extension
    glute
    abductor
    abduction
    lunges
    calf raises

military press
    upright row

set ranges are dependent on if its a heavy day or volume day (drop sets and negatives)

what do you guys think?
    shrugs

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
    chest

bench
    incline
    decline
    cable cross over

tri
    rope pulldown
    DB kickbacks
    machineRegular pullover(maybe)
    dips(i would add weight)
    Seated 2handed db ext.

(part shoulder)DB front raises

back/Bi

Preacher curl
    Hammer Curl
    Reverse curl
    Alternating machine curl

lat pulldown
    Pull ups
    cable row
    stiff leg deadlift(move this to legs day you will never want to walk again)
    machine full motion cross lat pulldown (huh?)
    back extension

legs/shoulders

deadlifts
    squat
    press
    extension
    glute
    abductor(lol)
    abduction(lol)
    lunges
    calf raises

military press(push press wouldnt be bad either)
    upright row
    Bent Over Row
    Shrugs(how could you forget these)

set ranges are dependent on if its a heavy day or volume day (drop sets and negatives)

what do you guys think?
    shrugs
    i would keep whats in bold
    switch bi's and shoulders
    even tho i dunno what you want to do your list was too long too much stuff you dont really need imo.
    and i think legs should be all by themselves
    but i dont do that many excercises so *shrug*

Comment

being a mixed martial artist, my training protocol is a little differet than most people looking to body build. i need a combination of strength and endurance, which explains my reasoning behind the volume.

lol dont laugh about abductors, abductions, or glutes. those hit those kicking muscles pretty damn good.

i moved shoulders with legs because im already pushing 1.5 hrs with abs. leg workout takes less time because i usually superset the whole workout.

Comment

strength and endurance can be done with alot less exercises strength first your first explosive power exercise with a heavy 5x5 then everything else for that body part with high volume. atleast i would think it went that way then i would even go as far to say use things like. clean and presses and maybe even the bear which is def a test of muscle endurance. maybe even throw in some sled pulling. you should probably look into some sort of strongman type training. and if you want to hit the kicking muscles kick things hard things like parked cars or walls. there a million different ways to hit those muscles. go look at the links to the videos i posted and theres another site ext something or another that has all types of exercises that would probably benifit you more than those machines. but its just a suggestion

Comment

when im getting ready for a fight (or looking to change things up)
          i do sled pulls (winter) and i do stair drills with carrying a heavy bag, i do bear crawls, i do extensive flexband and plyometric training, so i think i got my bases covered.

also my rep schemes change - 3x12, 4x10s, 5x5 with heavy, 3x25's, etc

i work a lot of variety into my routines so i dont get stale and reach a plateau.

i do appreciate the suggestions tho.

the crappy thing about training is that there are a lot of theories about which type of training works best.

rich franklin does a ridiculously high volume full body routine on machines, where someone like matt hughes does a traditional split, with heavy weight.

theyre both champions, so who knows what works best.

Comment

if your a serious MMA'er you should have a strength and conditioning coach as it is - if your dojo is up to scratch.

matt furey - he should be your GOD.

you dont need any of thos isolation excersizes.

calf raises? Cable Crossovers? Kickbacks? gimme a fkn break

go the compounds. leave the isolations to the fairys lol

pu has some interesting links to Extreme stretching, would would benifit you greatly.

you dont need to be lifting weights more then 2-3 times a week.

work on skills my freind, there someone always gonna be stronger then you.....
            Last edited by Da Main Man; 08-18-2006, 07:34 AM.

Comment

I don't think typical BB or PL routines would apply to your scenario... IMO.

Comment

i would still add the bear if i were you thats strength + muscle endurance
                Last edited by bis; 08-18-2006, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Main Man
                  if your a serious MMA'er you should have a strength and conditioning coach as it is - if your dojo is up to scratch.

matt furey - he should be your GOD.

you dont need any of thos isolation excersizes.

calf raises? Cable Crossovers? Kickbacks? gimme a fkn break

go the compounds. leave the isolations to the fairys lol

pu has some interesting links to Extreme stretching, would would benifit you greatly.

you dont need to be lifting weights more then 2-3 times a week.

work on skills my freind, there someone always gonna be stronger then you.....

well i dont PLAN on becoming a professional, i would rather advance in my career, so "serious" training is something i cant afford to do (time constraints with the GF as well)

however, with that said I do have a strength and conditioning coach - i do plyometrics and FLEX BAND resistance training with him (which includes some pretty hardcore stretching). i am not training for a particular fight right now, so im kinda doing my own thing for now-

calf raises, crossovers, kicbacks?

i realize the whole isolation vs. compound debate, especially when it comes to athletes. once again, i repeat have you ever looked at rich franklins workout, he does isolations, and im sure tons of other MMAers do to.

however, calf raises help with structure on footwork - strengthing tendons and muscles , crossovers/cable flyes help with punching power, and kickbacks strengthen the tricep, one of th emor eimportant muscles for punching.

ive experimented with TONS of different routines - PUSH/PULL, all compound routines, bodyweight, etc. powerlifter

i am constantly experiementing and changing things up.

Comment

calf raises, crossovers, kicbacks?

i realize the whole isolation vs. compound debate, especially when it comes to athletes. once again, i repeat have you ever looked at rich franklins workout, he does isolations, and im sure tons of other MMAers do to.
                    im sure he does.....doesnt mean it will give you any direct benifits.

look at tito, hate they guy, but he is damn strong.

do you think he works his calves? no.

chicken legs = less bodyweight lol.

dude, do what works for YOU.

if your training for a hobby more then anything, and you wanna have a proportional body - go nuts.

Comment

lol i already have chicken legs, regardless of the calf raises.

Comment

lol i already have chicken legs, regardless of the calf raises.
                        fair call.

TUF 4 started last night over there huh?

gotta find a torrent

Comment

Working...
                        X