X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do u do when u hit a plateau?

What do u do when u hit a plateau in your muscle gains. Do you:

Change routines?
    Up the lbs,sets, and reps or vice versa?
    Change all your supps. to shock your body?
    Take a break all at once with everything?

Help?
    Faith is the substance of things hoped for......HEBREWS

When i hit a plateau, If im taking supplements I discontinue and just stick to whey. I also change up the # of reps and sets i do to keep my muscles guessing what im gonna do next

Comment

If you check out my log, I recently switched from:

Low reps - heavy weight

to

High reps - light weight

Seems to be working! And then I'll switch back when I plateau again.

Comment

You switch your workout AND stop supps? And do u stop for a whole month or so?
        Also do u think lifting "reps til failure" creates earlier plateaus'? What about doing the same muscle group thats still a lil sore from the last workout? (hopefully not over working)
        I got all these questions cause its killing me that the gains i saw after each workout have really minimized. Hopefully cause I put on mass, and all summer I was cuttin like a demon so it's really discouraging to not see so much definition. As far as weight, I almost doubled all my reps and obviously need to get more weight. But I just hope thats the problem (less cardio and more mass) So once I get my cardio back, everything i see as mass muscle will be defined again to suttin I'll be shocked,suprised and more than happy with. Again, sorry for all the questions!!
        Last edited by Tommygenz; 12-13-2006, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Yo Tommy, I can relate to ya bro, I too was doing a cutting cycle, now im done and im looking to put back on some weight for the winter, its tough because at the end of the cutting cycle I needed a daily supply of tape cuz i was so shredded but now that im looking to put on a little what i lost im gonna see some of the definations disappear abit, but then again when i cut next time I will be more motivated

Comment

Originally posted by Tommygnz

Change routines?

Help?
            Drop sets, negatives, pyramids...
            Also, maybe change the days you were working out certain groups with others.
            Hit different exercises as well.
            Good luck!

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
            Purple Wraath
            Green Magnitude
            Orange Triad
            White Flood
            Blue Up
            100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
            US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows

Low reps - heavy weight

to

High reps - light weight

Started this type of workout this week, have been out a few weeks from being sick, gallbladder etc..etc..

Today was day 2 and I'm freakin sore, but what a hell of a pump
              A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows

Low reps - heavy weight

to

High reps - light weight

Don't let John Lee see you saying high reps low weight!

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
                Purple Wraath
                Green Magnitude
                Orange Triad
                White Flood
                Blue Up
                100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

pffft he wont do anything.

I'll send his little candy ass packing!

A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
                    pffft he wont do anything.

I'll send his little candy ass packing!

LOL

Comment

Change routines?
                      Yep

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                        Yep
                        OK??? I was expecting a lil more when I saw your name!!! lol

Comment

Yesterday was my much needed OFF day. Got back in today, (with a change of chest routine in mind.) I started with a few warm up flat bench and push ups. Then I began with down the rack inclined DB flys, really extending the chest. Started with 65lbs all the way to 25's and the veins and pump in my upper chest and shoulders were ridiculous. Went to some more dips, (didnt get much of those after those flys.) Then I hopped back to wide grip flat bench, with really slow reps. It was feeling so dam great I had to stop lookin in the mirror and go by how I felt. Did a few flat bench DB presses, but by then I knew it mightbe overkill, so I cuttem short since I wasnt really gettin that much weight up anyway. So I ended with some more sets of close grip dips leaning forward and I almost fell the f** out after this!!!! lol
                          All in all, this was a chest workout that gave me a feelin I haven't had in a while.

Comment

Yesterday was my much needed OFF day. Got back in today, (with a change of chest routine in mind.) I started with a few warm up flat bench and push ups. Then I began with down the rack inclined DB flys, really extending the chest. Started with 65lbs all the way to 25's and the veins and pump in my upper chest and shoulders were ridiculous. Went to some more dips, (didnt get much of those after those flys.) Then I hopped back to wide grip flat bench, with really slow reps. It was feeling so dam great I had to stop lookin in the mirror and go by how I felt. Did a few flat bench DB presses, but by then I knew it mightbe overkill, so I cuttem short since I wasnt really gettin that much weight up anyway. So I ended with some more sets of close grip dips leaning forward and I almost fell the f** out after this!!!! lol
                            All in all, this was a chest workout that gave me a feelin I haven't had in a while.

Good to hear!

Current Supps:
                            Purple Wraath
                            Green Magnitude
                            Orange Triad
                            White Flood
                            Blue Up
                            100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

you can do any number of things..

Depending on the bodypart that has hit the plateau, I'll isolate that bodypart and do it by itself or first in my workout..

I may also switch up the exercises, hit them at different angles, or superset/giant set that particular bodypart.

I may also switch up my diet and nutrient timing..

It all comes from years of listening to your body and carefully observing any minor detail a casual glance might have missed.
                              www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Working...
                              X