Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious help with a cut (SCT get in here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious help with a cut (SCT get in here!)

Yeah so it's almost time to start cutting. I've finished my Black Hole log, and I have been bulking for quite some time now. I've also lost just about all definition in my mid-section, at about 16 % bodyfat. I was really hoping to get to 200, maybe even higher, but it seems pointless if it's mostly fat (I'm at 198). So I think I'm gonna start a cut in a couple weeks, but I need some serious help. Last time I cut, I lost way too much muscle mass, so I don't want to make that mistake again.

So I need diet help. Should I go with a carb cycle diet, just a low-carb diet, or any other macro recommendation? I guess this is a good start -- any input is appreciated.

post a pic so we can see what we be workin' with
    www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
      post a pic so we can see what we be workin' with
      *agree* I'd like some more information to work with here and then Aries and I will get you cut up like a mofo!

A few things -

Pics certainly help, if not what bodytype are you?

What is your current training split?

Do you have any method of dieting (god I hate that word) that has worked well for you previously? Or maybe one that hasn't?

SCT
      Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
        *agree* I'd like some more information to work with here and then Aries and I will get you cut up like a mofo!

\
        SCT

sir, it's MR. aries to you aite?
        www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

sir, it's MR. aries to you aite?
          Sorry Mrs. Aries.
          Back to the basics!

Comment

Sorry Mrs. Aries.

if you happen to know who she is, please let me know.. i've been waiting for that girl
            www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

A few things -

Pics certainly help, if not what bodytype are you?

What is your current training split?

Do you have any method of dieting (god I hate that word) that has worked well for you previously? Or maybe one that hasn't?

SCT

OK, I'll work on getting some pics taken -- I'm not gonna start cutting for a few weeks so theres time...

I'd say my bodytype is meso -- I really don't have a previous method of dieting that has worked well for me, because I have only seriously been on a cut once, and I obviously didn't do it properly since I lost a good deal of muscle mass, along with the fat. I cut calories down way too quickly was the main problem I believe. I have read a lot of good things about carb cycling so I'm wondering if this is the way to go, or if maybe I should just stick to a diet of higher fat, lower carbs? I will work on getting some pics up.

Comment

For pure fat loss while maintaining muscle I'm a big fan of both carb and caloric cycling to keep the metabolism pumping along, in addition I really like ketogenic based diets IF and ONLY IF you can stick with them and carbup properly.

Remember that ANY diet is only as good as your ability to stick to it.

SCT
                Back to the basics!

Comment

For pure fat loss while maintaining muscle I'm a big fan of both carb and caloric cycling to keep the metabolism pumping along, in addition I really like ketogenic based diets IF and ONLY IF you can stick with them and carbup properly.

SCT

so is that the way to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Mos Jeff
                    so is that the way to go?
                    There is not really any 'way to go' but carb cycling would certainly keep things active while in a caloric deficit.

SCT
                    Back to the basics!

Comment

SCT
                      good point. As long as you get EFA and protein intake is adequate the creation of a calorific deficit should "work"

Comment

There is not really any 'way to go' but carb cycling would certainly keep things active while in a caloric deficit.

SCT

Well what about just a diet with high protein, high fat, low carbs, such as 45, 40, 15 or something like that? Is that not as efficient as carb cycling?

Also, I am very confused as to how to plan out your days when carb cycling, as in which days are low carb, no carb, higher carb, and which workout splits are best to coincide with this type of diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mos Jeff
                          Well what about just a diet with high protein, high fat, low carbs, such as 45, 40, 15 or something like that? Is that not as efficient as carb cycling?

Also, I am very confused as to how to plan out your days when carb cycling, as in which days are low carb, no carb, higher carb, and which workout splits are best to coincide with this type of diet.
                          Here is the thought process behind going with a 'low carb' diet. When you remove carbohydrates from the equation (your bodies typical fuel source) your body begins searching for alternative fuel sources. Your body then decides, hey, I've got all this extra intake fat and stored body fat, lets use that. The body begins to mobilize that fat which forms ketone bodies, which get burned for fuel. This method is very muscle saving, and is amazing for dropping fat, however it is pretty hard on some folks due to the restrictions it can bring. A typical ketogenic diet is more like 65% Fat, 30% Protein, and 5% carbs (which should all be fibrous veggies). A weekly (or every ten days) carbup is done to refill the glycogen supply in your muscles. This also serves to restoke the metabolism.

A carb-cycling diet is based more near the macro breakdowns you listed, where you make use of no carbs, low carbs, and high carb days. Hal has posted a VERY comprehensive guide to carb cycling which you can see here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...t=carb+cycling

No matter how you go, whether it is a ketogenic diet (very low carb all the time except carbups) or a carb-cycling diet (higher carb days around heavy lifting days, med carbs during cardio days, no carb days following refeeds and on days off)

So it breaks down like this:

Carb-cycling = Awesome, pretty easy to stick to.
                          Ketogenic = Insane fat loss, no carbs = bland diet that is hard to stick with for most.

SCT
                          Back to the basics!

Comment

i do not consider keto diets to be healthy nor do I think it's a good way to preserve muscle.
                            www.elitefitsystems.com

Comment

i do not consider keto diets to be healthy nor do I think it's a good way to preserve muscle.
                              I so saw that coming too :P My only response if that we will have to agree to disagree, or get into a debate in which I will undoubtedly win by throwing the male model card (hehe, jk)

SCT
                              Back to the basics!

Comment

Working...
                              X