My routine needs an overhaul . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My routine needs an overhaul . . .

I am definitely in need of a workout overhaul. I figured with all of the knowledgeable people here on the forum I should try to pick your brains.
    I’ll start w/ my history. I did not really start lifting on a regular basis until about three years ago after I graduated from college. In high school I ran cross country and was a skinny mofo. Well, I screwed up my ankle repeatedly the summer before going to college so I decided to stop running. In college I started lifting my junior year. At that point I basically just did a few lifts maybe twice a week off and on, nothing major. After college I got into working out more seriously. However, I never really had any instruction on lifting so I added some lifts but just did what I liked to do as opposed to what would yield the best results. I would lift MWF (full body) and do spin class Tu/Th. I gained some strength and some mass but not too much as I was not eating enough. I also started taking some creatine at that point but that was it supp wise.
    For the past 2 years I have continued on a similar path but have cut out the spin class and started eating more protein. This past January I discovered the BB.com forum and learned the necessity of increased protein and carbs . . . .thanks to Pu I’ve also added some other basic supps to my regimen – creatine, multi, fish oil, BCAAs and EAAs, glycergrow. I went from around 180ish to 195ish now. It's amazing what a difference a semi-proper nutrition can make. I have a pretty high metabolism so adding mass is tough. I’m 6’ and had ~9%BF last time I had it checked, that was about a year ago but I do not think it has changed much. Fortunately, I am no longer a twig but I'm far from hyoooge . . . I'm slowly workin on it.

Below is my current workout routine . . . try not to laugh too hard I know my lifts pale in comparison to you guys BUT I'm looking to improve .
    • Flat DB bench press: 95x10, 110x8, 120x6
    • Squats (shoulder width ATG): 225x10, 245x8, 275x6 (I have had knee probs in past so I am hesitant to go too heavy w/ squats)
    • Abs - Knee raises (done with those arm straps that hook onto the pull up bar on the squat rack, I do them in between sets of squats): 1st set alternate twisting up to each side then straight up – 8 for each movement = 24 total, 2nd set alternate twisting up to each side – 12 each side = 24 total, 3rd set straight up 30
    • Super set weighted dips and pull ups (b/c weight belt w/ chain is popular) dips: 2 sets of BW+90 x 12, 2 sets of BW+ 125 x 6-8; pullups: wide grip BW+ 45 x 12, narrow grip BW + 45 x 12; wide grip BW+ 80 x 6-8, narrow grip BW + 80 6-8
    • EZ curl biceps curl : 105 x 10, 115 x 8, 125 x6
    • DB shoulder press: 65 x 10, 75 x 8, 80 x 6
    • Incline DB hammer curls: 40 x 10, 45 x 8, 50 x 6
    • Incline DB bench press: 80 x 10, 90 x 8, 95 x 6
    • EZ curl reverse curls : 85 x 10, 95 x 8, 100 x 6
    • Chest supported rows: 115 x 10, 135 x 8, 160 x 6
    • Leg press: 630 x 10, 720 x 10, 810 x 8
    • Superset the following: front delt DB raises: 35 x 10, 40 x 8, 45 x 6; lateral delt DB raises: 25 x 10, 30 x 8, 35 x 6
    • Shrugs on a hammer strength type machine: 230 x 10, 270 x 8, 320 x 6
    • Back extension( not sure if that is the name – upper body is cantilevered off the edge of the bench and you face the ground and bend at the waist): 3 sets of 20 @ BW + 90
    • Rope triceps extension: 110 x 10, 130 x 8, 140 x 6
    • Seated Calf extension (one leg at a time): 210 x 15, 220 x 12, 230 x 10
    • Lying leg curl (one leg at a time): 60 x 10, 65 x 8, 70 x 6
    • DB rows: 95 x 10, 105 x 8, 115 x 6
    I workout MWF, Monday and Friday I do the above routine. It takes a long time. Wednesday I do the same lifts but I pyramid down in wt and do all @ 15 reps. For example for DB shoulder press I do 55 x 15, 45 x 15, and 35 x 15. Additionally, I also keep my rest between sets to 30-45 seconds on this day as well. Since getting my diet in shape and adding the supps I have been seeing some stedy gains in strength but I assume that full body workouts are not the most effective method out there.

So, if I were to try a 3 day split what would you guys suggest. I am limited to 3 days due to my schedule. I may be able to stretch it to a 4 or 5 day split at the end of the summer but it is hard to say. For what it’s worth I try to avoid exercises that require a spotter b/c I do not have a workout partner due to my messed up schedule. Hence all the DB lifts instead of BB. For what it's worth I have not added deadlift b/c I was not sure my form was correct ( I tried it a few times) and I figured it was not worth getting injured due to crappy form.

Anyway, I would appreciate some suggestions if you have any. Thanks ahead of time.
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

First of all 195 @ 9% bodyfat is incredible, and thanks for the props...

(EDIT: The following rant relates a bit to not doing deadlifts because of form)

For me it was around 190lbs (and actually fairly lean) when I took a closer look at my training and realized that it was FUBAR. Numerous people had been telling me that leg pressing was "for pussies" and to squat "ass to grass" or not at all... (emphasis on that last garbage advice "not at all")....

