Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsolved bodily mysteries, whats your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsolved bodily mysteries, whats your opinion?

Feel free to add any question of your own and please do respond, I'd love to hear your own opinion on these....

Since the original CL shirt was F genetics..what is everyones thought on genetics as it pertains to the human body? People generally love to find a scapegoat, and I feel that all too often when people can't reach a goal because of their own lack of effort they turn to genetics. I've heard so many times, "I'm fat because it's in my genetics" and this just seems to me an excuse for somebody who most likely didn't try their hardest or was going about the process in an incorrect/inconsistent manner.

For me personally I believe anything can be achieved. I suppose this is a debate thats been going on for a long time now as it pertains to "nature vs. nurture". But I personally believe that its all about how you treat your body from day 1. Granted I do believe genetics plays a part..obviously body height/frame/type etc is something you can't control as much. Yet, I see genetics more as rules that can be bent and broken. Sure some things are harder for others, but impossible is nothing.

Or how about this question...

What are some of everyones long-term and/or ending goals? Can you ever see yourself getting to the point where you say, "Enough is enough, I've got too much muscle and its becoming unattractive", and if so..what is this point?

I know personally although I love lifting I'd never want to actually get so large that people considered my freakish, and although I do respect some of the great bodybuilders, I can't say I feel as I'd ever want to be that big myself.

Thats all for now, I'm sure I'll think of some more when I'm bored at work. Respond with thoughts.

Heres another question for some of you....

do you ever get tired of hearing things about your body from the "average" person? I do love comments and encouragement, and I especially enjoy when the guys I work out with will notice a change but sometimes I hate hearing, "you're ripped man" or blah blah blah. I don't want to hear that, I want to hear that I'm tiny and I need to hit the gym.

I feel as if my dad does this to me too, I'll come home and I swear he'll show off my body like it was a good report card or something. "Take off your shirt show them your abs" I guess I shouldn't complain about this one, but I hate the thought of performing or feeling like a jukebox, and I don't want people to get the wrong impression. I really dislike all the guys that think they're utterly amazing and think their shit doesn't stink. Plus, I like to be known as me...not the guy with the body. But how about everybody else? What type of comments please your ear, and what makes you go...ok I get the point already.

Comment

And even one more....

What are your thoughts on the future of bodybuilding? All sorts of research is being done and more and more supplements come out all the time. They've really only been getting better. To add onto that we have the technology to basically make a "gravity room" where full-body workouts could potentially take little to no time at all. Although this is currently at no stage to be generally used by much of anything besides the space program, eventually it will branch out to the public as all things do. With this hypothetical situation in mind....

What are your thoughts on the future? If you're older and your children or grandchildren just pop a pill and walk into a room for a minute or so and build great desired muscles that we all work so hard for, will you continue to love and respect building the body? Will the entire practice of bodybuilding as we know it cease to exist? Or do you see yourself sitting around in one of those "in my day we had to walk 5 miles uphill to get to school..in the snow" voices explaining how we all had to work to get our gains.

Not really so far fetched so its something to keep in mind I suppose.

Comment

IMO I think genetics plays a role in who we are and what we can do. I mean how do you explain people with amazing strenght. I mean, When someone doesn't take any supplements at all and just lifts on occasions. I know some people that are really strong, we actually call it retard strenght becasue they don't know how stong they are actually. So they would ahve to be born that way, I presume.
        SO I believe you can't total say F-Genetics, I mean are genes are who we are, they are a makeup and body compostion. We are all not born the same, so it only matters to a certain point on how hard someone trains, or what they eat or don't eat. I mean Im sure you all know some one who eats all the junk food in the world and not gain a pound whatso ever. I have a brother like that, But I eat a chip and it goes right to my waist. I believe is genetics all him to do that. In the same way, he can't be my size, nor do I think he can be as stong as me. I don't mean to sound harsh, but truth is, peole are born are a certain way, and when you go screwing with your genes, after awhile they just quit. what I mean with screwing is overdosing on chemicals to get big, because after a while the body can only take so much. Eventually it shuts downs and we die, then Genetics in essecene says F- Us.
        This is my two cents on it all, I hope some my thoughts were clear and valid. If not Im sorry you had to read it.
        By the way, I love those shirts I wish I had one F-Genetics, Im a XXXL, thats right Im a big boy, ex O-lineman here.
        If you have to cheat to win, why bothering playing..

Comment

i just want to comment on one thing about genetics as a scape goat
          i think for the overweight it is used way too often but i think for a bber who has psent years in the gym adventally their genetics will catch up with them
          for me i was a whopping 120 lbs at 5'8'' when i graduated right now i am 190 so i am prolly getting close to my natural limit
          Owner of Fitness Paramount Personal Training

Comment

at what point do i say i am big enough .. when it poses health problems
            many of my bigger friends get winded so easily and one of my friends legs are so big that he gets rashes and caffing (sic?) gets from walkin to much
            Owner of Fitness Paramount Personal Training

Comment

Genetics play a huge role IMO... examples are all around us.

Some genetic limitations can also be overcome IMO

Muscle, Genes, And Athletic Performance:
              http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=579003

http://www.controlledlabs.com/forum/...read.php?t=192
              Last edited by pu12en12g; 05-27-2006, 01:53 AM.

Comment

people iw ork with jokingly tell me im fat. it pisses me off. im not the rippedest mother out there but im not fat. i could break most of them in half too, but refrain from it. it sucks cos people seem to enjoy starting stuff with you when your alot bigger, like they'll prove something out of it, but i dont really consider myself a big fighter. i mean, when im drunk the fists get thrown down without hesitantion, but when im sober i dont feel compelled to do that unless im really ticked off, or you do something way out of line.

as stated in mytitle thing, my main reason to lift and exercise is to maintain strength and shed bodyfat. i used to be alot bigger than i am now in hs, weighing around 250, maybe 275 at my peak playing football... than i lost about 90pd rapidly during summer 2 a days and working everynight (ie: long practices in 100ish heat, with 1 meal at lunch, and going straight to work all night with 1 or no more meals). ever since ive been more aimed at reachieving the physique i had when i bottomed at 175pd senior year.

my current outlook is not so much on the weight, but more on the bodyfat. I would love to have sub 10% bodyfat.. i would love to get close to hit this summer, and hopefully be able to manage my alcoholism/exercise/diet to somewhat maintain it during next year @ college (SENIOR BABY!) and continue towards my goal post-graduation, when the partying has hopefully died down.

Comment

Working...
                X