3 day a week training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 day a week training?

Im looking to change my training schedule this fall at college. i have lifted 4-5x a week for as long as i can remember.. not ever putting much cardio in besides summer time when i try to get cut up or during HS atheletics.

I want to change that.

I have a rough idea, but need help with what kind of lifts to do. belows my mental idea so far

Monday - weights, light cardio

Tuesday - AB circuit - intenser cardio

Wendsday - weights, light cardio

Thursday - AB circuit, intenser cardio

Friday - weights, light cardio

Sat - AB circuit, run stairs at our stadium

Sund - recovery, maybe light cardio when i get into it enough, prolly not though

I appreciate any feedback

yea i think that could get pretty intense. theres a small percentage of the population that could actually pull that kind of routine off (im sure you could tho)

id opt for a NOTHING sunday, for optimum recovery.

in terms of athletics, you ever think about another activity INSTEAD of all that cardio? (for instance i have MMA) might be a little more fun and it changes things up a bit.

im one of the few people i know that looks forward to running at the highest settings on a tread mill and stair master for over 20 mins. lol.

Comment

What's your goal with the new routine JD ?

Comment

new goal; have fun senior year (enjoy alcohol) and dont get very fat. maintain strength/muscle defnintion as much as possible. .. i also dont wanna be lifting weights in the gym for 1-2hr a day again. it sucks when its crowded, you can wait forever for equipment to use n all.. which pisses me off.

Im going to take my tennis/raquetball rackets back, those are both decent cardio, and i play intermarual softball, which is good cardio cos every at bat i hit a HR. no lie. plus i play the outfield n just sprint around alot.

i dont really know much else for cardio, i got my bike at school but its a POS and running > biking in terms of cardio work ... running sucks, but its the best cardio.. and usually by varying intensity i can stay persistent.. i like the stairs on weekends, i miss those from football days

also talked to the roommate about swimming laps, so he may be down for doing that occasionaly with me.. or i might go n do it myself, will have to figure out how the campus indoor pool works, lol

my main thing is i duno what kind of weight exercises to do m/w/f for maximium growth n all.. i think theres a special workout designedl ike that but i dont know that shizz..

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
          new goal; have fun senior year (enjoy alcohol) and dont get very fat. maintain strength/muscle defnintion as much as possible...

.....my main thing is i duno what kind of weight exercises to do m/w/f for maximium growth n all.. i think theres a special workout designedl ike that but i dont know that shizz..
          Well I think maybe you need to be a little more specific with yourself and take a closer look... are you just looking to:

a) maintain and chill out.. or
          b) for maximum growth...

The difference is HUGE and I think even Ddawg and Aries would agree.

Anyways, here is a cut / paste 3 day (full body)... I happen to be a fan of full body routines up to a certain point, so this may work for you since you will be dealing with school etc..

CYCLE: 3 Days Per Week
          LEVEL: Novice To Intermediate
          GOAL: Introduction To Bodybuilding

Legs
          • Leg Presses: 3 Sets x 12 Reps
          • Leg Curls: 2 Sets x 12 Reps
          • Standing Calf Raises: 2 Sets x 12 Reps

Chest/Shoulders
          • Flat Barbell Bench Presses:
          2 Sets x 10 Reps
          • Barbell Shoulder Presses:
          2 Sets x 10 Reps

Back
          • Front Pulldowns: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
          • Barbell Rows: 2 Sets x 10 Reps

Arms
          • Barbell Curls:
          2 Sets x 10 Reps
          • Lying Tricep Extensions:
          2 Sets x 10 Reps

Other
          • Ab Crunches: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
          • Aerobic Training: 20 minutes of low
          intensity aerobic

Monday: ON

Tuesday: OFF

Wednesday: REPEAT

Thursday: OFF

Friday: REPEAT

Saturday: OFF

Sunday: OFF
          Personally I would modify it like this:

Monday: BB 6-8 Rep range

Tuesday: OFF

Wednesday: DB 8-15 Rep range

Thursday: OFF

Friday: BB 6-8 Rep range

Saturday: OFF

Sunday: OFF
          See what I did there ?
          Last edited by pu12en12g; 08-19-2006, 08:44 AM.

Comment

why cant you maintain and chill out while lifting for maximum growth?!

I dont wanna lift as much as I have been, but when I lift I want to put my work to good use, going with full intensity for the best gains possible..knowhatimean?!

appreciate the info... isnt the some 5x5 3x a week program ?

Comment

well you can maintain strength/definition, and gain a little more strength, but the main issue is if you are lifting 3 times a week full body, thats less recovery time for your entire body , where as when you have a split you have MAXIMUM recovery so you do see those strength gains more rapidly.IMO
              (this isnt to say you wont say strength gains, but as PT said its NOT maximal to do this, but it is still effective)

how often do you plan on drinking? that in itself will hinder your gains to a certain degree as well (as you probably already know this)
              the effects of alchohol on muscle stay in your system for 48 hours (from what i read) so its really difficult for the alcohol to not affect your gains. since i just graduated my senior year, what i ended up doing was drinking on my cheat day. i figured since i already was a workout fiend, might as well adjust my caloric intake on the day of the week i was to be drinking. OR when i went out i paced myself nicely and had like 3-4 beers in like 4-5 hours. it sucks but everyone respects you more for doing lol.

Comment

Working...
              X