Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight Barbell Deadlift is the shiznit!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight Barbell Deadlift is the shiznit!!

So today we did deadlifts and cleans..after spending hours on bb.com and various other sites I decided maybe i'd try barbell deadlift..well at my school we have like 4 hex bars/trap bars w/e the hell you wanna call them, and that's what we've always used for deadlifts because the coach says it's safer on the back..well any of you that have read my "Squat help anyone? please " thread know that sqauting isn't my area of expertise..and when using the trap bar it's insanely easy to use your back instead of legs which is why i've spent so many hours after lifting with a sore back..and i'll probally have back pain for the rest of my life because of it..
    Well I tried straight bar deadlift today and omg I loved it! It was sooo easy to keep myself in perfect form. Sure I sacraficed 50-60pounds but the workout in the legs felt so good.. I spent so much time reading about deadlift on bb.com and other places that the coaches were actually clapping at my form..my last said was like 5 reps of 205 but they were absolutely perfect..I was scraping my shins with the bar and My shoulders were either rising simultaneously with my hips or earlier than my hips which means i'm not using my back. I mean Hex/trap bar deadlift would be fine if I could get into a squatting position to pick it up in the first place but that's not an option..with straight bars i can pull myself down into a good form.

I will never go back to Hex/trap bar deadlift! If you've never tried straight bar your missing out!
    Football Creed: I am a champion...I train like a champion ...I practice like a champion....I live like a champion...And now I vow to play like a champion...As a champion I have pride...And will not tolerate doing less than my best...The only reason I will accept defeat...Is if my best isn't as good as my opponents... I vow to do everything tonight...In a way so that win or lose...My parents will be proud of me...My coaches will be proud of me...This team will be proud of me...But most of all...I will be proud of myself...I will never quit...Regardless of the score...because a champion never quits...I promise to be aggressive...to execute...to hustle...to HIT! HIT! HIT!

Straight barbell deadlift with supinated grip is my favorite exercise ever!

Comment

Originally posted by larsons
      ..I was scraping my shins with the bar and My shoulders were either rising simultaneously with my hips or earlier than my hips which means i'm not using my back.
      you shouldn't be scraping your shins with the bar ... I do it sometimes, but it's usually on a last rep and my hams have given out on the negative and I drop the weight too fast .... (yes, I know it's bad )

try giving this a read, if you haven't already: http://www.controlledlabsforum.com/showthread.php?t=199
      jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
        Straight barbell deadlift with supinated grip is my favorite exercise ever!
        Supinated is the same as alternating grip right?
        Football Creed: I am a champion...I train like a champion ...I practice like a champion....I live like a champion...And now I vow to play like a champion...As a champion I have pride...And will not tolerate doing less than my best...The only reason I will accept defeat...Is if my best isn't as good as my opponents... I vow to do everything tonight...In a way so that win or lose...My parents will be proud of me...My coaches will be proud of me...This team will be proud of me...But most of all...I will be proud of myself...I will never quit...Regardless of the score...because a champion never quits...I promise to be aggressive...to execute...to hustle...to HIT! HIT! HIT!

Comment

Originally posted by larsons
          Supinated is the same as alternating grip right?
          Yeah - what I meant to say is Alternating.

Supinated is actually when both palms are facing towards you.

So I have one facing towards me, one facing away , which would be alternating. My bad*

Comment

So I have one facing towards me, one facing away , which would be alternating. My bad*
            a lot more weight can be lifted w/out straps with the alt. grip ... my personal fav. grip for deads also
            jdouchebag for president

Comment

Does anyone switch their hands around at any time? I would think it balances your "chi" if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by hypnotikk
                Does anyone switch their hands around at any time? I would think it balances your "chi" if you do.
                I'll do it on occassion ... and sometimes I'll switch to both palms facing me (supinated)

I also use CoC grippers to keep hand strength about even for exercises like deads
                jdouchebag for president

Comment

I almost never use grips or straps. If i'm doing a lot of weight on deadlift or soemthing I might wear lifting gloves or something but especially with powercleans I don't like to use the straps..

Comment

Actually supinated is facing away from you. Think of sup as in serving soup, palms up.
                    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                    Purple Wraath
                    Green Magnitude
                    Orange Triad
                    White Flood
                    Blue Up
                    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
                      Actually supinated is facing away from you. Think of sup as in serving soup, palms up.
                      Hehe, I was thinking as far as bb curls, they are facing towards you.

Comment

I've been looking at some lifts at bodybuilding.com
                        man those drag curls are amazing. They burn like a mother.

Comment

Hehe, I was thinking as far as bb curls, they are facing towards you.
                          True true. Good call.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                          Purple Wraath
                          Green Magnitude
                          Orange Triad
                          White Flood
                          Blue Up
                          100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                          US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Working...