i was looking at the 5x5 program and i have seen people do it both ways. some people ramp up to their heavy set of 5 and then some people seem to pick a weight and stick to that weight until they can get 5 sets of 5 with it, then add 5 pounds

Comment

my routine

I do back and biceps one day then chest tricep and shoulder the next then legs and a strong cardio ussually swimming 20-30 laps in the pool. I also do stomach everyday because you can and my traps heal really fast so I do them every other day. This works for me well because I take come supplements like N.O. explode which I take on my chest tricep day because it's my hardest day. Full body workouts are good but I think they burn you out compared to isolate and develop well cut muscle that recover faster due to the fact that they are still being used just not hard. after my chest and tricep day I do back and Bicep in which my chest and tricep are stained slight which causes them to warm the muscles back up and let the ATP flow in and recover. Just some thoughts every person is different and do what yor body will let you. don't be too afraid of overtraining. Common rulle one to two days after you work each muscle group.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                  Not bad... I'm loving full body workouts to switch things up. Personally I do something like this right now:

Full Body Day 1: Deads, Squats, Bench, Arms, Chest
                  Off + Cardio:
                  Full Body Day 2: Bench, Squats, Deads, Lats, Calves
                  Off + Cardio:
                  Full Body Day 3: Squats, Deads, Bench, Traps, Abs
                  Off:
                  Off + Cardio:

Nothing too crazy... still tweaking it.. after plenty of stretching I'll go light for one set then heavy 4-6 reps (first ex.). For the rest I'll go 8-12 reps, and for those I listed at the end.... 12-15 reps. Example:

Deads (Warmup + 4 sets of 6), Squats (4 sets of 8-12), Bench (4 sets of 8-12), Arms (4 sets of 12-15), Chest (4 sets of 12-15.. incline Fly for example).
                  wow I am liking that

Comment

ive always mixed it up sometimes...see what works best and change it around.

Comment

Originally posted by asianbabe
                      wow I am liking that
                      Why thank you your babeness

It is borderline overtraining as you notice I do cardio even after a leg day, but I think it's appropriate for the high protein intake individual or someone who tends to recover fast, yet hasn't been growing (a shitty combo). The idea behind doing squats as often as possible is simply hormonal, so I'm not sure how it would work for the ladies.
                      Last edited by pu12en12g; 10-12-2006, 02:10 PM.

Comment

i have a question for you pu12. when you say you do bench for 4 sets of 8-12 in your first example, do you stay with one weight for all 4 sets or do you ramp up?

i never know if i should ramp up or not. i would like to try something similar to this, since i do recover pretty fast. even faster now that i have the green mag! i feel fully recovered by the end of the day i workout on.

do high reps work well for your arms? you only have them on there once and its at the end.

just trying to pick your brain =)

Comment

Originally posted by Stert
                          i have a question for you pu12. when you say you do bench for 4 sets of 8-12 in your first example, do you stay with one weight for all 4 sets or do you ramp up?
                          Great question.. nothing mind-blowing here but the goal is essentially positive failure during the last couple of sets on the primary 4-6 reps, but in this case we're talking about the secondary 8-12 so not a perfect example. But if throwing on a extra 20lbs is necessary I don't hesitate.. but it usually isn't necessary if you emphasize MMC AND leave ego at the door. Remember... you are going to be hitting bench every few days which changes everything. This is highly controversial without a doubt, and (for example) a trainee with a low protein intake will SUFFER from this routine whereas a trainee with a high protein intake will grow like a weed... and that's oversimplifying it.

Here is a example:

135 x 15 warmup
                          225 x 10 (didn't get 12 ? then no additional weight)
                          225 x 10
                          225 x 8
                          225 x 8

Another example:

135 x 15 warmup
                          225 x 12 (too easy ! Add additional weight)
                          245 x 10
                          245 x 8
                          245 x 8

If you leave your ego at the door and emphasize the muscle you are training / stretching / stimulating and NOT just the weight / number you are pushing... the last couple of sets should be a B*TCH !!!

Another HUGE variable is rest between sets, so experiment with that as needed and you will know what I mean
                          Last edited by pu12en12g; 10-13-2006, 01:26 AM.

Comment

You may also want to check out some articles by Chad Waterbury. He's a huge advocate of full body routines, and has quite a few templates that you can mess around with.

Comment

ok. that is basically what i do in my routine.

but on the excersises where you are doing 4-6 reps i may end up needing to take weight OFF the bar after the first few sets, unless my first couple sets feel really easy.

say i do 100lbs for 5 reps and it was hard. i may be able to do the second set of 5 with the same 100lbs, but my 3rd set i would probably only be able to push out 3 and the 4 set would be even worse. (numbers just made up lol)

so should i pick a weight for my first set that is a little bit easy but that i will be going to failure my last few sets almost. or should i be pushing it hard every set but will probably need to ramp the weight DOWN.

the reason i ask is because i have never really seen a routine where someone is actualy taking weight off between sets to keep within the same rep range.

thanks for your help

*i am recovering like mad with green mag. last night was my second workout with it!
                              Last edited by Stert; 10-13-2006, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X