.. fast forward and my joints were absolutely killing me as they popped and cracked during A2G squats. Numerous people told me that leg extensions were useless / dangerous so I didn't do them.

Huge mistakes

I now recommend both squats and legpress for size
    I now love leg extensions for quad growth and as a warmup
    My joints have never felt better

Deadlifts will make a big difference regardless of rep range (IMO), and that fact will carry more weight when John and Ddawg chime in here. Also a spotter / workout partner is PRICELESS... I'm in a similar situation myself and would love to train with someone dedicated like Ddawg or John...
    Last edited by pu12en12g; 06-04-2006, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Thosse lifts are actually pretty good

Comment

First off you lifts are nothing to laugh at and are pretty good. Second of all, since you have cut out spin why do you still do only 3 days?

Now I will back up PU here and say the big 3 are very important. I know whatyou mean about knee problems, I have them too and was only able to squat 135 for 8 and 185 for 3 before the pain was too much. I made some changes and started doing 2 sets of 20 for leg extensions (lighter weight) before my leg workout. This has helped tremendously. I also use knee wraps when I go heavy for legs. I do not put them on so tight that my circulation is cut off, but they are snug and offer support. I have always had knee problems, but before last summer I was repping in the 400s in squats. Then it dropped but I am back up to the 300s for reps and 800s for the squat machine for reps and 1100 leg presses fo reps (not Pat Robertson style either ). So you can go heavy jsut you have to take some extra precautions and maybe do more warmup.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
          since you have cut out spin why do you still do only 3 days?
          Bump to that... I don't find that optimal (for size at least)

Dave if you feel that your plateau is more size vs. strength I would consider shorter workouts 5 days a week (with the obvious nutrition / macro considerations).

All things considered, you look outstanding... can't really see a weakness in your photos and you have great symmetry too.

Comment

First I want to thank you guys for the compliments and encouragement, it means a lot and helps refocus my motivation I also appreciate the pointers.
            Now to answer your questions . . .
            Well I cut out spin but kept it to 3 days a week b/c I was stuck on the whole full body workout idea . . . I'm not sure why but it was hard to get past that idea; I'm stubborn My thoughts were that 5 days a week of fullbody would be a bad idea. However, now that I have passed my point of sticking to the fullbody I have a new problem . . . lack of time. Well, it's possible that this might not be the case. I will be starting my surgery rotation next week and from what I hear the hours that we are required to be at the hospital range from 60 to 80+ hours per week depending on where I am assigned. And then there is time at home that I will need to spend studying up on the patients I was assigned. If you throw in time for sleep and eating and some QT w/ my g/f (I can't ignore her totally, she gets mad) that leaves little extra time.

Enough complaining on my part about lack of time. I hope to be able to get in 5 days a week @ the gym, but I think it might be kind of tough on this rotation at least. I will have to see how things work out. I definitely agree that shorter workouts 5x a week would be better. My workout now last 2 to 2.5 hours depending on whether or not I am talking to others while lifting or not and my energy level . . . I think that's a bit too long.

If I can get the 5D/wk to work with my schedule what type of split would you guys recommend? I am just not sure on the specifics: how many lifts to do per body part, how many sets, rep ranges, pyramid up or down, etc. The scheme I had worked ok for me but it is far from ideal for gains in size and strength. I was slowly gaining both size and strength but it was more sporadic and far from optimal. So, I am looking to change things up to see if I can improve in both size and strength. Or is it better to focus on one at a time? The size goal may be a problem during my next rotation as it will be hard to get in all my meals and snacks while being in the Operating Room for the majority of the time. I think they might get a little upset if got crumbs in the surgical field

Anyway, thanks again for the input I really appreciate it.
            Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

Comment

There are many options, but if you are limited to time but still can get in 5 days, look at Mr. Aries' routine. I have been doing this one for many years with some great results. Is this something you can do?

chest/abs
              back/traps
              legs/abs
              shoulders
              arms/abs

Comment

There are many options, but if you are limited to time but still can get in 5 days, look at Mr. Aries' routine. I have been doing this one for many years with some great results. Is this something you can do?

chest/abs
                back/traps
                legs/abs
                shoulders
                arms/abs
                LOL Good point, I guess I missed the obvious there. His routine definitely looks solid. If I can get half the results you and Mr. Aries get w/ such a routine I would be quite happy.

Comment

chest/abs
                  back/traps
                  legs/abs
                  shoulders
                  arms/abs

don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but do you do this routine mon-fri with no rest in between and then just take off on the weekends, or how do you split that routin up in terms of days of the week?

Comment

chest/abs
                    back/traps
                    legs/abs
                    shoulders
                    arms/abs
                    a five-day routine like this has been by far the most productive one Ive followed over the years...

It's very complete and very solid..

I have two rest days in there... One after the 3rd day, one after the 5th day.
                    www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

I've done 5 on 2 off or 3 on, 1 off, 2 on. I personally like the 5 on because I do a lot of other sport activities on the weekend.

