My right shoulder gives me hell about everyother chest workout :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My right shoulder gives me hell about everyother chest workout :(

I always get in some warm up sets and up the weight slowly, set by set. But still, it seems about ever other chest workout is handicapped by right shoulder irritation. It only bothers me while I'm performing some form of presses. Feels fine post workout though.

What are some good stretches/warm-ups/tips to help me with this?

incline press places more stress on the shoulder girdle, decline places the least.

xsearch the training section, i posted alot of shoulder stretches for people with rotator cuff injuries before.. there also has to be some kind of stretching internet database you can search for a longer more inclusive list..

Comment

O'rly?

Now that I think about it, Incline press is where it bothers me most.

I dont know how else I'm going to build up my upper-chest though.

Maybe if I move my inclines to around the middle of my workout, instead towards the front, I would be a little more "warmed up" when I get to inclines. Gonna hafta try this next workout.
      Last edited by adrian andras; 08-19-2008, 06:46 PM.

Comment

do you stretch pre/post workouts? for like 15-30minutes (sounds crazy but is ideal)

also do you warm up warm up, not stretching, but more of a semi small cardio warmup to get blood flowing and your heart rate up (you should have a small sweat going before you even begin a workout)

At 20, unless you have a serious issue, which I highly doubt cos shoulder issues blow and you would feel it all day long doing even the smallest of tasks, you may just need to give the shoulders a couple weeks of rest to recover and repair. If that doesn't work, maybe hit up a doc bout it.

also, how does your workouts go during the week? are you doing shoulders the day before chest or something??

when you do shoulder work, do you go behind or in front of the head?? (behind puts more stress onto shoulder girdle)
        Last edited by jiritt0; 08-20-2008, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
          do you stretch pre/post workouts? for like 15-30minutes (sounds crazy but is ideal)

also do you warm up warm up, not stretching, but more of a semi small cardio warmup to get blood flowing and your heart rate up (you should have a small sweat going before you even begin a workout)

At 20, unless you have a serious issue, which I highly doubt cos shoulder issues blow and you would feel it all day long doing even the smallest of tasks, you may just need to give the shoulders a couple weeks of rest to recover and repair. If that doesn't work, maybe hit up a doc bout it.

also, how does your workouts go during the week? are you doing shoulders the day before chest or something??

when you do shoulder work, do you go behind or in front of the head?? (behind puts more stress onto shoulder girdle)
          I do about 5 min of warm up pre workout, and about 10 min on the tread pre workout (unless my legs are still destroyed from leg day).

Shoulder workouts are 5+ days away from chest workouts. Doing a keto diet, recovering sloooow, I only hit the weights everyother or 3rd day, so things are pretty spaced apart. I never feel any pain when training delts.
          Last edited by adrian andras; 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I think you need to adjust your form to let your chest do the work... chest REALLY up and out there, breathe deep. Adjust grip as needed.

Comment

Another route is to strengthen your rotator cuff muscles . . . I found that helped me
              Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
                It only bothers me while I'm performing some form of presses. Feels fine post workout though.

What are some good stretches/warm-ups/tips to help me with this?
                How low are you going and have you tried only going to parallel and pause.... not to your chest (for example) ?

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                  How low are you going and have you tried only going to parallel and pause.... not to your chest (for example) ?
                  I usually dont go all the way to my chest. I do a wide grip and go do down about parallel.

I get my chest out infront of me and keep my shoulders back, but it's still inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
                    Another route is to strengthen your rotator cuff muscles . . . I found that helped me
                    what did you do to strengthen ur cuff?

Comment

seek my shoulder exercise/stretch post in the training forum

http://www.controlledlabsforum.com/s...ead.php?t=8555

theres 2 posts in there with pix attached -- some photocopied straight from my PT when i tore my cuff awhile back - others from a text on pitchers (who need strong shoulder/rotator cuff to support movement)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
                        Good to see ya back!

Oh hell ya. I totally agree. I am now able to actually hit barbell presses again after 2-3 months of nothing but cuff exercises, along with light weights. Cannot stress enough about rotator cuff exercises. They are the most over looked muscle group in my book. Yes, I know they are part of the shoulder but they are usually not directly worked.
                        Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
                          what did you do to strengthen ur cuff?
                          check out my log. This was all done prior to my wife giving birth since then it has slowed down quite a bit. Lifting that is.
                          Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

Working...
                          X