Muay Tai for cardio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muay Tai for cardio?

I didn't know where to put this, so I'm just going to Talk the Talk. I've been looking into doing some extra cardio after work during the week and was talking to some guys here at the office that do Muay Tai a few nights a week. They said I should come out and give it a shot.

Anybody here try this? Is the conditioning really that good? I'm sure jaymdubbs will have a comment or two on this.
    jdouchebag for president

hell yea you should. if its a true muay thai place ull get the workout of your life. if the place is good the workouts should be insane.

i should warn you, if ur looking to bulk, taking that class will make ur job harder because it can be pretty intense cardio.

thats why true muay thai fighters are some of the most well condition athletes in the world, they fight at the anaerobic threshold for the whole fight

no i am not a muay thai fighter, but i use their conditioning techniques
    HENCE mma
    Last edited by jaymdubbs; 06-14-2006, 08:32 PM.

Comment

yes it would be AWESOME for cardio trust me

Comment

thanks for the response guys ... i'll still be lifting 5 days a week in the morning and then I'll be doing the Muay Tai about 2 or 3 times a week in the evening ... I'm not trying to become a Muay Tai fighter or MMA, but it'll be nice to be conditioned and be able to throw some elbows if I have to ....
        jdouchebag for president

Comment

and elbows u will throw

its def. a fun way to do cardio, plus ull learn how to punch better so if u ever get in a bar fight you dont break ur wrist or knuckle

Comment

my training regiment for a competition was sick, at one point last september this was my schedule-

mon - 2 hr workout + plyo + 5 mile interval + 1-1.5 hr MMA
            Tuesday 2 hr workout + plyo + 5 mile + 2 hr BJJ
            wed - 2 hr workout + plyo + 5 mile + 1-1.5 hr MMA
            thurs 2 hr workout + 5 mile
            Fri 2hr workout + 5 mile (sometimes MMA workout)
            Sat 1 hr functional weight workout + 5 mile + 1-1.5 MMA
            Sun 1 hr functional weight workout + 5 mile + 1-1.5 MMA

yea, i was at about 160 at my peak condition (but was so drained and achy)

supplements came in HANDY, let me tell you

Comment

Definitely sounds like you put your body through some punishment. I know how much you appreciate the conditioning in the end too!! Must have felt damn good eh

I've been really interested in Muay Thai lately. Have only boxed before and put a lot of energy into that for a while. Jeet Kun Do was something I spent time reading up on as well, but Muay Thai just seems down right practical and I respect it. Any tips or places you could recommend we read up on jaymdubbs? It's just that I usually have some time to kill at work and don't know anywhere/anyone in town that practices it and can teach it.

Comment

I actually am taking JKD right now. I have been for about 2.5 years.
                The stand up class I take is a mixture of wing chun, JKD, muay thai, Kali/escrima, and boxing. as well as the BJJ.

just like how i pimp for CL, ill pimp for Jeet Kune Do

however, it really depends on what your goals are.

if your looking for a good workout, muay thai MIGHT be better
                if your looking for street self defense, JKD might be better because it incorporates aspects from the different fighting ranges (like the clinch in muay thai --using knees and elbows)

but there are two different schools of thought in JKD- theres the original approach that only teaches what bruce lee did (which pretty much is MMA)
                and then theres the concepts approach where it blends more of the kali, muay thai, silate, savate, etc (which also pretty much is MMA)

you cant go wrong with either approach, both STRESS physical conditioning and fitness.

where do you live, ill see if i can find something

EDIT: Muay Thai is practical, but so is JKD. JKD uses MT training principles (clinch work with knees and elbows) and conditioning.
                Last edited by jaymdubbs; 06-14-2006, 09:27 PM.

Comment

have you been in many mma fights? wins/losses?

Comment

ive had exhibition fights , but not amateur (i was about to but then got pulled out ebcause i had a disagreement with a promoter - he has in hands in promotions all over ohio, so im pretty much screwed in ohio)

i won a kickboxing championship and a tournament style 2nd place before

soooooo im like 6-1 in fights (mma and non MMA)

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs
                      ive had exhibition fights , but not amateur (i was about to but then got pulled out ebcause i had a disagreement with a promoter - he has in hands in promotions all over ohio, so im pretty much screwed in ohio)

one of the places I'm looking at now is called Prodigy Martial Arts ... they sponsor a competition here in VA called Combat Sports 2000 ... maybe you can look into contacting them if you're still interested in an amateur fight ...

www.prodigymartialarts.com <-- site needs to be updated
                      jdouchebag for president

Comment

From what I understand about the newer school of JKD teaching, it does deviate away from what Bruce had wanted to strive for.. and that’s training that’s not constricted by forms and has functional training, just like Muay Thai does. I had questioned why in Karate we spent so much time with our fists at our sides in a horse stance, throwing wussy punches all day and not getting down to business.. I was in elementary school, but even I could identify that this wasn’t what I had expected. Reading and watching what Bruce Lee had to say about this was just comical. That’s why I like JKD and hope to get into Muay Thai as well

Would you mind if I sent you a PM later? I wouldn’t mind learning more from you because it sounds like you know this stuff like the back of your hand. I’m a sponge, dude. And impressed with your MMA record. Stay safe and kick ass.

Comment

i could spend days discussing and dissecting JKD and the two different approaches to it. however , i will correct you on this tho ---

while it appears that the newer approach (JKD concepts) deviates from what Bruce was striving for, this isnt the case. Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do was Bruce Lee's very personal martial art. the Concepts approach came as a result of one of his lead students, Dan Inosanto, taking the principles of JKD and applying to the individual. so dan's student learn their own martial art by whittling away the unessentials and making different martial arts work for them and them alone. I am not 100 correct in saying this but this is the easiest way to explain it without a 25 page thesis lol

no approach is right or wrong. they are both needed to understand the entire equation that is JKD.

thats why i say screw the political bullshit and just train.

Comment

Originally posted by jaymdubbs

theres a "full contact" mma fight in auburn indiana every year in the middle of june

im thinking about entering it next year.....

btw, is that u in ur avator

Comment

yupp thats me in the avatar

i still might have a chance in ohio, i have to figure it out still

Comment

Working...
                              X