Fat Loss Plateau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Loss Plateau

In the last three months I have lost about 30lbs. I went from almost 230 to my current 195 lbs. My problem is that I've been at 195 for three weeks now, and it's not because I'm adding muscle. I've used carb cycling to get where I'm at now along with staggering calories and I occasionally throw in a full cheat day upping calories to maintenance or a little bit higher. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do to get out of this plateau. I was thinking of either increasing cardio or lean bulking for a couple of weeks. I've heard that alot of people have gotten good results from lean bulking for a few weeks and then returning to a cutting diet. I figure I could eat enough so that my metabolism gets reset and minimize weight gain to 1-2 lbs in that tiem frame. I definitely don't want to cut calories anymore. Does anyone have any feedback on what would be the best strategy for getting things back on track?

Originally posted by LJ57
    In the last three months I have lost about 30lbs. I went from almost 230 to my current 195 lbs. My problem is that I've been at 195 for three weeks now, and it's not because I'm adding muscle. I've used carb cycling to get where I'm at now along with staggering calories and I occasionally throw in a full cheat day upping calories to maintenance or a little bit higher. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do to get out of this plateau. I was thinking of either increasing cardio or lean bulking for a couple of weeks. I've heard that alot of people have gotten good results from lean bulking for a few weeks and then returning to a cutting diet. I figure I could eat enough so that my metabolism gets reset and minimize weight gain to 1-2 lbs in that tiem frame. I definitely don't want to cut calories anymore. Does anyone have any feedback on what would be the best strategy for getting things back on track?
    I think in your instance that clean bulking for a while might be just the kick that your body needs to get back into successfully cutting. You could also up the cals and at the same time up the cardio too, remember weightloss is about expending more calories than you intake, so sometimes messing with the calories on the intake and expenditure end is what is needed to break plateaus.

SCT
    Back to the basics!

Comment

whats weird is when i first lost a ton of weight, i hit a plateau. then i started eating more and than lost about 7-8 more pounds. weirrrrrrd

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
        whats weird is when i first lost a ton of weight, i hit a plateau. then i started eating more and than lost about 7-8 more pounds. weirrrrrrd
        Sometimes the excess calories actually enhance your thyroid's functions. I call it the law of fatloss downregulation!

IE eventually eating a caloric deficit is going to slow the metabolism, which means you either have to lower the calories more which repeats the cycle or go the opposite route and up the calories in an effort to speed up the metabolism. That is also one of the big purposes for refeeds.

SCT
        Last edited by stonecoldtruth; 08-22-2006, 07:19 PM.
        Back to the basics!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback stonecoldtruth and jaymdubbs. I think I will up the calories for a few weeks and try to get my metabolism reset.

That makes sense that you lost more weight when you upped your foos intake. The last time I tried to cut a few years ago, I quit after a couple of months and ate about as dirty as humanly possible...3000-3500+ calories per day from the worst foods imaginable. It took 2-3 months before I even began to put the weight back on. This time I will keep my eating clean and try to eat more good carbs to enhance my thyroid function.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
            Sometimes the excess calories actually enhance your thyroid's functions. I call it the law of fatloss downregulation!

IE eventually eating a caloric deficit is going to slow the metabolism, which means you either have to lower the calories more which repeats the cycle or go the opposite route and up the calories in an effort to speed up the metabolism. That is also one of the big purposes for refeeds.

SCT

spoken like a true scholar.................

Comment

I've started eating about 3,000 calories per day, mostly clean foods with more good carbohydrates. I wonder how long I should do this before returning to cutting calories and carb cycling. How long do you think I should do the clean bulk before my metabolism gets "reset"?

Comment

Originally posted by LJ57
                I've started eating about 3,000 calories per day, mostly clean foods with more good carbohydrates. I wonder how long I should do this before returning to cutting calories and carb cycling. How long do you think I should do the clean bulk before my metabolism gets "reset"?
                For metabolic purposes a couple of weeks would work fine, if you need a mental break from cutting I'd go for a month or two.

SCT
                Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
                  I call it the law of fatloss downregulation!

SCT

hold up derrr son!!!!!

what's next, you naming planets?!
                  www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                    hold up derrr son!!!!!

what's next, you naming planets?!
                    You are right, since I haven't yet proved my law it would be merely a theory. Let me rename it for YOU..

Stonecold's Theory of Fatloss Deregulation

See, it improved!

SCT
                    Back to the basics!

Comment

Working...
                    X