Diet or Bulk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet or Bulk?

Would you recomend dieting or bulking up at 17% BF at 205?

Originally posted by LancerV
    Would you recomend dieting or bulking up at 17% BF at 205?
    It is hard to give a clear cut 'bulk or cut' answer without knowing more information. I personally think that bulking at 17% is fine, but it would have to be a cleaner bulk. If it were me I'd clean bulk to a bit above your goal weight, and then focus on cutting bodyfat.

Hope that helps,

SCT
    Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
      It is hard to give a clear cut 'bulk or cut' answer without knowing more information. I personally think that bulking at 17% is fine, but it would have to be a cleaner bulk. If it were me I'd clean bulk to a bit above your goal weight, and then focus on cutting bodyfat.

Hope that helps,

SCT
      The thing is I have no base really, 325 Dead, 280ish Hack Squat, and my bench of a thirteen year old girl.

I started out at an obese 260lbs and a 44" waist, now down to skinny fat 205 34" Waist.

Ive only been working out for like 8months, and would like to get maybe a 405 Dead, 385 Hack Squat, and 225 Bench, and I know that gaining muscle while dieting is really hard

Comment

The thing is I have no base really, 325 Dead, 280ish Hack Squat, and my bench of a thirteen year old girl.

I started out at an obese 260lbs and a 44" waist, now down to skinny fat 205 34" Waist.

Ive only been working out for like 8months, and would like to get maybe a 405 Dead, 385 Hack Squat, and 225 Bench, and I know that gaining muscle while dieting is really hard
        Aside from the newbie gains I'm sure you've already exceeded, gaining muscle while operating in a caloric deficit is not feasible. Unless you are a genetic freak, you'd be fighting a losing battle. If your goal is size/strength right now, then try bulking for a bit. Doing so will also help fill in some of that 'skinny fat' that you have.

Remember though that size does not equal strength. Choosing a proper routine while operating in a caloric surplus will get you to your goals, and then you can focus on getting ripped up.

For more advice on training routines, you should hit up Mr. Aries Playground!
        Back to the basics!

Comment

Aside from the newbie gains I'm sure you've already exceeded, gaining muscle while operating in a caloric deficit is not feasible. Unless you are a genetic freak, you'd be fighting a losing battle. If your goal is size/strength right now, then try bulking for a bit. Doing so will also help fill in some of that 'skinny fat' that you have.

Remember though that size does not equal strength. Choosing a proper routine while operating in a caloric surplus will get you to your goals, and then you can focus on getting ripped up.

For more advice on training routines, you should hit up Mr. Aries Playground!
          How good is like Bill Stars routine? Except I cant do regular squats and replace them with BB Hack Squats

Monday
          Squats-5x5(Do four progressively heavier sets of 5 with the 5th set being your 5RM.)
          Deadlifts-5x5(Do the same)
          Bench Press-5x5(Do the same)
          Incline DB Press-2x12-20

Wednesday
          Light Squats or Lunges-4x8 each leg
          Good Mornings-3x8-12
          Shoulder Press-5x5 or Dips-4xmax until you get 12 each time. then add weight.
          Pullups-4xmax

Friday
          Squats-warmup to a 3 reps with 5 more lbs than you used on Monday. On the following monday use this weight for your 5th set.
          Bent Over Row-5x5
          Incline Bench-5x5
          Tricep Extensions-2x12-20

Comment

How good is like Bill Stars routine? Except I cant do regular squats and replace them with BB Hack Squats

Monday
            Squats-5x5(Do four progressively heavier sets of 5 with the 5th set being your 5RM.)
            Deadlifts-5x5(Do the same)
            Bench Press-5x5(Do the same)
            Incline DB Press-2x12-20

Wednesday
            Light Squats or Lunges-4x8 each leg
            Good Mornings-3x8-12
            Shoulder Press-5x5 or Dips-4xmax until you get 12 each time. then add weight.
            Pullups-4xmax

Friday
            Squats-warmup to a 3 reps with 5 more lbs than you used on Monday. On the following monday use this weight for your 5th set.
            Bent Over Row-5x5
            Incline Bench-5x5
            Tricep Extensions-2x12-20
            I'm personally not a big fan of Bill Starr's Routine, however I know people who have had success on it. I've always found that pre-designed routines tend to be too 'one size fits all' for my tastes, but if I had to choose one I'd go for something like Max-OT for size/strength gains.

Cheers,
            SCT
            Back to the basics!

Comment

I would say do a slight cut then recomp or c/lean bulk.

Comment

I'm personally not a big fan of Bill Starr's Routine, however I know people who have had success on it. I've always found that pre-designed routines tend to be too 'one size fits all' for my tastes, but if I had to choose one I'd go for something like Max-OT for size/strength gains.

Cheers,
                SCT
                Could I replace the Squats with like Hack Squats? Have shoulder issues and putting heavy weights on the shoulders make them hurt

Comment

Could I replace the Squats with like Hack Squats? Have shoulder issues and putting heavy weights on the shoulders make them hurt
                  With that specific routine it is typically recommended not to replace exercises. However, I know people with similar issues who use hack squats/leg press as their primary leg compound movements.
                  Back to the basics!

Comment

I also cant do weighted dips

Comment

If strength is a concern, I wouldn't cut.

Comment

focus on nutrition and clean eating. dont try to cut or bulk yet. just educate yourself on proper dieting, exercisiging, and perhaps supplementation if your interested in utilizing the full potential of sports supplements.

in doing this, you should see changes progressively towards leaning out and adding more muscle mass, than once youve reached a point where you feel confident in your knowledge of everything, change your diet/exercise/supplementation up so you are aimed at cutting or bulking.

This will help you the most, getting a good, clean diet is the hardest part of this lifestyle. and you need that weather you bulk or cut.

Comment

^^^ Agreed. If you try and focus before the dedication is there, you are almost guaranteeing failure. I would suggest keeping a log or journal (paper or electronic) in order to keep you dedicated.

Also, if you are focusing on aesthetics, you should definitely post some pics to get specific reviews as to how to proceed. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                            focus on nutrition and clean eating. dont try to cut or bulk yet. just educate yourself on proper dieting, exercisiging, and perhaps supplementation if your interested in utilizing the full potential of sports supplements.

in doing this, you should see changes progressively towards leaning out and adding more muscle mass, than once youve reached a point where you feel confident in your knowledge of everything, change your diet/exercise/supplementation up so you are aimed at cutting or bulking.

This will help you the most, getting a good, clean diet is the hardest part of this lifestyle. and you need that weather you bulk or cut.
                            Yea my diet is clean, ussually 300g of Protein, 400carbs, and 50g of Fat. So around 3200calories, and I still gain like three pounds a week this way

Comment

Yea my diet is clean, ussually 300g of Protein, 400carbs, and 50g of Fat. So around 3200calories, and I still gain like three pounds a week this way
                              Sounds like your metabolism isn't up to par persay, slowly adjust your calories weekly until you are seeing the results you are looking for. Also ensure you are getting enough water to avoid extra retention.

Back to the basics!

Comment

Working...
                              X