post workout cardio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post workout cardio

What kind do u prefer? I train in the evening. I was thinking of HIIT (JOG/ SPRINTING). IM TRYING TO BULK, but I dont want to overdo cardio. Must loose belly fat!!.....comments

I really wish I had bookmarked the article I was reading, but it was a discussion about doing cardio after lifting and whether or not it should be done, what should be consumed, etc..

what I remember from it was that as long as cardio was moderate intensity and no more than 25min duration, that the risk of catabolism was minimal. it also covered taking free form BCAA's should post-workout cardio be longer than 25min or if the intensity is greater than moderate. this will counter the catabolic potential.

if you're trying to bulk, and plan on doing HIIT post-workout, then what is duration of this, how will you be supplementing, or have you considered doing lighter intensity cardio? what about your diet? any changes you have planned for that? doesn't matter how much cardio you do if you have big macs and whoppers for lunch every day. (i forget what those taste like )

personally, I do about 10-25 of cardio after every lifting session and then extended cardio on non-lifting days

hope this helps, or at least sparks a few ideas
    jdouchebag for president

Comment

If bulking, HIIT would not be good to good following weights. HIIT is much harder on the body as far as your metabolism goes and will turn catabolic. That's the big difference between regular cardio and HIIT. If you can, space out the weights and HIIT in the day. Or, do HIIT with food in the stomach and THEN hit weights. Either way though, I'd do normal cardio for about 25-30 minutes at moderate intensity while bulking.
      Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
      Purple Wraath
      Green Magnitude
      Orange Triad
      White Flood
      Blue Up
      100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
      US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

THE only reason I thought of HIIT post wk out, was Its short in duration, less than 25 min.... I am very tired post weights, I have a treadmill, but w/ warmer weather comming I thought @ jog/sprinting outside...

Comment

Originally posted by RRT
          THE only reason I thought of HIIT post wk out, was Its short in duration, less than 25 min.... I am very tired post weights, I have a treadmill, but w/ warmer weather comming I thought @ jog/sprinting outside...
          HIIT is going to be MUCH harder on you than regular cardio, so keep that in your mind. Personally, I'd go heavy weights, mild cardio while bulking. I know you want to minimize fat, but best way to do that is through to diet. You'll gain some no matter what though. That's why it's followed by THE CUT!

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
            If bulking, HIIT would not be good to good following weights. HIIT is much harder on the body as far as your metabolism goes and will turn catabolic. That's the big difference between regular cardio and HIIT. If you can, space out the weights and HIIT in the day. Or, do HIIT with food in the stomach and THEN hit weights. Either way though, I'd do normal cardio for about 25-30 minutes at moderate intensity while bulking.
            Thats such crap

Comment

Best thing would be HIIT after leg workout, Complex's after Back/Chest workout, and a day of GPP Strongman type stuff. With one day of regular cardio: Heres my training

Tue:ME Bench, Tri Work, Shoulder Work, Back Work (Complex at the End of a workout)
              Thur:Lower Back/Upper Back Emphasize, Tri Work (Complex's or HIIT, or Sled)
              Sat:Strongman Training or ME GM (Sled Pulling, Farmers Walk, Yolks, Fat Cable Sled Rowing)
              Sun:Squat, Upper Back (HIIT)
              Last edited by LancerV; 03-01-2007, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
                HIIT is going to be MUCH harder on you than regular cardio, so keep that in your mind. Personally, I'd go heavy weights, mild cardio while bulking. I know you want to minimize fat, but best way to do that is through to diet. You'll gain some no matter what though. That's why it's followed by THE CUT!
                HIIT is more taxing on the CNS than it is the body, which is why it shouldnt be done everyday but it can be done 1 or twice a week just fine. And regular cardio is more catabolic than HIIT

Comment

Originally posted by LancerV
                  HIIT is more taxing on the CNS than it is the body, which is why it shouldnt be done everyday but it can be done 1 or twice a week just fine. And regular cardio is more catabolic than HIIT
                  How is it that you and I finally agree on something :P

HIIT is far too short of a duration to lead to catabolism, generally speaking. Steady state cardio is far more likely to lead to a catabolic state. However, I would venture to say that most people don't have it in them to do HIIT after an intense weights session
                  Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth

HIIT is far too short of a duration to lead to catabolism, generally speaking. Steady state cardio is far more likely to lead to a catabolic state. However, I would venture to say that most people don't have it in them to do HIIT after an intense weights session
                    That and I will add in a note of HIIT shouldn't be performed on LOW carb days, since it relays glycogen stores, vs low intesinty which works on Protein, Fats, and Carbs for energy

And its because I know what Im talking about when it comes to this stuff

Heres a good article on Complexes http://www.elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm
                    Last edited by LancerV; 03-01-2007, 02:34 AM.

Comment

I heard that hell froze over this morning
                      jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by strester
                        I heard that hell froze over this morning
                        Well, they cancelled school this morning in South Dakota and that nearly never happens.

On a side-note to Lancer..

Originally posted by lancerv
                        And its because I know what Im talking about when it comes to this stuff
                        Your knowledge is greatly diminshed by your ego. Get that in check and you would come off a lot smarter :P

SCT, still honest.
                        Back to the basics!

Comment

Your knowledge is greatly diminshed by your ego. Get that in check and you would come off a lot smarter :P
                          Ego lol, Im the weakest person in my gym Its just kinda intresting to see people give out advice but yet they are always stuck in the same rut. Same with diet advice, people will be like oh well I dont know if I can do that and just stick to there methods and get no where.
                          Last edited by LancerV; 03-01-2007, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Ego lol, Im the weakest person in my gym Its just kinda intresting to see people give out advice but yet they are always stuck in the same rut. Same with diet advice, people will be like oh well I dont know if I can do that and just stick to there methods and get no where.
                            So instead you come across as if you know everything when in fact you are spouting regurgitated knowledge?

Love,
                            SCT
                            Back to the basics!

Comment

Best thing would be HIIT after leg workout, Complex's after Back/Chest workout, and a day of GPP Strongman type stuff. With one day of regular cardio: Heres my training

Tue:ME Bench, Tri Work, Shoulder Work, Back Work (Complex at the End of a workout)
                              Thur:Lower Back/Upper Back Emphasize, Tri Work (Complex's or HIIT, or Sled)
                              Sat:Strongman Training or ME GM (Sled Pulling, Farmers Walk, Yolks, Fat Cable Sled Rowing)
                              Sun:Squat, Upper Back (HIIT)
                              This coming from a guy who can't lift for shit. Funny. Apparently "complex's" isn't providing you good chest work. Might want to look into something else, or would that hurt your ego?
                              Last edited by Spartan; 03-01-2007, 06:33 PM.

Current Supps:
                              Purple Wraath
                              Green Magnitude
                              Orange Triad
                              White Flood
                              Blue Up
                              100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Working...