Important tips for cutting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important tips for cutting...

Here are a few things I've found very helpful while in a caloric deficit...

- Bananas/apples and natural peanut butter are the ultimate snack during the day if you're feeling hungry between meals. 1 medium sized banana or apple is about 70 calories and a tablespoon of peanut butter is 100. Even if you suck at measuring, you're still probably getting 200 calories max with plenty of valuable nutrients such as NATURAL sugars, fiber, EFA's, and vitamins and minerals.

- Non-fat cottage cheese and natural peanut butter is the ultimate snack at night. I eat a 1/2 cup CC and 1 tablespoon of natty PB before bed to a) keep me from waking up in the middle of the night and eating something crappy because I'm half asleep and b) keep my body in an anabolic state through the night with the slower release of amino acids from casein protein and good fats to fuel it. This combo is also about 200 calories so it's easy to fit into any diet.

- You don't NEED to change your weight training to cut. It's not necessary to do higher reps and lower weight like many believe. I prefer to keep my weight training the same... lift the same weights for the same rep ranges and see if you can still make gains in terms of strength. This will not only keep you moving forward or at least retain strength on more restrictive cuts, but it can also help you gauge whether you're still eating enough and eating right still for energy and recovery. If your lifts start to really decline, take a look at your breakfast, pre-workout, and post-workout nutrition first and go from there. You'd be surprised what even 100 calories re-allocated from another meal for extra protein and carbohydrates in one of those meals can do!
    Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
    Couples who squat together stay together.

Lots of protein.

Healthy carbs

Healthy Fats

Comment

While I agree with superhombre2k, for all you potential cutters out there, it is a matter of examining your diet in the aggregate, too.

- Figure out your maintenance cals using one of the countless calculators on the internet

- Decrease that number by 10%

- Shoot for a 35%/45%/20% macro breakdown in your diet.

- Go to fitday.com and input your diet so as to tweak it to fit the appropriate cals/macro breakdown

- Diet is the key, followed by training and then supps... do not forget the order.

Remember, cutting is hard for most people, but stick with it and you will reach your goals. Do not do anything drastic like replace all your meals with shakes... your body needs fuel to burn that fat.

Comment

Originally posted by RB12
        While I agree with superhombre2k, for all you potential cutters out there, it is a matter of examining your diet in the aggregate, too.

- Figure out your maintenance cals using one of the countless calculators on the internet

- Decrease that number by 10%

- Shoot for a 35%/45%/20% macro breakdown in your diet.

- Go to fitday.com and input your diet so as to tweak it to fit the appropriate cals/macro breakdown

- Diet is the key, followed by training and then supps... do not forget the order.

Remember, cutting is hard for most people, but stick with it and you will reach your goals. Do not do anything drastic like replace all your meals with shakes... your body needs fuel to burn that fat.

I agree with all of the previously presented points, but it should also be noted that dieting (like everything else) is not 'one-sized fits all'

The basic guidelines relating to BMR or caloric intake in general give a good 'starting' point, but your metabolism is not guaranteed to be on par with those #s. It is by trial and error that we find the right caloric figures.

As far as macronutrient breakdowns, I personally am a 50/30/20 breakdown. 50% coming from protein (lean meats/chicken/tuna/whey/casein), 30% from carbs (whole grain breads, oats, brown rice), and 20% from fats (lean meats/EFAs/whole eggs). But macronutrient breakdowns are a 2nd or 3rd step in the dieting process. Step 1 is to learn to eat health foods, Step 2 is to find the right calorie range, Step 3 is to research and implement proper pre/during/post workout nutrition. Step 4 is to tweak macro breakdowns, Step 5 is to start implementing caloric or carb cycling..

As you can see it can get complicated! However, the old saying 'calories in vs calories out' still holds true for weight loss.

Josh
        Back to the basics!

Comment

Working...
        X