Stress Fracture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress Fracture?

I think I may have a stress fracture in my forearm but I am not sure. I wanted to see if any of you guys have ever had a pain like this before. It is on my left forearm on the pinky side of my forearm. It is on the side of my forearm and it is smack dab in the middle. I think it happened doing curls. I am able to work out my everything else without it giving me that much of a problem. I definitely can't do biceps right now. I have been icing it before and after I work out. It hasn't gotten any worse but it hasn't gotten any better. I know rest is probably the only answer but I would hate to stop lifting for the two weeks it would probably take to heal. Is poor form the cause of something like this or is it just over use?

I might have had something like this in my forearms before... I guess it felt like a stress fracture because I wouldn't feel it until after I finished my set on a preacher curl and put the weight down. RIGHT when the stress was removed from my arms, I would get this sharp pain in my forearms, not the good kind. I can't recall if it was in a specific spot like you mentioned.

This was like two years ago, I must admit I wasn't training with proper form and getting a little too enthusiastic with my curl weight. It was a real bitch to deal with as well because forearms are also used in many other movements, so it hampered my ability to make real progress.

I got used to everyone telling me that there should be pain, but I had no idea what "good vs bad" pain was like (note: this was when I was very new to this). So, based on that, I was like: Meh, it should probably hurt. So I dropped the weight a little and kept doing it. Haha.

I eventually figured it out and just took some time off from doing any stressful arm-specific workouts. I guess now I'm better at measuring my limits. If anything, I'd say it's overdoing it with too much weight. Improper form can probably play into it if you're forcing your arms to go down further than you're really comfortable with, such as with preacher curls. When this happened, by the way, I wasn't training my forearms. They were the "bottleneck," as it were, of how much I could curl. After I took my time off, I started training forearms heavily before returning to curls. This was my key to safer curls.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mikeyp; 06-23-2006, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyp
      I might have had something like this in my forearms before... I guess it felt like a stress fracture because I wouldn't feel it until after I finished my set on a preacher curl and put the weight down. RIGHT when the stress was removed from my arms, I would get this sharp pain in my forearms, not the good kind. I can't recall if it was in a specific spot like you mentioned.

This was like two years ago, I must admit I wasn't training with proper form and getting a little too enthusiastic with my curl weight. It was a real bitch to deal with as well because forearms are also used in many other movements, so it hampered my ability to make real progress.

I got used to everyone telling me that there should be pain, but I had no idea what "good vs bad" pain was like (note: this was when I was very new to this). So, based on that, I was like: Meh, it should probably hurt. So I dropped the weight a little and kept doing it. Haha.

I eventually figured it out and just took some time off from doing any stressful arm-specific workouts. I guess now I'm better at measuring my limits. If anything, I'd say it's overdoing it with too much weight. Improper form can probably play into it if you're forcing your arms to go down further than you're really comfortable with, such as with preacher curls. When this happened, by the way, I wasn't training my forearms. They were the "bottleneck," as it were, of how much I could curl. After I took my time off, I started training forearms heavily before returning to curls. This was my key to safer curls.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback...When I saw you screen name it was weird because my name is Mike also and my last initial is P as well. I use mikeyp a lot for screen names. What a coincidence.....Thanks again for the feedback. I am cutting out biceps from my workout for a few weeks. Hopefully this will be enough to let it heal.

Comment

Haha, what can I say... I'm terrible with original screennames.

Comment

Working...
        X