I have a few questions about diet, and pre and post strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a few questions about diet, and pre and post strategy

This might get long, but stick with me...I want to be as thorough as I can incase anyone has any comments.

Quick background info:
    I started lifting last November in hopes of making lifestyle change. I started at 265lbs and by cleaning up my diet a bit and hitting the gym 5 days a week I'm down to 220lbs and have still made good strength gains. The first 7 months I just tried to cut fast food out completely, and started cooking all my own stuff. Then about 4 months ago I started tracking everything that I eat.
    Right around the end of May/beginning of June I started on a CKD and have gone from 235 to 220. I'm completely happy with where I am and what I've done, but it's time for a change again.

I'm going to stop the CKD and try to get along the lines of a 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat diet and continue my gym program the way it is.
    I used the handy little excel sheet that pu12en12g linked here and found my BMR to be 2150 calories, my calorie requirement based on activity to be around 3300 calories, and my cut calories to be between 2200 and 2650.
    So I'm figuring to shoot for 2500 per day, which would drop to probably around 2200 per day on off days.
    Goal here is to get to between 190-200lbs and I'm not really putting a restiction on time. I just want to take it nice, slow, and easy.

Breakfast will be a SAN Infusion MRP (big fan!) with a 1/2 cup of oats.
    Morning snack will end up being some beef jerky or some CarbMaster yogurt.
    Lunch will vary depending on what dinner will be, but I'm going to try and shoot for 40g carbs and 40g of protein for each.
    Afternoon snack works out to be some kind of protein bar, which will be nice and convenient.

Then I get to pre and post (since gym time is around 6pm) nutrition and my questions...
    I was looking at the same thread mentioned earlier and found a link regarding pre, during, and post nutrition. This tells me that I should be shooting for around 50g of carbs and protein 60-90 pre, and then 100g carbs and 50g protein post! I'm thinking that is going to be tough to get while on a cut.
    Here are my thoughts: I have a 40 minute commute from work to home, then another 10 to the gym. If I took about 30g carbs and 50g protein around 1.5 hours pre, then my GM about 60 pre as I'm walking out the door from work would that be ok?
    Then WF about 20 pre with 25g of carbs as I'm headed out the door from home to the gym?
    In this 90 minute stretch that I have pre, how can I maximize, yet minimize, my carbs?

During I drink lots of water and about a scoop and a half of PW, with the other 1/2 scoop actually being mixed in with my WF.

Then post would I be ok with around 50g of carbs and 50g of protein?
    Then dinner a half hour to hour later?
    Or should I cut the post shake to 25/25 and make up the differnce with solid food with dinner?

With all these carbs later in the day, should I try and keep dinner as low carb as I can and then add the carbs to my pre?

I know this is lots to digest (no pun intended) but I'm going to start this next monday and would like to get it at least partially figured out before I even start.
    And if it makes it easier I can list out the meal times and protein and carb consumption that I have figured for each and see what you guys think.
    Last edited by SICK WS 6; 07-23-2007, 01:48 PM.

Originally posted by SICK WS 6
    I'm going to stop the CKD and try to get along the lines of a 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat diet and continue my gym program the way it is.....

In this 90 minute stretch that I have pre, how can I maximize, yet minimize, my carbs?

With all these carbs later in the day, should I try and keep dinner as low carb as I can and then add the carbs to my pre?
    Excellent questions, and based on the above highlights, I'm thinking that TKD (not CKD) might be perfect for you. By all means, please do a journal of your progress so we can chime in / learn from your experience.

Last edited by pu12en12g; 08-17-2007, 06:52 AM.

Comment

I was thinking of going back to a ketogenic diet in Sept and Oct, maybe I'll give a TKD a shot this time.
      25-50 pre and then stay as low as I can, and 7 days a week? Wow. Where's the pizza?

I think what I was most after was trying to find out how critical the 50c/50p pre and 100c/50p post was, as those 1000 calories don't leave me much for the rest of the day when I'm on a cut and trying to limit myself to 2500 or so a day. So I've just been doing a solid meal of 30/30 an hour and a half or pre, and then a 50c/25p shake immediately post.

Comment

Originally posted by SICK WS 6
        I was thinking of going back to a ketogenic diet in Sept and Oct, maybe I'll give a TKD a shot this time.
        25-50 pre and then stay as low as I can, and 7 days a week? Wow. Where's the pizza?

I think what I was most after was trying to find out how critical the 50c/50p pre and 100c/50p post was, as those 1000 calories don't leave me much for the rest of the day when I'm on a cut and trying to limit myself to 2500 or so a day. So I've just been doing a solid meal of 30/30 an hour and a half or pre, and then a 50c/25p shake immediately post.
        Post = pretty critical... but WRAATH will certainly help as well.

Comment

Working...
        X