Comment

I've got some questions on the "Mr. Aries routine" that maybe you guys can help me out with. Questions below and then in bold in his routine. Sorry for all of the questions I'm a details guy at times . . .

1. when you are doing back/traps day for example do you do all back then all traps or mix it up? Related to that do you try to do it in the same order each time or constantly mix it up?
                        2. How much rest do you take between sets?
                        3. Do you go fast (explosive) or slow and controlled on your reps?
                        4. For cardio do you do it when you lift or seperate it by a certain # of hours?
                        5 Any other lifts I should consider adding to the routine to help w/ my size/strength gains? For example leg press had been suggested to me.

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                        Keep in mind this is my current routine, which reflect a summer cut.

I'm currently 228lbs. sub 8% bf.. 6'1".

chest/abs
                        back/traps
                        legs/abs
                        shoulders
                        arms/abs

cardio 20 minutes per day 4 times a week.

calves twice a week.

each workout = 1.5 hours long.

I workout everyday in the mid to late afternoon, around 4 or 6 PM.

I eat 5 times per day. 4 of those being brocolli/chicken, or chicken/beans/corn. The other one is of course my post workout meal, which is something like whey isolate/kool aid.

my workouts are always as heavy as i can tolerate, even if it's on-season for me.

chest:

incline bench 4 sets.. 1 plate, 2 plates, 275, and then 3 plates.
                        At least for now I do not have a lifting partner, is it better to substitute smith machine or DB incline press?
                        incline db flyes: 3 sets.. 40lbs, 60lbs, 80lbs
                        dips with weight around my waist: 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates.
                        machine flyes: 3 sets
                        I've not really used many of the machines in the gym I go to, I think they have this but not sure, is this just a flat fly?

back:

stiff legged deads: 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates, 365lbs.
                        or do you alternate b/n the 2?
                        bent over rows: 1 plate, 2 plates, 275lbs.

lat pulldowns: 4 sets.
                        or
                        pull ups: 15, 10, 8, 6 reps

cable rows: 3 sets Is this just a seated 2 hand cable row?
                        one arm rows: 80lbs, 100lbs, 130lbs DBs I'm assuming?
                        smith-machine shrugs: 3 plates, 4 plates, 5 plates.
                        I've seen different techniques . . . do you go straight up or up and then kind forward, or something else?
                        Legs:

squats: 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates.. stop here or go up higher, depending on how i feel that day.
                        How far down do you go?

leg extensions: 4 sets
                        leg curls: 3 sets
                        smith machine calf raises on a raised box: 3 plates, 4 plates, 4 plates.

shoulders:

db shoulder press: 40lbs, 80lbs, 100lbs
                        or
                        standing military: 95lbs, 135lbs, 185lbs

side laterals: 35lbs, 45lbs, 55lbs
                        rear laterals: 45lbs, 55lbs, 65lbs

arms:

barbell curls: 95lbs, 115lbs, 155lbs straight barbell or EZ curl . . . does it make a difference?
                        or
                        db curls: 35lbs, 50lbs, 65lbs, 80lbs A few question on this: seated or standing? supinated and straight up or rotate on way up?

close grip bench: 1 plate, 2 plate, 3 plates, 335lbs Is smith machine ok until I find a partner?
                        hammer curls: 50lbs, 70lbs, 90lbs
                        cable pressdown: 3 sets Do you do each arm separately? or together (rope or bar)?
                        cable curls: 3 sets
                        preacher curls: up to 125lbs Barbell or EZ Curl bar?

abs I do with a variety of twists and turns, decline benches and leg raises... i use a lot of heavy weights for my abs, since i have a naturally small waist.
                        EDIT: 1 additional question . . . at what point do you need to worry about wearing a weight belt?
                        Last edited by Dr.Dave1; 06-06-2006, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
                          EDIT: 1 additional question . . . at what point do you need to worry about wearing a weight belt?
                          General consensus seems to be around 315+

Comment

machine flyes: 3 sets

I've not really used many of the machines in the gym I go to, I think they have this but not sure, is this just a flat fly?
                            I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that John was referring to:

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pect...SeatedFly.html
                            http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pect...ecDeckFly.html

Comment

I've got some questions on the "Mr. Aries routine" that maybe you guys can help me out with. Questions below and then in bold in his routine. Sorry for all of the questions I'm a details guy at times . . .

1. when you are doing back/traps day for example do you do all back then all traps or mix it up? Related to that do you try to do it in the same order each time or constantly mix it up?
                              2. How much rest do you take between sets?
                              3. Do you go fast (explosive) or slow and controlled on your reps?
                              4. For cardio do you do it when you lift or seperate it by a certain # of hours?
                              5 Any other lifts I should consider adding to the routine to help w/ my size/strength gains? For example leg press had been suggested to me.

Here are my answers but they maybe different for Mr Aries.

1. I mix my exercises up, I even try to do different one every week. For traps I mix and sometimes do them seperately.
                              2. I take around 1-2 minutes
                              3. Explosive on some slow on others.
                              4. Either after working out or either earlier in the day.
                              5. Stick with the basics for mass/strength

Comment

Working...
                              X