• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben isn't made of STEEL

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/9493892

Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (June 12, 2006) -- Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash in which he was not wearing a helmet.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition later in the afternoon, Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital said before surgery.

Ben Roethlisberger has reveled in his rebellious, motorcycle image.
    The player's agent, Leigh Steinberg, described the injuries to The Associated Press and said he did not know if there was further damage.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

Roethlisberger's mother, Brenda, was crying as she arrived at the hospital.

Steelers president Art Rooney II said the team was "encouraged by the early reports from the medical team" at the hospital. "I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery."

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger was without a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

Roethlisberger was on his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa -- the company calls it the world's fastest bike for legal street riding -- and headed toward an intersection on the edge of downtown. A silver Chrysler New Yorker traveling in the opposite direction took a left turn and collided with the motorcycle, and Roethlisberger was thrown, police said.

The other car was driven by a 62-year-old woman, police said. They didn't immediately release her name and no charges were filed.

Witness Sandra Ford was waiting at a bus stop when she said she saw the motorcycle approach. Seconds later, she said she heard a crash, saw the motorcyclist in the air and ran toward the crash scene.

"He wasn't moving and I was afraid that he had died. ... He wasn't really speaking. He seemed dazed but he was resisting the effort to make him stay down," said Ford, who didn't realize the motorcyclist was Roethlisberger.

Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were leading the investigation, a standard practice when there is an accident with critical injuries.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl title in February at age 23. Training camp for next season begins at the end of July.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment.

Some fans also gathered at the hospital, including Juanita Clark, who sells Steelers paraphernalia.

"I just feel like he's a family member," said her daughter, Loretta Clark.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

horrible news for steeler fans, and football in general.. big ben was a hell of a QB!

That sucks for anyone to rack up on a bike. My bud did so and didn't make it.
    This dudes lucky to be alive, all the best Ben!

Comment

dammit and I really wanted to get me a white limited edition hyabusa this summer too!!!!!!

tank, can I get one?
      www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Anyone here ride motorcycles? I am going to get my liscence next month...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
          dammit and I really wanted to get me a white limited edition hyabusa this summer too!!!!!!

tank, can I get one?
          You cna have mine, I'm getting a new one!!! When is mine coming in Tank?

Comment

tank, can I get one?
            Wow that would be one sweet ride!
            -Supplement Addict-

"You're going to tell me what I want to know, it's just a just a matter of how much you want it to hurt."
            -Jack Bauer

Comment

i believe it's 12000 bucks.. not too bad at all
              www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

i believe it's 12000 bucks.. not too bad at all
                Cool, do you have a motorcycle drivers license, I've been wanting to get one but classes always fill up so damn fast.
                -Supplement Addict-

"You're going to tell me what I want to know, it's just a just a matter of how much you want it to hurt."
                -Jack Bauer

Comment

Originally posted by storm shadow
                  Cool, do you have a motorcycle drivers license, I've been wanting to get one but classes always fill up so damn fast.

no.. because my mom threatened to kill me
                  www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

no.. because my mom threatened to kill me

What mommy doesn't know doesn't affect her decisions to murder her own son.
                    -Supplement Addict-

-Jack Bauer

Comment

actually i'm kinda worried about me zipping around on a 1300 cc jap crotch rocket
                      www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

actually i'm kinda worried about me zipping around on a 1300 cc jap crotch rocket
                        Your worried, ha, that mutant body of yours will protect you from any fall.

No but seriously they have those special patted jackets for falls and of coarse wear a freaking helmet, both of which look cool. And don't forget, da ladies love guys on bikes.
                        -Supplement Addict-

-Jack Bauer

Comment

Originally posted by storm shadow
                          Your worried, ha, that mutant body of yours will protect you from any fall.

No but seriously they have those special patted jackets for falls and of coarse wear a freaking helmet, both of which look cool. And don't forget, da ladies love guys on bikes.

damn you man... stop F***ing tempting me.. I'm very tempted now!!!!!

that white hyabusa looks like heaven!
                          www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

damn you man... stop F***ing tempting me.. I'm very tempted now!!!!!

that white hyabusa looks like heaven!
                            LOL, OK last tempting thought I swear. Imagine yourself on a bike crusing the streets of Dallas (sunset in the background) with none other than Booty (or a hot lookalike) riding on it with you, holding you very very tightly

I want one too.
                            -Supplement Addict-

-Jack Bauer

Comment

It's so dreamy

-Supplement Addict-

-Jack Bauer

Comment

Working...
                              X