Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Incorporate 20 Rep Squats....

Can I Incorporate 20 Rep Squats....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Into my routine? Heres my current routine:

Monday:

Squat 3x8
    Dumbell Bench 3x8
    Barbell Row 3x8
    Barbell Curl 2x8
    Pullups 2xFailure

Wednesday:

Deadlift 3x8
    Military Press 3x8
    Lateral raises 3x8
    Flyes 3x8

Friday:

Squat 3x8
    Dumbell Bench 3x8
    Barbell Row 3x8
    Lying Tricep Ext. 2x8
    Pullups 2xFailure
    + =

Anybody have any input on the routine as it is?
    + =

Comment

my squat & bench routine
      set 1 - - 20
      set 2 - - 15
      set 3 - - 12
      set 4 - - 8
      set 5 - - 5
      set 6 - - 3
      set 7 - - 6
      set 8 - - 8-10
      set 9 - - 15+ (til you cant do 1 more - or the spotter helps)

i do this much for my cut, usually i dont do that much (maybe 1/2 the set amnt - heavier weighted reps).
      The higher reps help lose weight, the low rep sets help preserve muscle mass/strength
      for other exercises that arent as major i usually do 3sets of 10/12

i always do a warmup and burn out set..
      i was once told most muscle growth occurs after you do your max load lifting and perform the burnout/cooldown sets.. weather its true or not i dont care, i just feel its a good habit to deload the lactic acid and calm down the aggreviated muscles

during the cooldowns on bench i like to do stuff like feet elevated to a straight line, knees to chest, feet above chest as much as possible (like a 90degree angle), and just keep it interesting
      Last edited by jiritt0; 06-04-2006, 01:20 PM.

Comment

my suggestion is something a baseball coach always told me..

your the one that knows your body, only you know when it hurts, if you feel good, if your going to hard, or when you should stop..

so make sure your pushing yourself.. dont change your routine immediately to a huge workload if you cant handle it..slowly adjust it towards the routine you want, may take a week or 2 to reach it but you will reach it and have a better understanding of how your body works in the process...

it will also reduce the risk of injury/overtraining/soreness

Comment

Originally posted by Travis71902
          Anybody have any input on the routine as it is?
          Short term goal ?

Long term goal ?

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
            Short term goal ?

Long term goal ?

Short Term: BULK! And increase numbers on the big three. I'm aiming more for size than strength though.

Long term: Bulk more. Increase lifts even more.
            + =

Comment

C'mon people! Is the routine that bad?? I liked the 5x5 format, but the volume was just too much.
              + =

Comment

C'mon people! Is the routine that bad?? I liked the 5x5 format, but the volume was just too much.
                Details ?

Comment

Details ?

Well I ran the 5x5 for almost 7 weeks, just as its writen, and I got sick 3 times. Sick where I was in bed for at least an entire day, and had to stop working out for at least a week. I don't know if I was overtraining or what, but thats what I'm guessing. I also saw almost no size gains during the time running that program. Thats where I came up with the routine that I posted here originally. Less volume and higher reps for more of an emphasis on hypertrophy instead of strength. I love the fullbody, I love the only 3 days a week, I love the lifts involved...It just seemed like too much volume unless there was some other reason I got sick 3 times over a period of 9-10 weeks. And I never get sick. I know I'm not experienced enough to really be making my own routines, but is the one above really that flawed? I've been on the above routine for 5 weeks now and seem to be really growing, strength is rising as well, and I havent been sick or felt overtrained. I just like the idea of higher reps for my squats and quad development and thats what spurred my question. Can I incorporate 20 reppers into THIS routine, and is it worth it?
                  + =

Comment

I love the fullbody, I love the only 3 days a week, I love the lifts involved...It just seemed like too much volume unless there was some other reason I got sick 3 times over a period of 9-10 weeks. And I never get sick. I know I'm not experienced enough to really be making my own routines, but is the one above really that flawed? I've been on the above routine for 5 weeks now and seem to be really growing, strength is rising as well, and I havent been sick or felt overtrained. I just like the idea of higher reps for my squats and quad development and thats what spurred my question. Can I incorporate 20 reppers into THIS routine, and is it worth it?
                    Sounds like you are on the right track then... I only do 20 rep squats once every 2 weeks or so....

Comment

Sounds like you are on the right track then... I only do 20 rep squats once every 2 weeks or so....

Yeah, I'm just not going to worry about it. I'm gaining, so what the hell. When my squat plateaus, then I'll maybe I'll start doing these..

On a side note, If you dont do pullups...START! They have blown my back up big time! God I love working my back. Deadlifts too, they're like candy to me. If only I liked squats as much ......
                      + =

Comment

I'd do a single set of 20 rep squats instead of 3x8 on Fridays. Start with about 1/2 your max and see how you do. I did them for the first time this past leg workout and I did it with 225. I was wrecked hehe.

I like the rest of your routine, by the way.
                        Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
                        Couples who squat together stay together.

Comment

Working...
                        X