X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List Your Favorite Anti-Oxidants!

The ones I'm using right now:

Green Tea Extract (EGCG)
    Although numerous laboratory investigations have shown the powerful antioxidant activity of green tea and green tea extracts, prospective clinical studies in humans are few. From the laboratory findings, it is clear that green tea is an effective antioxidant, that is provides clear protection from experimentally induced DNA damage and that it can slow or halt the initiation and progression of cancerous tumor growth. There is also evidence from some studies that green tea provides significant immunoprotective qualities, particularly in the case of cancer patients undergoing radiation or chemotherapy. White blood cell count appears to be maintained more effectively in cancer patients consuming green tea compared to non-supplemented patients. Several epidemiological studies show an association between consumption of total flavonoids in the diet and the risk for cancer and heart disease. Men with the highest consumption of flavonoids (from fruits and vegetables) have approximately half the risk of heart disease and cancer compared with those with the lowest intake. The primary catechin in green tea, EGCG, appears to inhibit the growth of cancer cells as well as play a role in stimulating apoptosis (programmed cell death), both of which are crucial aspects for cancer prevention. In terms of heart disease protection, the potent antioxidant properties of polyphenols would be expected to reduce free radical damage to cells and prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol – both of which would be expected to inhibit the formation of atherosclerotic plaques. Aside from the clear benefits of green tea as an antioxidant, recent studies have suggested a role catechins in promoting weight loss. In one animal study, the anti-obesity effect of green tea was evaluated by feeding different levels of green tea (1-4% in their diets) to female mice for 4 months. The study found that the mice receiving the green tea in their diets had a significant suppression of food intake, body weight gain and fat tissue accumulation. In addition, levels of cholesterol and triglycerides were lower in mice receiving the green tea diet. Perhaps the most interesting finding from this study was that Leptin levels in serum showed a decrease with green tea treatments – indicating that green tea may have a direct effect on the regulation of body weight (downward). In some studies, green tea is associated with a mild increase in thermogenesis (increased caloric expenditure) – which is generally attributed to its caffeine content. At least one study has shown that green tea extract stimulates thermogenesis to an extent that is much greater than can be attributed to its caffeine content per se – meaning that the thermogenic properties of green tea may be due to an interaction between its high content of catechin-polyphenols along with caffeine. A probable theory for the thermogenic effect of green tea is an increase in levels of norepinephrine – because catechin-polyphenols are known to inhibit catechol-O-methyl-transferase (the enzyme that degrades norepinephrine). One study examined this theory, and the effect of green tea extract on 24-hour energy expenditure, in 10 healthy men – who each consumed 3 treatments of green tea extract (50mg caffeine and 90mg epigallocatechin gallate), caffeine (50 mg), and placebo (at breakfast, lunch, and dinner). The results of the study showed that, relative to placebo, the green tea extract resulted in a significant (4%) increase in 24-hour energy expenditure (approximately 80 calories per day) and a significant increase in the body’s use of fat as an energy source (24-h Respiratory Quotient). In addition, the 24-hour urinary norepinephrine excretion was 40% higher during treatment with the green tea extract than with the placebo. It is interesting to note that treatment with caffeine in amounts equivalent to those found in the green tea extract (50mg) had no effect on energy expenditure of fat oxidation – suggesting that the thermogenic properties of green tea it due to compounds other than its caffeine content alone.
    Grape Seed Extract
    Grape Seed extract is a medicinal herb used primarily for it's high proanthocyanidin content. Proanthocyanidin is a bioflavonoid which has demonstrated anti-oxidant properties and is taken by some as a treatment for arthritis, bruises, gum disease, phlebitis, ulcers, varicose veins, and other vascular problems. It has also been utilized in the treatment of allergies that respond to antihistamines. It is thought to protect and strengthen connective tissue. Proanthocyanidins are also considered helpful in improving and preserving the elasticity of skin by stabilizing collagen and elastin. Grape seed extract's anti-oxidant properties have been used for treating inflammation, cardiac or cerebral infarction, and hypoxia from arteriosclerosis.
    Last edited by RenegadeRows; 01-03-2007, 11:06 AM.

Does Budweiser count?

A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
      Does Budweiser count?

Only budweiser B^E

Comment

Healthy Diet
        Spirulina
        Green TEA
        NAC
        Vitamin C

A few other good ones...

Comment

Green Tea
          Vitamin C
          jdouchebag for president

Comment

NAC is an excellent one.

Comment

Green Tea
              Spirulina
              Vit C
              and trying Pycnogenol

Comment

Interested in the Spirulina. Been doing some reading on it. Seems to contain B vitamin complex as well as C, D and E. Apparently it's good for reversing age-related decline in memory function, as well as other general health issues.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
                  Interested in the Spirulina. Been doing some reading on it. Seems to contain B vitamin complex as well as C, D and E. Apparently it's good for reversing age-related decline in memory function, as well as other general health issues.
                  Check out Green Vibrance Super Food Powder drink mix by Vibrant Health. Lots of Spirulina and TONS of other great stuff. Also can serve as a good multivitamin/mineral supplement. I do a couple scoops every morning mixed into V8 juice. Otherwise it kind of tastes like pond water. BUT, WELL WORTH THE BENEFITS! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AJM
                    Check out Green Vibrance Super Food Powder drink mix by Vibrant Health. Lots of Spirulina and TONS of other great stuff. Also can serve as a good multivitamin/mineral supplement. I do a couple scoops every morning mixed into V8 juice. Otherwise it kind of tastes like pond water. BUT, WELL WORTH THE BENEFITS! Good Luck!
                    Good info, I'll look into it, Thanks!

Comment

By the way, after a couple of months on CL products I have to agree that my favorite stack is now GM, PW, GG. I can't believe the results I am getting. Like nothing I have tried before...ever! Still not quite sure why I see so many guys adding so many other supps. ON TOP of a solid CL stack already. Like do you really need more creatine when your downing THE GREEN MAG. already??? Anyways, go GM,PW,GG.

Comment

Originally posted by AJM
                        By the way, after a couple of months on CL products I have to agree that my favorite stack is now GM, PW, GG. I can't believe the results I am getting. Like nothing I have tried before...ever! Still not quite sure why I see so many guys adding so many other supps. ON TOP of a solid CL stack already. Like do you really need more creatine when your downing THE GREEN MAG. already??? Anyways, go GM,PW,GG.
                        It's my favorite stack, and it lasts for so long. I have 2 tubs of PW and 2 tubs of GM just sitting there waiting to be opened ... and I'm trying to run my current ones down so I can get to them. Amazing products!

Comment

Working...
                        X