• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit and fiber the key to weight management: study

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060718/...fruit_fiber_dc

Fruit and fiber the key to weight management: study

Tue Jul 18, 1:23 PM ET

By studying the diets of 52 normal-weight adults and 52 overweight or obese adults, researchers found that normal-weight adults ate more fiber and fruit each day than their overweight and obese counterparts.

"These findings suggest that the composition of a diet, especially low dietary fiber and fruit intake, play a role in the (development) of obesity," concludes the study team in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

For all study subjects, Dr. Jaimie N. Davis of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles and colleagues determined the dietary amount of 60 food items using a food frequency questionnaire, assessed physical activity levels and determined percent body fat. All of the subjects were about the same age and height.

Davis' group found marked differences in the dietary habits of the two groups. The overweight and obese subjects consumed more total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, and less carbohydrate, specifically dietary fiber and complex carbohydrate, than normal weight subjects.

The differences in diet composition "may have played a vital role in promoting or preventing obesity," they write.

Normal-weight adults consumed an average of 33 percent more dietary fiber and 43 percent more complex carbohydrates daily than their overweight and obese counterparts. Dietary fiber and complex carbohydrate intake were inversely related to body weight and "most strongly" to percent body fat.

Compared with normal-weight subjects, overweight and obese subjects consumed about one less fruit serving daily, which may partly explain their lower fiber and carbohydrate intake.

There are several mechanisms by which dietary fiber may reduce the risk of weight gain or obesity. Dietary fiber, for example, slows digestion, prolonging that "full" feeling and foods high in fiber are usually low in fat and calories.

"The public is still attracted to popular weight-loss strategies that emphasize decreasing carbohydrate and increasing fat and protein," the study team notes in their report.

"Although there is evidence that high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets produce substantial weight loss in the short-term, to date there are no long-term studies that examine the effects of these regimens."

While there is no magic formula for weight loss, in the current study, "dietary fiber, complex carbohydrates and fruit were associated with lower body fat stores in adults," Davis told Reuters Health. "These results suggest that increasing dietary fiber, complex carbohydrates and fruit in an individual's diet should be an important part of dietary interventions," the researcher concluded.

SOURCE: Journal of the American Dietetic Association, June 2006.
    REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
    Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
    Purple Psyko
    Gold Feast
    Blue Gene
    Blue Growth
    REDuction AM/PM Shots
    REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
    Orange TRIad
    White Flood (5 Flavors)
    Black Hole
    Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
    Green Bulge
    White Blood 2
    Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
    Blue Up
    Blue Up (Stim-Free)
    GlycerGrow (Elements line)
    CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
    Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

hmmm... I see a few weaknesses in this article..

Headline - fruit and fibre... the main body talks mostly about fibre and complex carbs..

No mention of overall caloric intake... how can they just pinpoint - overweight people had one less serving of fruit, therefore fruit is good...

Flaming high protein diets for inconclusive evidence about long term weight loss, meanwhile, this study is only "suggestive" of its findings

On a lighter note though, I love fruit veggies and fibre... I'm getting 40-50g fibre a day.. what do you guys get?

Comment

Originally posted by asianbabe

Headline - fruit and fibre... the main body talks mostly about fibre and complex carbs..

No mention of overall caloric intake... how can they just pinpoint - overweight people had one less serving of fruit, therefore fruit is good...

Flaming high protein diets for inconclusive evidence about long term weight loss, meanwhile, this study is only "suggestive" of its findings

On a lighter note though, I love fruit veggies and fibre... I'm getting 40-50g fibre a day.. what do you guys get?
      I agree with you, but think fiber is good in moderation, again too much and it may interfere with some processing of foods potentially (at least that is my theory).
      REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
      Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
      Purple Psyko
      Gold Feast
      Blue Gene
      Blue Growth
      REDuction AM/PM Shots
      REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
      Orange TRIad
      White Flood (5 Flavors)
      Black Hole
      Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
      Green Bulge
      White Blood 2
      Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
      Blue Up
      Blue Up (Stim-Free)
      GlycerGrow (Elements line)
      CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
      Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

i could have said DUH to this study lol

Comment

awwwww you sound like a cute librarian when you start breaking things down and analyzing them

www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Around 12g of fiber right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
              awwwww you sound like a cute librarian when you start breaking things down and analyzing them

hmmm.. umm thanks..?! I like to think theres a small brain behind the looks

Comment

hmmm.. umm thanks..?! I like to think theres a small brain behind the looks

i'd take you to the nearest janitorial closet and .......
                www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

HMF! I aint scared of ya! ><

Comment

Working...
                  X