Helping a friend out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping a friend out

this chick i work with asked me to help her put together a diet so she could lose some weight and tone up. i have no clue what and how women should eat. anyone got any links to help me make a plan for her.

Originally posted by bis
    this chick i work with asked me to help her put together a diet so she could lose some weight and tone up. i have no clue what and how women should eat. anyone got any links to help me make a plan for her.
    Come with some more detail about her and her goals and we can certainly help you out.

Things such as:

Age, Bodytype, Weight, Goals, Current Exercise routine, etc.

SCT
    Back to the basics!

Comment

I would imagine the same as guys only less..

Comment

she is like 29 5'3 150lbs she wants to drop about 20-25lbs and tone up. Her body type is Endo/Meso according to BB.com. right now her routine consists of walking about 30 min 3x a week nothing really major i told her she might need to do some light weight training ahd she said she was cool with that if she knew what to do. which i can help out on that but the eating part which is the biggest imo im always lost.

Comment

Originally posted by bis
          she is like 29 5'3 150lbs she wants to drop about 20-25lbs and tone up. Her body type is Endo/Meso according to BB.com. right now her routine consists of walking about 30 min 3x a week nothing really major i told her she might need to do some light weight training ahd she said she was cool with that if she knew what to do. which i can help out on that but the eating part which is the biggest imo im always lost.
          Based on that info I'd try to get her to eat around 1800 calories to start out, keep track of her weight for a few weeks then reasses.. a few basic nutritional guidelines that might help as well.

1: Eat every 2-3 hours.
          2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.
          3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.
          4: Eat healthy fats daily.
          5: Carbs are not the enemy, but avoid high gi carbs and fat together.
          6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.
          7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

If you need more detailed help than that, just ask.

SCT
          Back to the basics!

Comment

if food is the major problem, first start her off with getting a few days of her recording every single thing she eats - on fitday or nutridiary.com

Check out the current calories she is eating first, then slowly reduce from there if it is too much.

If she is eating 3 x a day, gradually get it up to 4, then 5, or do 3 meals and 3 snacks to get her into the habit of eating regularly.

Post her diet up and we can make changes as per josh's guidelines ^^^
            Trainingwise - maintain what she is doing now, and slowly incorporate some weight training sessions - maybe twice a week to start with and see how she goes from there!

Comment

Originally posted by asianbabe
              if food is the major problem, first start her off with getting a few days of her recording every single thing she eats - on fitday or nutridiary.com

Check out the current calories she is eating first, then slowly reduce from there if it is too much.

If she is eating 3 x a day, gradually get it up to 4, then 5, or do 3 meals and 3 snacks to get her into the habit of eating regularly.

Post her diet up and we can make changes as per josh's guidelines ^^^
              Trainingwise - maintain what she is doing now, and slowly incorporate some weight training sessions - maybe twice a week to start with and see how she goes from there!
              And that is why I love you....
              Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
                And that is why I love you....
                *scratches head*

Comment

Tell her walking is elderly cardio. she needs to step it up a notch or 5 on the intensity ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                    Tell her walking is elderly cardio. she needs to step it up a notch or 5 on the intensity ladder.
                    Lol, let me quote Mr. Willy Shake-a-spear..

"Begin where you are, but don't stay there."

SCT
                    Back to the basics!

Comment

Lol, let me quote Mr. Willy Shake-a-spear..

"Begin where you are, but don't stay there."

SCT
                      which work was that from?

Comment

i disagree. intensity isnt as important as the TOTAL calories burned.

intensity only speeds things up.

5 mile walk = 600 cals burned ~ 2hrs
                        5 mile jog/run = 600 cals burning ~40-45 mins depending on speed

light to moderate will also catabolize less muscle tissue

however, i like to train intensley, but we are not the average american just trying to look good and be healthy

for me its function function function
                        Last edited by jaymdubbs; 07-24-2006, 09:04 AM.

Comment

in regards to helping your friend out, i would suggest WALKING or some other cardio activity more often than 3 times a week. id say 7, but ill be realistic and say at least 4 - 5 times a week.

easy suggestion - aim for at least 2 miles a day. this is easier for people just beginning to work out.

the resistance training im sure you got covered.

nutrition- listen to what SCT said hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by asianbabe
                            which work was that from?
                            I can't be bothered remembering such trivial things such as the 'where'.. hehe.

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
                            i disagree. intensity isnt as important as the TOTAL calories burned.

intensity only speeds things up.
                            I agree to a point. Intensity, especially with H.I.I.T, effects the body LONG after the initial cardio. The calories burned DURING cardio is just a small portion of the larger cardio picture.

That being said, I think that 'walking' is fine. However, I personally prefer something a bit more intense.

SCT
                            Back to the basics!

Comment

I can't be bothered remembering such trivial things such as the 'where'.. hehe.

I agree to a point. Intensity, especially with H.I.I.T, effects the body LONG after the initial cardio. The calories burned DURING cardio is just a small portion of the larger cardio picture.

That being said, I think that 'walking' is fine. However, I personally prefer something a bit more intense.

SCT

agreed. i was just pointing out the fact of calories burned. the intensity of workouts are more geared toward more advanced exercisers. for people just starting to workout, getting them into good habits can be tough.

the hiit keeps your metabolism pumping a while after cardio, this is true. the age old saying of "anything thing is better than nothing" can be applied here.

SCT is very wise, like buddha . hahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X