In-Season Football Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Season Football Training

I need a routine for football so I can maintain strength and give me a mental boost over everyone. Or, maybe gain some strength hehe. I need a routine though. I was thinking I would stick to my routine I left off with but I read a lot of people doing Bill Starr's 5x5 for football. I have a machine at my school gym that I drew from memory. You stand in a squat rack type thing and they have these 2 handles that you grasp and you just basically shoot them up with your shoulders and legs. Its hard to describe but maybe the pic will help (JK). I want to lift Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Reason being, I have games on Thursdays and Fridays usually. so that way, I have a day before and after to rest up from my wounds. I will lift in the morning before school then go to practice on Monday. Please help me with the right choice!! I come to you guys for alot, I know but its cause I get good advice from you and quick answers. Thanks alot guys!

Which routine should I go with? (Note: I will had that exercise into every day)

Monday – Heavy Day
    Squat – 5 sets of 5
    Bench – 5 sets of 5
    Powercleans – 5 sets of 5
    2 sets of weighted hypers
    4 sets of weighted Sit-ups

Wednesday – Light Day
    Squat – 4 sets of 5
    Incline Bench – 4 sets of 5
    High Pulls – 4 sets of 5
    Sit-ups – 3 sets

Friday - Medium
    Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
    Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
    Powercleans – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple
    Weighted Dips – 3 sets of 5-8
    Triceps and Biceps – 3 sets of 8 each

Is that good for lifting in-season? I need some serious help here so please help. I wont be lifting M,W,F I will be lifting Saturday, Sunday and Monday. It would help if I could find a 4 day routine. Will this work though?
    i!Please Support Me in My Log!i

I have alot of questions and Im still pretty to new to bodybuilding so can you please help me out?

5x5 is meant to be a strength gain workout and is probably best for the offseason IMO. Plus, this would be tough to do for three consecutive Sat-Mon as you have planned. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will tough to gain strength/size during football season because of the long workouts. You would have to eat really, really well and a lot of food. Speaking from HS football experience, if you are going to actually be playing, you will probably be too sore to get a good lift the next day. Personally, I would look into a workout that was meant for muscular endurance and strength maintenance and would stick to lighter weight/higher volume (12-15 reps). I would probably try a four day upper/lower split. just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by rcp197inIZ
      Personally, I would look into a workout that was meant for muscular endurance and strength maintenance
      ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by rcp197inIZ
        5x5 is meant to be a strength gain workout and is probably best for the offseason IMO. Plus, this would be tough to do for three consecutive Sat-Mon as you have planned. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will tough to gain strength/size during football season because of the long workouts. You would have to eat really, really well and a lot of food. Speaking from HS football experience, if you are going to actually be playing, you will probably be too sore to get a good lift the next day. Personally, I would look into a workout that was meant for muscular endurance and strength maintenance and would stick to lighter weight/higher volume (12-15 reps). I would probably try a four day upper/lower split. just my .02
        Monday (Upper A)
        Pull Ups 2 x 8-10
        Incline Bench Press 2 x 8-10
        One Arm Row 2 x 8-10
        Dips 2 x 8-10
        Straight Bar Curl 1 x 8-10
        DB Overhead Press 1 x 8-10

Thursday (Upper B)
        Chin Ups 2 x 8-10
        Flat Bench Press 2 x 8-10
        Bent Row 2 x 8-10
        Decline Bench Press 2 x 8-10
        Hammer Curl 1 x 8-10
        Military Press 1 x 8-10

Tuesday (Lower A)
        Squat 2 x 8-10
        Stiff Leg Deadlift 2 x 8-10
        Leg Press 2 x 8-10
        Standing Calf Raise 2 x 12-15
        Hack Squats 2 x 8-10

Friday (Lower B)
        Squats 2 x 8-10
        Deadlift 2 x 8-10
        Leg Press 2 x 8-10
        Seated Calf Raise 2 x 8-10
        Hack Squats 2 x 8-10

Hows that? Except I will change the reps to 12-15 of course. How important is dieting during this? I mean, I am not going to get very much size during the season. Im starting to think, is it really worth it? Im not ready to diet full-blown again I dont think. I just gotta get some motivation or something.

I have alot of questions and Im still pretty to new to bodybuilding so can you please help me out?

Comment

Originally posted by Alerux
          Monday (Upper A)
          Pull Ups 2 x 8-10
          Incline Bench Press 2 x 8-10
          One Arm Row 2 x 8-10
          Dips 2 x 8-10
          Straight Bar Curl 1 x 8-10
          DB Overhead Press 1 x 8-10

Thursday (Upper B)
          Chin Ups 2 x 8-10
          Flat Bench Press 2 x 8-10
          Bent Row 2 x 8-10
          Decline Bench Press 2 x 8-10
          Hammer Curl 1 x 8-10
          Military Press 1 x 8-10

Tuesday (Lower A)
          Squat 2 x 8-10
          Stiff Leg Deadlift 2 x 8-10
          Leg Press 2 x 8-10
          Standing Calf Raise 2 x 12-15
          Hack Squats 2 x 8-10

Friday (Lower B)
          Squats 2 x 8-10
          Deadlift 2 x 8-10
          Leg Press 2 x 8-10
          Seated Calf Raise 2 x 8-10
          Hack Squats 2 x 8-10

Hows that? Except I will change the reps to 12-15 of course. How important is dieting during this? I mean, I am not going to get very much size during the season. Im starting to think, is it really worth it? Im not ready to diet full-blown again I dont think. I just gotta get some motivation or something.
          Looks good... I would add the Power cleans back in and maybe some travelling lunges on leg day and get rid of the hack squats. Maybe change the Military Press to Push Press also. They'll be better for building the explosiveness. Diet is very important, especially if you are practicing and lifting hard. You want to take in enough quality calories to at least maintain what you have or your body will start using your muscle mass as fuel. What position do you play? Good luck!

Comment

I play WR on offense but im not an ordinary Receiver. I love to hit the Corner. and I will make sure he knows im there and hes not getting to the RB easy. They hate it. I got 2 scratches on my eyes cause I popped this guy pretty hard and he yanked on my facemask but he scratched my eyes. I was pretty pissed so I hit him in the shoulder and he fell over

On defense, I play FS but im getting reps at DE and Coach said I might be getting moved there.

How many calories do you think I should get in?

Comment

Originally posted by Alerux

This is called the Jammer by Hammer Strength, it is a great machine to use and develop explosive strength on. I love using this for general GPP workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                This is called the Jammer by Hammer Strength, it is a great machine to use and develop explosive strength on. I love using this for general GPP workouts.

those things are pimmpp

do alot of that work.. high weight, high reps you should do that til you can no more. than do another set. cos in football, you need to go hard all the time. even if your exhausted.

i would do alot of plyometric work too... box stuff, ladder stuff, etc..

develops real quick foot speed and better agility, something crucial for WR or FS and at DE it wonthrut any either, better jump off the snap etc

Comment

I know this isnt really in-season but this is what i do (And this is what i do for rugby):

During the season, ill just go to the gym as per usual and throw in alot more Cardio, basically my cutting session

During the off-season, ill really bulk up, stack up on calories and just go for pure strength training, basically my bulk

This puts me in a pretty good position come mid-season, although im still pretty good at the begining. It means ive usually got a lot stronger and leaner pre-season and about a month into the season i get my fitness right up and peak until the season finishes.
                  Your opponent can only win if you allow them too

Comment

Working...
                  X