Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick, stop weightlifting, Now Deadly According to Doctors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick, stop weightlifting, Now Deadly According to Doctors...

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles...e_id=218392825
    Scientists are calling for widespread heart screening of people before they begin weight training. That's based on new evidence that lifting more than half your body weight could put you at risk of sudden death, as this ScienCentral News video explains.

Strong Evidence
    "They wanted let me go home ... They gave me the option to stay but said 99 percent I'd be fine to go home ... They wanted me to come back the following day for a stress test," Bill Linski recalls. He was only 21 years old and in great shape from his 6-day-a-week gym workouts when intense chest pains sent him to his local hospital emergency room. Luckily, he let his mom decide. She thought he should stay.
    It turned out that pumping iron earlier that day had pumped up Linski's blood pressure, which caused a tear in his aorta, the heart's main artery. He was airlifted to Yale New Haven Hospital where surgeon John Elefteriades performed lifesaving surgery.
    Sadly, Elefteriades says similar scenarios all too often end in the death of a healthy young man. "A problem and a tragedy arises in the fact that it's uncommon for physicians to think of an internal tear of the aorta in healthy young athletes," Elefteriades says.
    In 2003, he and his team wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association that they'd noticed a pattern: five young patients, including Linski, with torn aortas following heavy lifting. All had a previously undetected aneurysm, or enlargement of the aorta.

Now, they report even stronger evidence of this association in the journal Cardiology, where they've documented that link in 31 patients.
    "Of the 31 patients," says Elefteriades, "10 of them are dead."

He's grateful to family members who contacted him and allowed him to investigate the deaths of their loved ones. "Through the generosity of families who shared their stories with me ... I've heard the most tear-wrenching accounts," he says.His team's new recommendations are based solely on trying to prevent such terrible losses, he says. "For heavy strength training involving weight lifting or similar activities like pushups, we're recommending screening for unknown or undetected aortic aneurysm."

Elefteriades says that includes people who do heavy lifting on the job, and that the team defines heavy lifting as more than half your body weight.
    The screening test they recommend is a heart echo exam, technically called transthoracic echocardiography, also commonly called a heart ultrasound. It's "a very simple test which is painless, it's fun to have and relatively inexpensive," he says.
    "I recognize that there are serious social and especially economic implications of making such a recommendation, and that depends on other aspects of our healthcare system whether the echo can be made generally available and whether echo exams can be paid for," says Elefteriades. "The alternative is to accept that every year we will lose some young athletes because of unknown enlargement of their aorta."

Aneurysms: An Inherited Risk
    Elefteriades and his colleagues say aneurysms kill more Americans than AIDS largely because they go undetected and undiagnosed until a catastrophic tear occurs. Detecting them means patients can have preventive surgery before it's too late. Their ongoing research has uncovered a big clue to detecting them -- they tend to run in families.

The authors say that intense aerobic activity such as playing tennis or racquetball can also put stress on an enlarged aorta, but the biggest risk is strenuous lifting because it produces such big rises in blood pressure. While normal blood pressure is around 120 over 80, when the team measured their own blood pressure as they were lifting weights, "We were able to find blood pressure can go up as high as 300, 320, 330 millimeters of mercury," says Elefteriades. "That's much higher than we find in any type of natural disease state." If the activity does not involve lifting "more than about half of your body weight in a leg press or a bench press or other similar activity, you will not see these astronomical rises in blood pressure," he adds.Elefteriades, who enjoys weightlifting, notes that he and his team strongly encourage weight training to maintain muscle mass and bone health. "The only proviso is that we recommend that you check your aorta by ultrasound to be sure it's not enlarged, so you can safely engage in the wonderful and important weightlifting activity," he says.

With his aorta repaired, Linski, now 28, can lift with no fear. "I went back to the gym six weeks and one day after surgery," he says. But it took him nearly four years to get back into shape. Under his doctors' guidance, he had to start out with five-pound dumbbells.

"It was painful in my sternum," he says. "Almost two and a half years I couldn't do much with my sternum because of the pulling and it just ached and it hurt and it took me a while to work through that."
    It was also psychologically traumatic. Although his father died of a heart attack at 37 when Linksi was only eight, he never thought he could be struck down so young. Instead he had focused on exercise and health, and began bodybuilding at age 16. So when people at the gym would ask if he had had a heart attack, and mention the link of heart problems with steroid use, it bothered him a lot. "Why would I ever want to put something, with the history in my family and as I promote health, something that was foreign in my body, that would have any kind of adverse effect?" he asks.
    Now looking forward to experiencing fatherhood, Linski hopes Elefteriades's research will spare others. "If I can say anything," he says, "I'm just extremely blessed and thank God every night."
    Elefteriades' research was published in Cardiology online on July 14, 2006. His work was funded by Yale-New Haven Hospital, the Berkus Fund, and the Fariola Fund.

What a crock of shit

Dewd, that’s a like a third of all their nuckas that’s deaadd!!!!!!11!1

I’m quitting bodybuilding. Controlled Labs can kiss my . hrmph!!

Comment

Originally posted by browndustin
      I’m quitting bodybuilding. Controlled Labs can kiss my . hrmph!!

ddawg would be happy to
      www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
        ddawg would be happy to
        Oh hell no!!!

Comment

Actually Coach X over at elitefts recently said that he has read some studies that say hypertrophy work too early in life may lead to enlarging of a part of the heart, which in turn leads to stroke and heart attack etc. (I now see that the article kinda says this) So maybe some of the athletes dropping dead from these things are from that and not all these other things the media automatically attribute those deaths too.
          Last edited by ozcoltsfan; 07-19-2006, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ozcoltsfan
            Actually Coach X over at elitefts recently said that he has read some studies that say hypertrophy work too early in life may lead to enlarging of a part of the heart, which in turn leads to stroke and heart attack etc. (I now see that the article kinda says this) So maybe some of the athletes dropping dead from these things are from that and not all these other things the media automatically attribute those deaths too.
            So Bring back my Ephedra

Comment

So once again scientists have discovered what farmers and ranchers have known for generations. Humans and horses aren't all that disimilar, and anybody who knows horses knows that if you work a horse when they are too young that horse will have problems early in life. You never break a horse before they are 2 yrs old unless you want it to have bad knees. You don't lunge a horse until they are around 18 months, and you don't put a harness on a work horse until they are strong enough to handle the load.

But high school track coaches will take a 14 year old kid and have him running sprints 6 days a week. The wrestling coach will have a kid who should be growing go on a strict diet to make a lower weight class, and the football coach will have kids who aren't even old enough to drive trying to push a sled across the field.

Good hell, common sense should tell people that the body needs to be mature before excessive strains should be placed upon it. That's not to say that excercise is a bad thing for youth, but people tend to over do it.

Comment

Working...
              X