Correlations: Mind over matter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correlations: Mind over matter??

I've been thinking a lot lately about..well myself mostly to be perfectly honest ( and I mean that in a humble way if possible, there has been no mirror or flexing involved with these deep thoughts)

My thoughts as of late have been swirling around the correlation between mass, size, and strength. Most likely the answers I seek are already out there floating around cyberspace, but there is far too many articles out there for me to feel like shifting through them all, and so I post my thoughts here in hopes that perhaps someone else is more educated on the matter.

If you take 2 people of the same body fat, height, and weight - theres a good chance they also have a similar level of strength.....but this isn't always so. I typically find this pertaining a lot to myself as a 5"10ish 160 pound male. The typical skinny, soccer player or even guys who have never seen the inside of a gym can achieve those 2 stats, and even maintain a body fat % that is similar to my own. So why is it that I may be able to take any given lift and throw up an extra say...100-200 pounds? Is my lean muscle better than this other persons? What causes this difference? Is it merely a matter of....hereditary genes?

Or lets take one of my personal favorite role-models Bruce Lee. Bruce at a 140 pound body was stronger than people more than twice his size, some of these "people" do include body-builders and people that trained hard and consistently.

I think most of you can get an idea where I'm going with this, so whats the "big" deal? Why can two people share similar status in fat %, weight, and height and be on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as strength is concerned?

bone structure? or bone density?

how many certain fibers are in the persons body?

certain strengths that they are born with? ( example i had horrible upper body strength by fact. when i was small but i have now built it up to be very strong )

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas68
      bone structure? or bone density?

how many certain fibers are in the persons body?

certain strengths that they are born with? ( example i had horrible upper body strength by fact. when i was small but i have now built it up to be very strong )
      Different type of traninig also, maybe they are doing mostly speed work because they are sprinters or something else along thosse lines.

Comment

Genetics (which includes muscle fiber type)

Originally posted by pu12en12g
        Genetics play a huge role IMO... examples are all around us.

Some genetic limitations can also be overcome IMO

Muscle, Genes, And Athletic Performance:
        http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=579003

http://www.controlledlabs.com/forum/...read.php?t=192

Comment

I think that there's a ton of factors like the ones mentioned, especially muscle fibers and the mind. I know a lot of sloppy kids who should be able to lift a house but can't. A few months into training with some dedication and boom "newb gains".

If you know how to lift and recruit the existing muscle fibers to their full potential, you can be destruction waiting to happen.

Bruce Lee is a great example. I love hearing every word that came out of that guy's mouth, no matter how outdated some of this theories were. I can agree that a whole ton of your output is correlated directly with your mind.

Then again, I'm not saying that if my will is strong enough that I could potentially bump my bench up to 300lbs. I can understand what you're saying though.

A lot of this probably has to do with biology... genes especially, but I have absolutely no doubt that the psyche plays a huge part in this. I used to be a pretty avid psychonaught and explored the depths of my mind for years. Meditated, tinkered with psychedelics and performed my own mental excersizes... although I personally feel as if my mind's something I understand more than lots of other stupid people (not so many intelligent people anymore...) I still know that there's a LOT that I'm still missing out on. So little is known about our minds. It would take eons to map things out accurately.

I suppose that we'll keep on guessing how much of a role the mind plays. Arnold and a lot of other guys recognized that mind over matter plays a huge role in lifting.

Comment

correlation does not equal causation.

theres no many factors to determine size/strength/mass its rediculuous!

i mean heres a few i can just take from the top of my head:

genetics

current diet
            longterm diet

training exerpeince
            current trianing regime

current stress levels
            long term stress levels

muscle fiber size
            muscle fiber amount

personal dedication/desire/drive/motivation/focus etc

and im sure theres alot more i cant even fathom

Comment

prenatal nutrition has a large impact on various areas of life as well..!!! something we have no control over.

Comment

My momma was 16 and anorexic when she had me... she was about 60lbs, jumped up to 160lbs and gave birth to me at 6lbs.

Hope psylocibin mushrooms and ozzy concerns are a good prenatal activities lmao

I like the cut of your jib though, jrditto. I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Comment

i did a presentation on the specifics of prenatal-infantile protein/carb consumption with regards to a study in the book for my child development class this spring. i dont know if i have the slide show/info from it .. pretty sure my notebooks in my apt at school..but ill look for the slideshow.. i might of saved it on my comp.. cant remember if i did or the kid working with me did

thanks for the kind words, im a psych major so i dig the mind and all that related to it... though there is no job outlook/money in the field unless i get a masters/doctrine, i really love it.. classes are super easy, and always interesting... plus i dont see anything else that can be more important in life.. sure biologys good, math is useful, accountings great, and business is awsome, but hey, who doesnt use their brain on a daily basis?! let alone every nano-second of existance! heck, your brain even functions when your asleep; i'd like to see you be able to do business/math stuff when your asleep!

Comment

Never knew that you had such an appreciation for the mind. That's cool to know. I never actually went to college or anything because like you said, there's just no money to be had in that field really. But it's something you can learn about, use and appreciate in every day life.

Comment

yeah... my fav course so far is easily psychology of women

it was a ton of feminist biatches basically.. and 2 other guys (1 was very metro or homo... i didnt want to know which) the prof was a male tho so that was helpful, i think he hooked me up on alot of my papers where i bashed the books biasness but yea, i've learned alot about women, and some i prolly didnt want to learn, others i learned and molded into things which the book/prof wouldnt of suspected, ie. how to 'manpiulate' a females biological aspects of attraction and social/psychological insecurities to raise my status in their eyes.. lol

Comment

Psychology of women, eh?

As far as understanding women is concerned, man... I don't know where to begin. I'm thankful for the way my momma raised me though. I know to approach woman with caution, respect and a keen eye for the most part. No two women are exactly the same, similar, but they'll always keep one guessing.

If I was a dirty person, I'd be the biggest man whore. Instead I like to find one decent girl and lavish her with the respect that most guys just can't deliver. I'm not a romeo, just a realist. I don't know why a lot of guys just suck when it comes to relationships with women. I feel sorry for the poor bastards. You're really lucky that your prof was a dude!! I'm sure you picked up a ton of useful skills in that class though. Makes me want to consider taking some psych classes if and when I head back to school. It's hard to just drop the idea..

Comment

Working...
                        X