Help with training split for girlfriend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with training split for girlfriend

havent been able to spend much time on the boards recently, but hopefully I will have a little more time now...

my girlfriend is trying to get a little more serious with her weight training and asked for some help with her routine. she wants to lift 3 times a week, so I figured I would check to see what type of split you guys recommend she do: different muscle groups each time, full body, etc? shes basically trying to tone up a little bit and drop some bf. any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Mos Jeff
    havent been able to spend much time on the boards recently, but hopefully I will have a little more time now...

my girlfriend is trying to get a little more serious with her weight training and asked for some help with her routine. she wants to lift 3 times a week, so I figured I would check to see what type of split you guys recommend she do: different muscle groups each time, full body, etc? shes basically trying to tone up a little bit and drop some bf. any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Some ideas:

Full body
    OFF
    Cardio
    Full body
    OFF
    Cardio
    Full body
    Upper + Cardio
    Lower
    OFF
    Upper + Cardio
    Lower
    OFF
    Upper + Cardio

Comment

Great examples by PT. Either one of those would be a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
        Some ideas:

thanks for the suggestions. just curious, but any reason why you don't recommend isolating muscle groups such as chest/tris, back/bis, etc.? what are the advantages of full body, or upper/lower?

Comment

thanks for the suggestions. just curious, but any reason why you don't recommend isolating muscle groups such as chest/tris, back/bis, etc.? what are the advantages of full body, or upper/lower?
          • Work every muscle group two-three times per week instead of 1
          • Better for cardiovascular

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
            • Work every muscle group two-three times per week instead of 1
            • Better for cardiovascular

Thanks, this is what I figured. Appreciate the help.

Comment

PT or renegade: how many exercises per workout would you suggest for the upper/lower split?

Comment

I would do 1-2.

Comment

Isolation CAN definately be better for size, but for conditioning I'd go full body or upper/lower. Many, many other variables, so that's just somewhere to start.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                    I would do 1-2.
                    ^^^^

Listen to Ddawg, he knows his shiat

Comment

appreciate it guys

Comment

No problem, I would focus more on compound exercises and if the need for more isolation type exercises are needed later on you can add them in or rotate.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                          No problem, I would focus more on compound exercises and if the need for more isolation type exercises are needed later on you can add them in or rotate.

yeah thats exactly what i did -- i made up a routine for her, but figured i should come on here and get some additional suggestions before giving it to her....

thanks again, its good to be back on here regularly, its been a while -- lots of new names i see.

Comment

Working...
                          X