Alternative to Cardio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Cardio

I have read a bit that some guys dont like doing cardio on the treadmill or the bike or whatever.

Something I like to do for active recovery is from the Charlie Francis Training System (he's a speed coach), which is tempo runs and high rep ab work.

So an example of a typical day may look like this:
    100-200 yards running at 75% intensity
    And in between each run, you could do say 35 crunches or reverse crunches or leg raises etc.
    Then rest 60-90 seconds, and do it again, and repeat say 6-12 times depending on the distance you are running.

Do you guys think this could be a good method for a bodybuilder and a good alternative to being on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a time?

I don't know the science behind that, but I think as long as your heart rate is kept up, intensity is high, it should be good!?!

Just a thought though, would you feel dizzy sprinting and then immediately lying on the ground doing crunches?

This is what I used to do in my backyard..

Skipping fast 1 minute
    Jog up and down driveway
    20 pushups
    ...Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by ozcoltsfan
      I have read a bit that some guys dont like doing cardio on the treadmill or the bike or whatever.

Something I like to do for active recovery is from the Charlie Francis Training System (he's a speed coach), which is tempo runs and high rep ab work.

So an example of a typical day may look like this:
      100-200 yards running at 75% intensity
      And in between each run, you could do say 35 crunches or reverse crunches or leg raises etc.
      Then rest 60-90 seconds, and do it again, and repeat say 6-12 times depending on the distance you are running.

Do you guys think this could be a good method for a bodybuilder and a good alternative to being on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a time?

This reminds me a lot of Mike Mahler's road work cardio. I personally think that this would be an effective method if you want to reduce cardio time, but still subpar to Tabata Intervals.

Typical Tabata Interval:

20 seconds FULL sprint
      10 seconds dead stop

Repeat 8 times (total 4 minutes)

Cheers,
      sCT
      Back to the basics!

Comment

Working...
      X